Twenty-First Century Footballer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

seand wrote: "The Westfield Matildas", Jeezus wept.
    Ties in nicely with "The Caltex Socceroos".

Hey, the FFA don't have a pot to piss in. They need all the money they can get.

Comment

We've had the first one in the Football League today.

A striker called Callum Styles came on for Bury for the last quarter of an hour. Born March 28th 2000.

Comment

Excellent. Very Millennium name too...

Comment

Is it? I was hoping for a double-barrelled, myself.

Kyle Teatowel-Chigley, or something.

longeared, where did you hear that he was first? (That said, I am sure we'd have heard if someone had done it before today)

Comment

longeared wrote: We've had the first one in the Football League today.

A striker called Callum Styles came on for Bury for the last quarter of an hour. Born March 28th 2000.
            His first touch, with about two minutes of normal time left to play, was greeted by very loud cheers.

Ryan Lowe's last touch, when he slotted a 94th minute penalty in his last game for Bury, nearly took the roof off. We had the odd sight of a footballer then simply holding his arm and outstretched palm to pitch invaders, who did exactly as he gestured to them and scuttled back into the South Stand.

Comment

longeared wrote: We've had the first one in the Football League today.

And according to Bill Edgar in the Times today, Bury fielded the first player born in the 1990s too, David Worrall who played for yesterday's visitors Southend United.

Comment

Sobering to think that we'll soon be able to post a thread saluting the last 1970s-born player to grace our national game...

Comment

Messrs Carroll (1977-) and Hughes and McAuley (1979-) should all be in the NI Euros Squad. Big G has also extended his Albion contract for next season.

Comment

I gather Eiður Guðjohnsen may also make an appearance at the ripe old age of 37.

Comment

So - is 16-year-old Jack Aitchison the UK's first scoring twenty-first century footballer?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/36240114

Comment

Bury deducted three points for fielding Callum Styles

Comment

Sake. I thought we left the fielding of ineligible players behind when we were expelled from the FA Cup in 2006/07.

Comment

Retrospective deducation? Pah! Should have been relegated. Disgusting cheats!

(Nah, not really.)

Comment

jwdd27 wrote: The first post-1990 Premier League player, because nothing else counts, was Matthew Briggs of Fulham (me neither), who was actually born in 1991. Now at Colchester.
                              Huh. I was at that game. It was at Old Trafford. None of the Fulham fans knew who he was either. He ended up being a half handy full back for a while.

Comment

Farnborough's full-back Jordan Goater, born August 2000. Argh.

Comment

Ethan Ampadu, born September 2000. Playing - make that starting - for Exeter in the league cup today.

Comment

His dad kwame played for Ireland at every level except the senior team but he's already played for Wales with England and Ghana hovering around as well, no pressure there for a 15 year old!

Comment

Not the only one last night - Ryan Sessegnon (May 2000) started for Fulham.

Comment

It's at the alarming stage all of a sudden where the youngest professional footballers are so much younger than me (20+ years now) I can recall where I was and what I was doing in the month they were born. It's not just like it was some random term of school anymore – May 2000 was the month I turned 21, for example. Ethan Ampadu was born after the Sydney Olympics, after Big Brother debuted, more recently than Kylie Minogue returned in gold hotpants for Spinning Around, and after Oops...I Did It Again, The Real Slim Shady, Rock DJ or Groovejet (If This Ain't Love) topped the charts. I've got cousins who are over 20 years younger than me, one of whom is 16 this month, and it's just struck me Ampadu is even younger than him. Jeez.

Comment

Amapadu is younger than my son mentioned upthread who is starting his football career in a reasonably positive fashion.

Comment

Resurrecting the thread to note that Sessegnon (R) became the first post 2000 Premier League scorer yesterday, in roughly the same week as Jadon Sancho became the first England player born in the 00s.

Comment

Amanda is living up to the expectations of this thread and beyond.

Comment

This thread got old fast. Liverpool kid born in 2002, on as sub.

Comment

Is this the one that Bayern want to pay £35m for?

Comment

Nope,the 16-year-old is Liverpool's Ki-Jana Hoever. Bayern are after Chelsea's 18-year-old Callum Hudson-Odoi.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X