Welsh Cup 2015

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Welsh Cup 2015

I know a lad who plays for Caerau Ely (based just outside Cardiff) in the Welsh Football League. Saturday they have a game against Carmarthen Town in the fourth round of the Welsh Cup, which is one of the biggest ever in their history. So that's my Saturday game sorted.

Anyone else watching the Welsh Cup this year?

Welsh Cup 2015

Haven't watched it in over a decade. Which is a bit of a shame really. Porthcawl Town Athletic are invariably knocked out early so there isn't even that hook.

Comment

Welsh Cup 2015

I went to Carmarthen's game in the last round, when they won 4-2 at Undy Athletic, which was one of the biggest games in Undy's history. Good game with an upset on the cards for much of the afternoon before Carmarthen got a couple of late goals.

Comment

Welsh Cup 2015

They should commemorate the 1935 final, which was Tranmere Rovers against Chester City.

Comment

Welsh Cup 2015

Yeah, it used to be a feature of the Welsh Cup, didn't it, that lower League English clubs would participate. I remember Jimmy Greaves making some smart comments one year when Hednesford Town got to the final.

My favourite Welsh Cup story was how it enabled non-League Merthyr Tydfil to beat Serie A side Atalanta at Pennydarren Park in the late 80's. Different times.

Comment

Welsh Cup 2015

Today's Welsh Cup is a hollowed out husk compared to the pre-1995 version.

Having said that my favourite Welsh Cup related story comes from 2012. It's the one where we (The Bangor City Supporters' Association) tried organised a 50th anniversary celebration of the Bangor v Napoli tie.

We made a t-shirt, we asked 3 members of the 1962 Bangor team to attend and they did and we even organised a fans match against the London Napoli supporters' club.

We booked the Neopolitan's hotel rooms, we devised tactics, I was going in goal. Naturally the Napoli fans cancelled on us two days before the occasion.

We've got Conwy Borough (used to be Conwy United) on Saturday.

Comment

Welsh Cup 2015

Some classic Pathe stuff

Ban-Gor v Cardiff 1962 Semi

Same thing 1964

Ban-Gor v Swansea 1961

Comment

Welsh Cup 2015

Thanks for this. I may nip down to the Quay to watch my old team, The Nomads, at home to Bala.

Comment

Welsh Cup 2015

Holywell v Aberystwyth could be more appealing.

Comment

Welsh Cup 2015

I played for Holywell for a season too, but I'm from Connah's Quay and we go back a long way.

Comment

Welsh Cup 2015

hednesford got to the final in 1992, played cardiff city

Comment

Welsh Cup 2015

Last game I saw was Montgomery Town v Penmaenmawr Phoenix in the last qualifying round a couple of years ago. Sunny day, great game, and a shock 2-0 win for the mighty Phoenix.
                        I love the Welsh Cup, have good memories of watching an epic semi-final at Newtown in 1999 between Conwy Utd and Carmarthen Town. Kevin Ellison was Conwy's main man, but got man marked out of the match and Carmarthen scraped through.
                        Won't be at the Conwy Bangor game tomorrow unfortunately, but it should be a cracker, neither team is having a good season league wise but a cup run would save the season. I really hope Bangor don't drop out of the LoW, it would be a disaster if they did.

Comment

Welsh Cup 2015

OK, so I don't think Carmarthen Town are going to win the Welsh Cup. They won today thanks to having a good keeper and Caerau missing lots of chances first half. 0-0 at full time, 4 goals for Carmarthen in the first 15 minutes of extra time. 2 sendings off. A very ropey pitch. Classic cup tie, really.

There was very little between the two sides and 4-0 was flattery of the highest order.

This hasn't persuaded me to make Welsh Premier League football a regular thing as all the football was played by Caerau. Carmarthen favoured the boot it up the field and run after it approach.

They also had a horrible purple strip.

Comment

Working...
                          X