Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

R.I.P. Udo Lattek

Udo Lattek has died at the age of 80.

The man had an incredible career. He was youth coach in the DFB set-up when Bayern appointed him to succeed Branko Zebec, shortly after Zebec had led Bayern to their first Bundesliga title. Apparently Lattek was recommended by Beckenbauer.

Having coached Uli Hoeness and Paul Breitner in the national youth team he brought them to Bayern. At Bauyern, he won the league three times in a row between 1972 and 74. He also led them to the European Cup in 1974.

In 1975 he was fired during Bayern's terrible hangover season. By next season he was Mönchengladbach's coach, winning the title in 1976 and 1977 (and almost in 1978).

He left Gladbach in 1979 and had two seasons at Dortmund before going to Barcelona.

At Barcelona he was sacked in a showdown with Diego Maradonna. The player was chronically unpunctual. So one day he was late for the bus to a training camp, and Lattek ordered the driver to leave without Maradonna, who then complained that Lattek couldn't motivate him anymore. A few days later Lattek was sacked.

He then returned to Bayern, who were having one of their melodramatic crises. Lattek was supposed to be an interim coach; he won the title three more times in a row, 1985,86,87.

He filled in at Schalke and Köln (where he was sporting director), and in 2000 came out of retirement to rescue Dortmund from relegation.

One of the great coaches. RIP.

R.I.P. Udo Lattek

I only really got wind of Udo Lattek from 1990 onwards, which was after he'd enjoyed his major successes.

I know you shouldn't speak ill of the recently deceased and all that but, well, I thought he always came across as a bit of a horrible bastard.

If I were an even bigger bastard than I am already, I'd post that photo of him sitting in a Müllermilch deckchair looking faintly ridiculous.

Comment

R.I.P. Udo Lattek

The guy was a FC Köln fan, and I have two pics of him with my father. That makes up for his personal failings.

Comment

R.I.P. Udo Lattek

how can you get sacked after winning three titles and a european cup?

Comment

R.I.P. Udo Lattek

For the same reason why Klopp is veering very close to getting fired after winning two titles and nearly the Champions League. Bayern won only seven of their first 21 Bundesliga games that season.

Comment

R.I.P. Udo Lattek

Anyway, all I really remember of Lattek is that he was in charge of that thuggish Barcelona team of filthbags who won the Cup-Winners' Cup in 1982.

Comment

R.I.P. Udo Lattek

The Awesome Berbaslug!!! wrote: how can you get sacked after winning three titles and a european cup?
              Bayern were 14th and lucky that the four teams below them (Werder, Stuttgart, TeBe Berlin and Wuppertal) were woeful.

The end came after a 1-0 defeat at Hamburg. The previous week Bayern had beaten Düsseldorf 4-0, the first after five without a win (including embarrassing defeats to Bochum [0-3] and Kaiserslautern [2-5]). And, of course, there was the shock of the 6-0 defeat against Kickers Offenbach on the opening day of the season.

Still, Bayern were still on course to defend the European Cup. So the comparison to Klopp isn't wrong.

I suspect that Lattek "lost the dressing room", which of course had its share of outspoken and influential characters.

Comment

Working...
              X