• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brazil 1981

Beating WG 4-1 in the Mundialito. Seginho looks surprisingly good:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWCpR9ZVfEE

Winning 2-1 in Germany. Amazing goal by Cerezo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4GHokhRT4xk

Comfortable win at Wembley in a bit of a stroll. Great control by Zico on the goal. Reinaldo looks very fast* but how big a loss was he really when he was injured for Espana 82?

Eight of the starting XI from the World Cup were already in the Wembley line-up, the exceptions being Leandro, Falcao and Serginho.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7KhPYRXW2lQ

http://www.11v11.com/matches/england-v-brazil-12-may-1981-236519/

*Very poor decision by the ref to blow for the professiional foul when he was still able to score.

Brazil 1981

West Germany were comfortably regarded as Europe's best side in 1981. England were all over the place, they'd lost in Romania and would follow this match up by losing in Switzerland to put qualification for Espana '82 in serious doubt. In September, that looked almost certain when they lost to Norway in "that" game. But Romania also contrived to lose at home to the Swiss when a win would have seen them go to Spain, and England still scraped through.

Comment

Brazil 1981

West-Germany hadn't lost a game since the defeat to Austria in the 1978 World Cup. Twenty-something undefeated games, including a European Championship win half a year earlier. After that, West Germany beat France 4-1, won 3-1 in Bulgaria

Then came that silly competition of former World Cup winners (plus Holland) during the winter break. Germany were caught cold, losing 2-1 to Argentina and 4-1 to Brazil. And with that, the German press turned on Jupp Derwall, big time. That defeat against Brazil was considered a national disgrace. And for an hour, Germany had played well, even taking the lead, before they wilted in the mid-day heat. Still, Derwall had lost all capital with that defeat.

Germany went on to beat all European opposition that year, except a home defeat against Brazil. There were resounding wins in that series: 7-1 and 4-0 against Finland, 2-0 in Poland, 3-1 in Austria, 4-0 against Bulgaria, 8-0 against Albania...

In 1982, Germany lost again to Brazil, and drew in Argentina. But they beat Portugal, Czechoslavakia and Norway. Derwall started to look stronger again, as far as the press was concerned, but then came Algeria, Gijon and Schumacher's foul.

Derwall took his team to the World Cup final, and so the press could not call for his head. 1982 ended poorly, with a defeat to Northern Ireland, and 1983 started with a defeat to Portugal. When Germany conceded the last-minute goal that knocked them out in the Euro 1984, the press got their wish and Derwall quit before he was pushed.

The media (and much of the public) never wanted Derwall to follow Schön. That defeat to Brazil in Montevideo was the start of the dismantling of Jupp Derwall.

Comment

Brazil 1981

The Germans were, I'm sure, still clear 2nd favourites at the start of Espana 82. The hosts and Argentina were maybe joint 3rd, then (despite being shit in qualifiers) England. I don't think Italy (bribe scandal) and Poland (over the hill) were fancied, although there was some money on the USSR, France and maybe the Czechs, Hungary and Yugolavia ("dark horses").

But overall, I can clearly remember thinking in early June 1982 that this was going to be a two-horse race between Brazil and the Germans, which Brazil had swung in their favour with the two wins in 1981.

Comment

Brazil 1981

G-Man wrote: When Germany conceded the last-minute goal that knocked them out in the Euro 1984, the press got their wish and Derwall quit before he was pushed.
          The irony is that West Germany played pretty well in that game, hit the woodwork three times, and but for Luis Arconada would have won by a few goals. Though I'd say not too many people felt sorry for them at the time.

Comment

Brazil 1981

Yes, Serginho probably playing the game of his life there in that Mundialito meeting - but, Jeez, where the hell was the German defence for those goals?

I note that the commentator still felt the need to make reference to 1966 following the (clearly over the line) winning goal in the home friendly...

Comment

Brazil 1981

Please stop saying 'Espana '82'. Spain is the English name of the country. And it's España, anyway.

Comment

Brazil 1981

Did the fact that Brazil and WG had never met in the World Cup attract more attention to those 'friendlies'?

Comment

Brazil 1981

Pat McGatt wrote: Please stop saying 'Espana '82'. Spain is the English name of the country. And it's España, anyway.
                  Do you call it Italy '90 then? That's fucking weird.

Comment

Brazil 1981

What about Nippon/Hanguk 2002 and Deutschland 2006?

Italia 90 certainly rolled nicely off the tongue though, nobody calls it Italy 90.

I was too young to watch Spain/Espana 82 at the time so am not in a position to comment.

Comment

Brazil 1981

I never really talk about World Cups other than Italia 90, so this conversation is largely irrelevant to me. Not that this will stop me having my ever more ludicrous say.

Japanorea '02. Why the fuck not.

Comment

Brazil 1981

I have no idea what the Mundialito is though. Mundialito? Mun-dee-ah-lee-toe. Nah. Nothing.

Comment

Brazil 1981

The World Cup is the Mundial.

Comment

Brazil 1981

Mate, I know. I've seen football boots before.

Comment

Brazil 1981

It reminds me of Naranjito, the mascot for Espana 82. That must have meant "little orange".

Comment

Brazil 1981

And we've probably done this before, but as in Portuguese the suffix is -inho (Ronaldinho, eg) what is a "Mouro" (from which Mourinho must come)?

Comment

Brazil 1981

It reminds me of Naranjito, the mascot for Espana 82. That must have meant "little orange".
                                  I think it still does. And Juanito - who played for the hosts - was probably 'Little John'.

Comment

Brazil 1981

And we've probably done this before, but as in Portuguese the suffix is -inho (Ronaldinho, eg) what is a "Mouro" (from which Mourinho must come)?
                                    As EIM once pointed out on here, "Mour" translates as "penis".

Comment

Working...
                                    X