Riquelme Retires

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Riquelme Retires

Green Calx wrote: Journalists who quote local taxi drivers in their dispatches from abroad ought to be gassed.

Carry on.
    If I were gay I would marry you. Travel writers in general need to die too, along with most foreign correspondents.

Wedding still on, right?

Comment

Riquelme Retires

In fairness, Buenos Aires isn't really 'abroad' for Marcela (the author of that article). And editors like you to stick something from 'the fan on the street' in sometimes (although I almost never take taxis, so they're not the ones I personally tend to quote).

Comment

Riquelme Retires

These people in Morbo just offer storytelling devices; it's a way into a story through a character who gives voice to an idea that the writer can then run with. Although I don't read much travel writing these days, in general it's a genre I can appreciate if the writer can tell an interesting story. To that end, I definitely enjoy football writing that takes me into scenes rather than simply describing history. Perhaps the blurbs on the back of All Played Out (or maybe it was the front cover) about the book being gonzo football journalism was a bit much but I definitely appreciate attempts to use the devices that work well in literary journalism to narrate travel or football travel.

Comment

Originally posted by Flynnie View Post
          I'll never forget him visibly shitting his pants when he had to take a penalty against Jens Lehmann.

Muchos gracias for choking, Juan.
          Riquelme wasn't adverse to stepping up to the plate, though, as his penalty for Boca in the Libertadores final against Cruz Azul shows. That said, this is one of the youtube clips I keep coming back to again and again, first to gaze in wonder at the display of small firecrackers tossed from the crowd before the shoot-out, and more pertinently for this thread, to watch Riquelme have a virtual meltdown (praying like a maniac) after he'd successfully converted his own spot kick:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5b0AdwQed3g

Comment

Working...
          X