Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ultra Sensitive

From a Bristol City message board.

Dave, I need you to explain why I was asked to remove my flag from the Dolman stand for the West Ham game. there were two other flags hanging from the railings on the stand so I attached mine. it was not offending any spectators vision. it was there for 40 mins prior to kick off and then two stewards arrived and started to take it down . fortunately my season ticket is directly behind it row A block D seat 23.

when I asked what the problem was I was told it had to be removed because I had not asked permission to hang it. PLEASE the flag spent 4 years hanging in the East End in fact I actually met you and you very kindly arranged a meeting between myself and the stadium manager to measure the flag and have hooks drilled into the old East End wall so I could hang it every game. I asked if the other BCFC flags were also going to be removed and I was told they had permission to hang them. apparently the "directors" were unhappy with mine. (I find this very hard to believe) .My flag has been around the country following BCFC and has NEVER been refused erection even at Wembley.

I have had a full page article published in the match day programme depicting it with Willem 11 fans under the heading' crossing the divide'. So it was to my bitter disappointment that I was told to remove it. I must admit that I did take it down for 20 mins but just prior to kick off I put it back up as my defiance got the better of me, there it stayed in pride of place for the first half, I though that people had seen sence however during the half time the stewards were back and down it came again. I was told I was on camera and the conversation was being filmed. If I agreed to taking it down I could keep the flag if not then it would be confiscated.

I could complain to the club if necessary. I do not wish to do this as I find the whole thing beyond comprehension , As I have said I have hung the flag proudly in many grounds across the country but apparently it is not welcome in my own stadium .

Please can you review this and get the necessary authority to allow me to hang my flag on the rails on the Dolman Stand during this period of redevelopment.

I would also like a full explanation as to why it had to be removed because the one I was given was B.S ! and I don't mean BRISTOL SPORT.

Otherwise I t was a fantastic day , things like this are petty and just unnecessary
    thanks Dave
    There was a reply.

I'm happy to clear this one up.

Your flag contained the word 'Ultras" and was prominently displayed, on national television, in front of 8 million people. There is a proven and established connection between some European Ultra groups and far right extremism, racism, fascism and organised hooliganism. BCFC wants to make it very clear that it rejects any such association, and that those in favour of using violence in the name of Bristol City FC are not wanted at Ashton Gate. They bring shame on the club and our City. I am sure that the vast majority of ours supporters will agree with this.

I am sure this reply will generate a long and passionate response from some supporters, claiming that the UK Ultra scene has no connection with these groups, and that they are more about generating passionate support, flags, banners, atmosphere etc. This may well be the case, but the association is still there in most people's minds and is not one we welcome. Flags are welcome, as is vocal and passionate support, but not the word Ultras.

This is not about 'suits' versus the people. It's about BCFC (and Bristol Sport) making a very clear statement about its values. We are a family club who welcome everyone to Ashton Gate, young and old, and encourages support in all its varied forms, providing it stays within the law.

For that reason, the word 'Ultras' has no place at Ashton Gate.

I look forward to the ensuing debate.
    It seems "the Ultras" featured in a 2008 Bristol City programme. Didn't everyone look fantastic in their free corporate scarves yesterday!

Ultra Sensitive

Wonder how he feels about the word "Tory"

Comment

Ultra Sensitive

They just don't understand ultra culture.

Comment

Ultra Sensitive

I beg to differ.

Comment

Ultra Sensitive

What an utter tool. He looks forward to the debate but has already made a decision.

We welcome everyone (except UK Ultras natch) to Ashton Gate.

Comment

Ultra Sensitive

UK Ultras are awful though, aren't they? Ultras without politics are just dicks with flags, and the UK ultra scene is noticeably politics free.

NB - I'm not including the Green Brigade in, as I can't begin to untangle the 'UK' hot potato. Here. Can you untangle a potato? Hmmmm.

Comment

Ultra Sensitive

Tangled potatoes

Comment

Ultra Sensitive

Ridiculous. They should have just used the potato skins to do the same job.

Comment

Ultra Sensitive

So Solidarnosc Crew wrote: UK Ultras are awful though, aren't they? Ultras without politics are just dicks with flags, and the UK ultra scene is noticeably politics free.
                  Apart from Clapton, who we've recently discussed.

Comment

Ultra Sensitive

Yup. They're in my good books.

(Which will no doubt come as great relief, that some weird internet-dweller thinks they're alright)

Comment

Ultra Sensitive

I figured there had to be an Ultras/Wurzels/cider gag here somewhere but this is the best I could do :

Which is rubbish, frankly.

Comment

Ultra Sensitive

So Solidarnosc Crew wrote: UK Ultras are awful though, aren't they? Ultras without politics are just dicks with flags, and the UK ultra scene is noticeably politics free.
                        This at Villa when they played Sunderland under di Canio was good though - especially given how quiet the rest of football was about him.

Comment

Ultra Sensitive

Comment

Ultra Sensitive

I thought that said "Being Yoda is not entertainment" for a moment there.

So Solidarnosc Crew wrote: I'm not including the Green Brigade in, as I can't begin to untangle the 'UK' hot potato.
                            If the Greens aren't included, the debate can't go ahead. Isn't that the rules now?

Comment

Ultra Sensitive

I get the -ODA part, but in what way does the P look like a Y? How bad is your handwriting?

On a sidenote, being poor is entertainment. Pulp wrote a song about it, so it must be true.

Comment

Ultra Sensitive

The really scary thing about that link is that the book title includes "...the early years" clearly leaving it open for a sequel.

Comment

Ultra Sensitive

Didn't realise that John Hemmingham, the leader of the Pukka Pies England Band, once used his position as Chief Executive of the Owls Trust (which he created) to facilitate a Ken Bates takeover at Sheffield Wednesday.

Then was Bates' Head of Customer Service at Leeds.

Don't understand why this isn't brought up more often.

Comment

Ultra Sensitive

Trust me it is brought up very often on Wednesday forums.

Comment

Ultra Sensitive

Harry Truscott wrote: I figured there had to be an Ultras/Wurzels/cider gag here somewhere but this is the best I could do :

Too bloody right it is. Would you think, "Ah, a Frenchman. Frenchmen drink wine. Liebfraumilch is wine, Therefore Frenchmen drink Liebfraumilch"?

That's the trouble with you big-city boys. You duddn't understand howms we do it in the sticks.

Comment

Ultra Sensitive

To be fair, even political ultras are shit. Hardly many deep political thinkers among their ranks and it's difficult to do much politics with a sheet and some paint.

Comment

Ultra Sensitive

These ultra groups sound as cringey as the supporters groups they have here in the US, my local one is the "Tower Bridge Batallion".

People who take flags to the match and sing songs for the duration do my nut as does all the choreography and the contrived nature of it all. I like to get behind the team but I find the overly organized nature of it to be fake.

Comment

Ultra Sensitive

Pat McGatt wrote: it's difficult to do much politics with a sheet and some paint.
                                            That is politics, Pat.

Comment

Ultra Sensitive

treibeis wrote:
                                              Originally posted by Harry Truscott
                                              I figured there had to be an Ultras/Wurzels/cider gag here somewhere but this is the best I could do :

Too bloody right it is. Would you think, "Ah, a Frenchman. Frenchmen drink wine. Liebfraumilch is wine, Therefore Frenchmen drink Liebfraumilch"?

That's the trouble with you big-city boys. You duddn't understand howms we do it in the sticks.
                                              Hey, I'll have you know I scoured The Wurzels discography for anything suggesting ultra-related puns but drew a blank. The above is the product of the pathetic desperation of putting "ultra" and "cider" in to google.

You should be pleased I didn't widen my search to "tractor" and "carrots".

Comment

Ultra Sensitive

I'm quite fond of the Dorf-Ultras here, although they can get a bit boisterous sometimes.

For example, when Norderstedter Arroganz meet up with the Heidefighter from TSV Buchholz 08 in the Hamburg-Liga, you often witness scenes like this:

Comment

Ultra Sensitive

Harry Truscott wrote:
                                                  You should be pleased I didn't widen my search to "tractor" and "carrots".
                                                  it'd probably be something like traktor racing volvo terror

Comment

Working...
                                                  X