ISIS Liége

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ISIS Liége

This delightful banner was unfurled at the Standard Liége-Anderlecht game this afternoon. Making reference to ISIS, I think the Standard fans appear to be showing their antipathy towards Steven Defour, the former Standard player who returned to Belgium for Anderlecht after a stint in Portugal.

Anderlecht fans ripped up seats and threw them in response. Ironically, Defour was sent off in the 53rd minute and Standard won 2-0.

ISIS Liége

Comment

ISIS Liége

A few years ago I went to a Worcester City glamor friendly at Beveren, near Antwerp (Worcester's sponsor at the time had a Belgian parent company). The travelling army of 27 were directed to a metal cage structure on the terrace, a legacy of Anderlecht's firm smashing up the place after a 3-0 thrashing at the end of the previous season.

Comment

ISIS Liége

That banner is appalling. Football fans can be such pathetic cunts.

Comment

ISIS Liége

Defour's sending off wasn't really "ironic", his second booking was for booting the ball at the Liege supporters who had unfurled the banner.

Comment

ISIS Liége

That banner is really quite disgusting.

Comment

ISIS Liége

Jongudmund wrote: That banner is really quite disgusting.
              I thought we were all down with offensive satire these days?

Je Suis Liegeois.

Comment

ISIS Liége

I think that banner is pretty funny.

Comment

ISIS Liége

Well, not laugh out loud, hohoho, exactly like Michael McIntyre isn't kind of funny. But I don't think it's disgusting or appalling.

Comment

ISIS Liége

I'm impressed by the freakin' size of it. Where does one go to buy one of those and what would be the cost?

Comment

ISIS Liége

So Solidarnosc Crew wrote: Well, not laugh out loud, hohoho, exactly like Michael McIntyre isn't kind of funny. But I don't think it's disgusting or appalling.
                      It is pretty funny. Like, it's ridiculous and over-the-top to burn a shirt when your favourite player leaves, but to get a hundred-foot high banner of their decapitation made is just off-the-scale silly.

Got sympathy for Steven Defour if he's upset by it, but it is a bit funny.

Comment

ISIS Liége

Oh, and it's also daft to claim it's a reference to ISIS.

It's clearly a reference to Friday the 13th.

Comment

ISIS Liége

I think it's shocking that this thread wasn't titled "On me head, son".

Comment

ISIS Liége

Bizarre Löw Triangle wrote: Oh, and it's also daft to claim it's a reference to ISIS.

It's clearly a reference to Friday the 13th.
                            Is it? I'm not into horror so I wouldn't have a clue. In that case I can just about swallow back the bile that stuck in my throat. They're still pathetic cunts though.

Comment

ISIS Liége

Yeah, ISIS isn't really into ice hockey

Though isn't it a bit of a pastiche? Did Jason behead any of his victims with a scimitar?

Comment

ISIS Liége

jason voorhees to thread.

Comment

ISIS Liége

Looks like a machete rather than a scimitar. Think people are trying pretty hard to look for an ISIS link that's not there.

Comment

ISIS Liége

Indeed. I recall Jason punching someone's head off in a Friday The 13th film, not sure about using an implement though.

News reports that the fans responsible are looking at lengthy bans and fines. Sigh.

Comment

ISIS Liége

Bizarre Löw Triangle wrote:
                                      Originally posted by Jongudmund
                                      That banner is really quite disgusting.
                                      I thought we were all down with offensive satire these days?

Je Suis Liegeois.
                                      You thought wrong.

Comment

ISIS Liége

I used to live in Liege. Standard fans always came across as a bit of an odd bunch, and with a massive sense of entitlement.

Comment

ISIS Liége

with a massive sense of entitlement
                                          does that come as standard?

(sorry, I'll get my coat)

Comment

ISIS Liége

Whittaker wrote: I used to live in Liege. Standard fans always came across as a bit of an odd bunch, and with a massive sense of entitlement.
                                            It's the whole 'sleeping giant' syndrome.

Comment

ISIS Liége

Pat McGatt wrote:
                                              Originally posted by Whittaker
                                              I used to live in Liege. Standard fans always came across as a bit of an odd bunch, and with a massive sense of entitlement.
                                              That, and a very thinly disguised racism towards the Flemish.

Comment

ISIS Liége

Whittaker wrote:
                                                Originally posted by Pat McGatt
                                                Originally posted by Whittaker
                                                That, and a very thinly disguised racism towards the Flemish.
                                                ...which, to be fair, goes both ways.

In fact, there is no Walloon equivalent to the Vlaams Blok.

Comment

ISIS Liége

Pat McGatt wrote: In fact, there is no Walloon equivalent to the Vlaams Blok.
                                                  There is a broad sociopolitical difference between the two groups. The Flemish (or so it seems to me) have a big chip on their shoulder about having been culturally/economically dominated by Wallonian/Francophone interests, a situation that has been reversed with the decline of (typically Wallonian) heavy industry, and the Flemish successes in all the shite that makes people money these days (service industry and internet stuff I think).

Which isn't to say the Flemish nationalists types aren't as horrible bunch of shitbags as one would expect.

(And it's Vlaams Belang ('Flemish Interest') nowadays. Once found myself sharing the concourse of Zadar airport with a huge contingent from their youth wing. Fucking weird, repellent people.)

Comment

Working...
                                                  X