My Favorite Year: The Neutral Edition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There seems to be a lot going on right now with CAN, AFC, CONMEBOL U20 Olympics qualifiers, things potentially getting interesting in the Champions League (after a mostly humdrum group stage), and most of the top leagues having something resembling competitiveness near the top (Bundesliga seems to be done and dusted but Ligue 1, EPL, La Liga, and Serie A could still be interesting). In no way am I thinking that this is my favorite year to play with the WSC edited collection title, but I am wondering if folks think back to a specific season from the perspective of a neutral, which has been the best football season?

I assume a year with the WC or European Championship will stand out for most if that same season featured a competitive European Cup and some excitement in the leagues but maybe an odd year with really exciting qualifiers? Or maybe some combination of European and South American quality.

1988 would be the standout year from a neutral perspective. When I think of '88 I think of the Stein bros., Lawrie Sanchez and Marco Van Basten. The sight of John Barnes sitting inconsolable on the Wembley turf is embedded in my brain. Good times.

Comment

1982 had a title race that turned several times before Liverpool improbably won it from 12th place at Christmas, an underdog winning the European Cup final, and probably the best World Cup finals of all time. The FA Cup final was disappointing in that the underdogs didn't win it, but apart from that it had everything.

Comment

1994 for me, off the top of my head. First season watching Cardiff City properly (although result weren't great for us). Wales were awful as well but great World Cup. The Champions League still seemed interesting and akin to the European Cup. Manchester United won the Premiership (which, at that time, didn't quite seem the epitome of evil) with a great side. Great FA Cup final as well.

Comment

1969-70: Obviously Mexico 70 but also Leeds getting close to winning 3 trophies but getting pipped to all three.

1985-86 begam with a long Man U winning run, had a close run for the league title, Mexico 86, Terry Venables losing a European Cup final, and a great Dynamo Kiev side.

In 'odd' years, maybe 1972-73: Keegan-Toshack, Ajax, Jim Montgomery's save

1976-77: Liverpool's near treble, Tommy Docherty, Scots fan did up Wembley pitch, Ally MacLeod, Holland 2-0 at Wembley (perhaps the best football ever seen there?)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdKvkWn49lU

Comment

The answer for my generation is inevitably 1990 - the FA Cup semi finals were both classics, the final wasn't too bad, we had Newcastle and Sunderland going at it in the play offs, and then the whole Italia 90 bandwagon and aftermath.

Plus Carlisle were in sight of promotion before blowing it spectacularly on the last day and not even making the play offs.

And the music of course.

Comment

Working...
            X