Anchor's Away!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anchor's Away!

http://www.theguardian.com/media/2015/jan/23/adrian-chiles-replaced-by-mark-pougatch-itv-bbc?google_editors_picks=true

Anchor's Away!

ITV really did bite off a little too much when they signed up Mr Chiles for that crazy fee, eh? First, his Sunday evening chat show bites the dust, then the stint as anchor of Daybreak - and finally the role for which I assume he was mainly recruited is kaput...

Comment

Anchor's Away!

Jah Womble wrote: ITV really did bite off a little too much when they signed up Mr Chiles for that crazy fee, eh? First, his Sunday evening chat show bites the dust, then the stint as anchor of Daybreak - and finally the role for which I assume he was mainly recruited is kaput...
      Don't they always?

All of the qualities they recruit for from the BBC are shackled and hamstrung by the constraint of the running time to meet the commercial breaks.

Comment

Anchor's Away!

You'd think that they might've observed that despite his experience on live TV, Chiles isn't the best at ad-libbing, filling or thinking on his feet, however.

Comment

Anchor's Away!

If the last 25 years is anything to go by, Pougatch will be generally derided and then replaced in four or five years by someone else ITV have poached from the BBC.

Comment

Anchor's Away!

I don't mind Chiles, but I'm really pleased to hear Townsend's off.

Has Poughatch got a good face for radio?

Comment

Anchor's Away!

The co-pundits on the radio call him Poogers.

I can't take him seriously when they call him that.

Comment

Anchor's Away!

Applause to Guy for the thread title btw.

Hopefully Chiles will go back to the BBC, front up MOTD2 again, and turn it back to what it started out as; a genuinely different programme to its Saturday night edition.

Comment

Anchor's Away!

I like Pougatch, it'll be a shame to see him wasting his time on ITV and having to trot out their Premiercentric pap during Champions League games.

I'm not sure Chiles has a natural home anywhere on telly anymore: not photogenic or smarmy enough for the commercial channels, and chased the money far too hard to be credible on the Beeb.

Comment

Anchor's Away!

blameless wrote: I like Pougatch, it'll be a shame to see him wasting his time on ITV and having to trot out their Premiercentric pap during Champions League games.

I'm not sure Chiles has a natural home anywhere on telly anymore: not photogenic or smarmy enough for the commercial channels, and chased the money far too hard to bre credible on the Beeb.
                    What a bugger, eh?

He'll be reduced to his last 317 grand.

My heart bleeds.

Comment

Anchor's Away!

Oh, I think we can safely stick a zero on the end of that. (Well, we could if it were written out in full, obviously.)

Comment

Anchor's Away!

Jah Womble wrote:
                        Oh, I think we can safely stick a zero on the end of that. (Well, we could if it were written out in full, obviously.)
                        But hasn't he spent most of his money on buying a life-sized statue of Jeff Astle fashioned out of Tapioca?

Comment

Anchor's Away!

Guy Potger wrote:
                          Originally posted by Jah Womble
                          But hasn't he spent most of his money on buying a life-sized statue of Jeff Astle fashioned out of Tapioca?
                          Surely, he'd have eaten it if he had.

Comment

Anchor's Away!

I forget who it was that described Chiles as having a face 'like a Toby Jug full of steaming hot piss', but whoever it was nailed it.

Comment

Working...
                            X