• Show
Clear All

An english Morbo

Is there one?

Phil Ball'ss Morbo: The story of Spanish football
    Ulrich Hesse-Lichberger's Tor! The story of German football
    John Foot's Calcio: A history of Italian football
    Alex Bellos' Futebol: the Brazilian way of live

All excellent books which don't just feed you facts from year X to Y but offer great stories.

Is there one in the same spirit on English football or is that a too big topic to cover?
    There are thousands of books on the topic of English football, including the nine written about Billy Bremner's shoes in the European Cup final 1975, but is there an English Morbo?

An english Morbo

'Those Feet' by David Winner is pretty decent.

Comment

An english Morbo

The Football Man by Arthur Hopcraft dates from the late 1960s, but is still the best one.

Comment

An english Morbo

David Conn's The Beautiful Game ?

Comment

An english Morbo

I've still to read it but Englischer Fussball: A German View of Our Beautiful Game by Raphael Honigstein might fit the bill, sort of.

Comment

An english Morbo

One of the few books my father had at home when I was a kid was The Saturday Men by Leslie Frewin. It's nearly 50 years old, though.

Comment

An english Morbo

Those Feet looks interesting, but is that really an English Football history book or a special angle on it?

I'll check out the one you mentioned, Green. Still, some 60-80 years is a huge chunk to leave out. For starters it could be at least one chapter on the "export" of football. Without it having to be a patting-yourself-on-the-back thing. You read about all these clubs around the world started by British visitors or workers (AC Milan among them) and you wonder whether they are regarded back home at all for it. Was there a mission somewhere along the lines once the EFA was established. Did anyone in England know who Herbert Kilpin was 1969 when Milan won the European Cup?

Nef, that book looks like anything but English football history from early days up until now. Isn't that a very specific, modern days topic?

Comment

An english Morbo

http://www.wsc.co.uk/reviews/63-General/12107-the-game-of-our-lives

Perhaps not a long enough view though?

Comment

An english Morbo

Simon Inglis Football Grounds Of Great Britain is the best social commentary on English football up to the early 1990s. An updated version to cover ground developments during the Premier era would be a welcome conclusion to this history.

Comment

An english Morbo

I contacted Inglis on Twitter a while back to ask him if he was planning on updating his European football grounds book (which is brilliant, but came out in 1990 and is totally obsolete now). The answer was a definite no. So he'll probably not be updating the Britain one either.

Comment

An english Morbo

That's really too bad.

The definitive book on post-Sky football in England has yet to be written.

And I tend to doubt that a Brit will write it.

Comment

An english Morbo

ursus arctos wrote: That's really too bad.

The definitive book on post-Sky football in England has yet to be written.

And I tend to doubt that a Brit will write it.
                        Have you tried 'Moving The Goalposts'?

Comment

Working...
                        X