What happened to long-sleeved shirts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I keep seeing pictures of footballers wearing plain long-sleeved t-shirts under short-sleeved football shirts.

Have kit manufacturers stopped making long-sleeved football shirts, or am I imagining this?

Under-armour probably sponsor clubs not to wear long-sleeved shirts. Which is a shame, as footballers play better in long sleeves.

Comment

It's the Tyranny of the Base Layer, innit?

Does Arsenal's captain still get to choose if the whole team wears long or short sleeved shirts? That was ace.

Comment

I don't accept the concept of a long-sleeved t-shirt.

Comment

What?!

Comment

TonTon wrote: I don't accept the concept of a long-sleeved t-shirt.
            What else can you call them, though, apart from the generic 'top'? Sweatshirt suggests something heavier. Base layer has a bit too much of a mountaineering vibe about it, hikerdelic or no hikerdelic.

Comment

They aren't long sleeved T-shirts as they're not in the T shape. More like an M. Plus most of these undershirts are made of lycra type material rather than cotton.

Comment

Yes, "long-sleeved t-shirts" are the preserve of a James gig. These matt-spandexy things are base layers.

Comment

Harry Truscott wrote: Yes, "long-sleeved t-shirts" are the preserve of a James gig. These matt-spandexy things are base layers.

Base layer is such a wanky expression though.

Comment

M-Shape?!

This thread is vile.

Comment

T-shirts were called t-shirts because of the short sleeves. A long-sleeved t-shirt is an oxymoron.

Comment

TonTon wrote: T-shirts were called t-shirts because of the short sleeves. A long-sleeved t-shirt is an oxymoron.
                        Indeed.

Comment

What are you on about. It's just a T with extra long bits up top. It's defo not an M shape.

Comment

I know that you understand clothes and I don't, but you are wrong here. "Long-sleeved t-shirt" is simply not acceptable as a term.

Comment

Harbinger of Hope wrote: ...undershirts...
                              Undershirt isn't bad - it's got a bit of a 19th century gold prospector vibe about it.

Maybe the players should be required to wear full length long johns, complete with bum flap, like Yosemite Sam. All or nothing.

Comment

This is fucking ridiculous. You may as well say that you can't have green t-shirts because Ts aren't green (except green tea, obv). A t-shirt is a thing. A long-sleeved t-shirt is a thing. It's a t-shirt with long sleeves. An open sandwich isn't a thing though. I'm with you on that.

Comment

I didn't say "ts don't look like that". I said that t-shirts were called t-shirts BECAUSE OF THE SHORT SLEEVES.

Comment

Yeah. And now they've made a t-shirt with long sleeves. Thus making a long-sleeved t-shirt. A t-shirt with long sleeves. LONG-SLEEVED T-SHIRT.

Comment

Like a non-flammable match? Or...a hole-less colander?

Comment

Yeah, if you like. Except completely different, obviously. Because having long sleeves doesn't prevent a long-sleeved t-shirt from fulfilling its primary role.

Comment

TonTon wrote: Like a non-flammable match? Or...a hole-less colander?
                                          So what term do you deem acceptable?

Comment

A stick? A bowl?

Oh, sorry. For the garment? I dunno, sounds stupid to me. A thin sweatshirt? "perspireshirt"? "glowshirt"?

Comment

It's a jersey, innit? No sleeves? Guernsey.

Comment

Oh, how I loved the long sleeve football shirts of the good old days in the 70's!
                                                Especially Alan Clarke in his Admiral Leeds long sleeved yellow away shirt, with blue and white piping down the sleeves!Was this one of the coolest kits ever or have I just got carried away again with my nostalgia?

Comment

Allan Clarke was a right fucking nob. According to my Dad.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X