A change from the Old Boy Network

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Danny Mills exhibits a refreshing lack of disrespect towards a supposed legend.

I'm not too keen on Mills since his vapid defence of the farce that was League B, however this seemed a bit out of character for a sport that thinks even the most mediocre of head coaches and managers should be given oodles more time and respect, never mind that their efforts could drag a club down faster than the Lusitania. It's a bit like watching Gillette Soccer Special where the panel tiptoe their way around the flaws and weaknesses of the managerial incumbent, and ne'er speak of the possibility that he may be a complete and utter failure. External influences are always at fault - lack of transfer funds, lack of backing from the chairman, he didn't get enough time - but the individual who couldn't manage a fart in a toilet is exempt from all blame, it was just his bad luck and he'll soon find employment again.

In this instance, Mills goes against the grain and calls lacklustre management for what it is. I wish it'd happen more often.

Then, of course, Forest go and get 3 points at Derby.

You're right, though, it does make a nice change.

Comment

It's clearly a personal grudge Mills has with Pearce from their time at Man City though, he'd stick to the usual sanitised blather otherwise.

Comment

Hardly new. For instance Roy Keane thinks everybody but himself is a useless twat.

Comment

Should be more Keanes if only to break up a pundit-based world of chummy and non-critical opinion. From a viewpoint of, say, ex-player/manager newspaper columnists, it's a virtual landscape of carefully-worded non-controvery, where safe is the card that's usually played. I'm not saying that people in the sport should continually whale on the people who still occupy it, but you can hear the sound of eggshells being walked on when perhaps more stringent criticism should be applied. Brave is the ex-player/pundit, for example, who suggests that Harry Redknapp isn't all that.

Comment

'Ex-player/manager' is the key term here. The show-us-your-medals mentality is the biggest obstacle to getting decent commentary and analysis.

Comment

I thought Pearce had left Forest a few weeks ago?

Mills can fuck off an all. What a horrible little shite that man is. I can't remember why. I think he just looks like a snide though, doesn't he? Fullbacks are usually wankers. It comes from being bitter that you play in the worst position on the field. Only Denis Irwin escaped this fate. What a lovely man. Told me he didn't have a pen once. Great, great memories.

Comment

What if he did have a pen but couldn't be arsed to get it out of his pocket?

Characteristic full back's trick, that.

Comment

No. He genuinely didn't have a pen. I trust him. Now, on the other hand, if Evra told me he didn't have a pen...

Comment

Pat McGatt wrote: Hardly new. For instance Roy Keane thinks everybody but himself is a useless twat.
                    Keane also spends a lot more of his time thinking that he is a useless twat than most managers seem to. Even as a player he was driven by negativity, and his reaction to it. I always got the impression that he was driven by what he didn't want to be, as much as what he wanted to be. That's not a great recipe for a manager.

SSC, Mills was always putting the boot in to make up for not being all that great. A lot of snide reducer tackles.

Comment

This full-back theory definitely carries some weight - Ben Thatcher, anyone?

One of the few things Toshack got right in his second stint was booting him out of the squad.
                      It did mean a few square pegs in round holes at left back until the emergence of Bale but it was worth it in the end.

Comment

Didn't have a pen like Michael Owen hasn't seen films?

Comment

Nice response from Pearce:

"I'm not interested in what Danny's had to say...But I do apologise to him for putting Micah Richards in his place at Man City."

Comment

Nicely played.

Comment

Working...
                            X