Matchgoing weekend thread, 16-19 Jan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I didn't go. The pitch was covered in snow. Volunteers cleared it, the game went ahead, and we're losing 1-0 on a pitch completely unsuitable for our passing style of play. Our fans are fucking idiots, mate.

Comment

2-1. 92nd minute winner from a shovel wielding volunteer. Still glad I didn't go.

Comment

Why didn't you go? You were going to go, weren't you?

Comment

I had intended to. I'm not very well, my housemate sacked it off to go to an owl sanctuary with his missus, the weather is shite, and I'm broke. So I didn't. I stayed on the sofa with hot vimto and the radio.

Comment

The radio as in radio fcum?

Comment

Yeah. But the reception in Staly is shit so I binned it off and followed on Twitter in the end. It's more exciting on Twitter. Minutes of silence followed by "Corner to FC 5 RT 3 Fav"

Comment

You appear to have 8 (eight) games in hand over the league leaders.

Comment

Yeah. I fancy us to win the league this year.

Comment

Is that going to make you cross?

Comment

No. I'll take one more promotion. I'll defo take being CHAMPIONS so I can lord it over all the bumpkins, hicks, rednecks, wools and yonners that make up our league.

Comment

What the fuck is a yonner?

Comment

Is that because you want to avoid being professional, or you're scared of national competition?

Comment

It's like a wool but from Oldham, Rochdale, Burnley or wherever. Kettle, formerly of this parish, used to say yonner was a deeply offensive term. I can't remember why though, so until I'm reminded I'm going to continue using it.

Not enough people use the term 'joskin' any more either.

Comment

TonTon wrote: Is that because you want to avoid being professional, or you're scared of national competition?
                              I want to avoid the club tearing itself apart over the wankery you have to put up with in the Conference national. I certainly don't wish to play in the league, with official pizza partner tweets and shit websites.

Comment

I don't think you have to have the shit website.

Comment

But we have to do sponsored Papa John's tweets, right? Like have to else we're not allowed in the league?

I think squad numbers in the Conference are a step too far.

Comment

Squad numbers. Haha.

I don't know what would happen if you didn't do them. Would they throw you out? Seems unlikely.

Comment

I went to Millwall to see us win 3-1. Millwall are dreadful. Not Fulham or Blackpool dreadful, but dreadful all the same. We got a bit complacent at 2-0 up, so the second half was a bit nervy, bt we barely got out of second gear.

Off to the Amex on Wednesday night for the first time, where we might go top of the league.

Comment

We wanted squad numbers in the Combined Counties.

Comment

TonTon wrote: We wanted squad numbers in the Combined Counties.
                                          Course you did. Good money-spinner, innit?

Comment

That wasn't why. Do people make money from that name / number printing thing? Not much, I wouldn't have thought. Pain in the arse, too.

It's just better. And makes the programme easier.

Comment

san2sboro and Fussbudget are dead to me. S Club 7 indeed. It's a Bee-Gees song!

Comment

Hamish! Dougal! - I'd like to know more about Hull United. Had never heard of them until last week when they appointed Woodhouse. And they get 500+ attend.

Is it some sort of protest club against the whole Allam thing at Hull City?

Back on topic, though not strictly as it is midweek now, but I'm off to Mansfield v Stoke in the FA Youth Cup later. Kick-off time 7pm, which I presume is to do with the fact that it is possible that schoolboys (ie 15/16 year olds) could be playing. Is that it?

Comment

Third rate Leszno wrote: Not long home after witnessing a most enjoyable mugging at Kingsmeadow (sorry TonTon and FWN) - Carlisle being most untypical in coming from behind to win a match, but it could so easily have gone the other way as we were clinging on desperately at 2-1 for the last quarter hour.

Just when we knew the equaliser was coming, we broke upfield and somehow managed to score a third - a genuinely unexpected and cathartic moment after the proper old shit I've had to watch these last two seasons. I even managed to give David Amoo a pat on the head in the ensuing celebrations.
                                                  No apology necessary. In the interests of fair play we appear to have decided that it would be too mean spirited to beat teams that are below us in the table.

Comment

I'm sure followers of every side are convinced that they underperform against lowly-placed teams. Even allowing for that, Wimbledon's problem against teams well below them and/or on terrible runs of form seems to be reaching ridiculous proportions, especially at home.

Carlisle, Mansfield, Tranmere and Hartlepool are just a few of the strugglers to be handed results at Kingsmeadow this season and I'm sure it goes back through their entire time in the league.

I couldn't make Saturday so gave my season tickets to a friend and as I handed them over said with some certainty "Don't expect much, they always struggle against teams at the bottom".

Comment

Working...
                                                    X