The Youth are Getting Restless: CONMEBOL U20

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I tend to ignore most youth tournaments but am always more interested when Olympics qualifying is up for grabs. CONMEBOL U20/preolimpico started today.

As with most things South American, I will follow as closely as I can until another distraction appears, which will be CAN 2015. But for now I am going to be 2/2 on the first matchday, where goals are flying in.

I am less versed in these squads so wondering if other folks have more to say. I will note that Argentina's Simeone and either Correa or Martinez were working really well together. But amidst the Argentinan onslaught the goals of the match truly belong to Ecuador's Enriquez. Wow. Two top corner blasts (one from open play and one from a spot kick). Very impressive goals.

Paraguay-Bolivia is 8 minutes in and looking to follow the first match in terms of goals.

Group B was less of a goalfest but some late action from Uruguay to snatch 3 points. Chile didn't seem to trouble Brazil, although BeIŃ only showed the 2nd half.

Argentina did not look good on MD2 as Paraguay continues to make things happen with headers in the box. The rule that 3 headers in a row is going to lead to a goal seems to be one more than Paraguay needs.

Goaltending has been poor in this tournament. These guys have a way to go before they should be getting any serious first-team action. It makes me realize how impressive De Gea and Courtois are as young keepers (and have been for a few years).

Comment

Matchday 2 for Group B and Brazil's super tall defenders could not defend headers to save their lives. Uruguay wins 0-2 on two set pieces.

Shambolic goalkeeping remains the story, but today I started to wonder if the fix was in and Peru's defenders/keeper have been paid to lose. Three of Argentina's four goals in the first 60 minutes were scored by really bad (I'm talking U-6) defensive play. I have not seen anything like this in any game I have watched (this includes my daughter playing in a poor AYSO league from U-8 up to U-14).

It is going to be interesting to see how these sides transition from U-20 to U-23 for the 2016 Olympics, which is my interest in these qualifiers. I haven't watched a U20 WC tournament since 2007 and that was the only one I did/am likely to watch.

Comment

Working...
      X