Nothing rhymes with it, apparently

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How many teams actually claim to play in orange - as opposed to tangerine, amber, gold etc.

Netherlands and Ivory Coast obviously, Luton currently going through one of their many phases in it...

Do Lorient claim their shirts are orange?
    Wikipedia doesn't give an answer one way or another.

FC Volendam (Dutch second tier).

Comment

Can't really help with the question, but - if you have a London accent - here's a word that rhymes with 'orange'...

(Edit: Images don't seem to be working for me lately. Not sure why.)

Comment

The image file extension was missing, Jah. Needs to be .jpg or .someotherimagetype for OTF to recognise it as an image. Otherwise it is just a random url.

Comment

Dundee United

Shakhtar Donetsk

Armenia have orange socks.

Comment

Dundee United are the counter-example for this thread. It looks orange, but they claim it is tangerine.

Luton's return to orange corresponded with getting sponsorship from an airline whose most noticeable corporate colour is orange (you know the one). So, like, fuck them. On that, and so many other counts.

Comment

I saw Barcelona win their first European Cup wearing orange, at Wembley, probably not coincidentally while Cruyff was their manager. A blond lad called Koeman scored the goal from a free kick. Wonder whatever happened to him.

Comment

Janik wrote: The image file extension was missing, Jah. Needs to be .jpg or .someotherimagetype for OTF to recognise it as an image. Otherwise it is just a random url.

That was my local pub when I lived at home. It (the pub) was a right old crap-hole then but seems to have been substantially tarted up recently. I also went to Gorringe Park school, which was a stone's throw from Tooting & Mitcham's old ground.

I assume that Gorringe was a local surname. Chris Gorringe was head honcho at Wimbledon (tennis) for ages.

Comment

The image file extension was missing, Jah. Needs to be .jpg or .someotherimagetype for OTF to recognise it as an image. Otherwise it is just a random url.
                  Thanks, Janik. Could've sworn I'd added it.

NS - I very briefly lived around the corner from said establishment (while awaiting access to my Balham flat), and IIRC it was a bit ropy back then. There were indeed a few 'Gorringes' knocking about in the Mitcham area.

Comment

Valencia's current away kit appears to be orange, although they might still claim it's another colour.

Apart from the already-mentioned Gorringe, another actual rhyme for orange is the Blorenge mountain in Monmouthshire, Wales. It is slightly cheating, though, because the Welsh pronunciation is more like 'Blorens' according to Wikipedia.

Comment

Rogin the Armchair Fan wrote: I saw Barcelona win their first European Cup wearing orange, at Wembley, probably not coincidentally while Cruyff was their manager. A blond lad called Koeman scored the goal from a free kick. Wonder whatever happened to him.
                      Indeed. Wasn't a great game as I can recall. Barcelona put their red and blue shirts on for the celebrations - as a 12 year old I thought that was ace. Actually I still do.

Comment

Jah Womble wrote:

NS - I very briefly lived around the corner from said establishment (while awaiting access to my Balham flat), and IIRC it was a bit ropy back then. There were indeed a few 'Gorringes' knocking about in the Mitcham area.
                        Well, it certainly changed: it's even got a cinema!

Comment

There's plenty of gold/yellow/amber in the Scottish lower leagues (normally paired with black), but I can only find Alloa Athletic with orange in their home kit - last worn in the mid-90s according to the addictive historical hits site:

http://www.historicalkits.co.uk/Scottish_Football_League/Alloa_Athletic/Alloa_Athletic.htm

Comment

Dundee Utd's strip is definitely orange, don't let them away with this affected tangerine nonsense. It's a slippery slope, Dundonians will be demanding art galleries and technology parks next.

We're not allowed an orange strip because we're all bigots. We had one and said it was Oranje but people saw through that and realised we were only doing because we're bigots. We'll bring out a new one soon and call it Owari Satsuma, it'll be months before they notice'

Comment

How is tangerine not orange anyway?

Comment

From what I remember, Rangers' marketing department tried to rationalise the orange jersey on the grounds that the club had a lot of Dutch internationals in their squad at the time.

I mean, jesus, by all means have an orange strip if you want to, and if you think your fans will buy loads of them. Just don't insult people's intelligence.

I remember Hampden being a sea of orange for the 2000 Scottish Cup final.

Comment

Nocturnal Submission wrote:
                                  Originally posted by Jah Womble

Well, it certainly changed: it's even got a cinema!
                                  First picture: some berks playing Monopoly.

NO.

Comment

TonTon wrote: How is tangerine not orange anyway?
                                    Every color secretly desires to be orange, but only few can actually pull it off.

Comment

TonTon wrote: How is tangerine not orange anyway?
                                      The same way claret isn't just dark red or amber isn't just yellow.

Comment

Liverpool play in blood red, too. Man United play in cream of tomato soup red. They should be called the Cream of Tomato Soup Devils.

Comment

The team I play for play in orange shirts. The colour was chosen simply because, at the time, we were the only pub team that would be playing in orange and therefore wouldn't need a change kit.

A couple of lads are convinced that the reason some of the team are a bit hectic when they get the ball is the colour of the shirts. They reckon it's because orange shirts do that to a man, whereas calming, pastel-coloured shirts wouldn't.

These couple of lads are bloody idiots, of course.

Comment

NO.
                                            Yeah, that ain't great, it must be said.

Man United play in cream of tomato soup red. They should be called the Cream of Tomato Soup Devils.
                                            While he was there Heinze should've worn #57, eh?

Comment

Jah Womble wrote:

NO.
                                              Yeah, that ain't great, it must be said.

Man United play in cream of tomato soup red. They should be called the Cream of Tomato Soup Devils.
                                              While he was there Heinze should've worn #57, eh?
                                              Steve Cross and Dean Blackwell should have been signed as a tasty central defence partnership.

Comment

How is tangerine not orange anyway?
                                                Because there isn't a divisive political tradition called Tangerinism?

Comment

I usually miss things; but cannot see any mention of Blackpool - the first team that sprang to my mind.
                                                  Maybe Lee Clark being in charge makes them null and void.

One of their many nicknames is actually "The Tangerines"

I remember buying them as one of my Subbuteo teams just becasue of their colour.

Someone will now link to the post that mentions them.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X