Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I didn't make a game this weekend - did you?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ipswich 0 Derby 1

Early kickoff on Sky, which meant an early start in the pub. It always feels wrong having coffee in a pub, even at 9:30.

First defeat in almost three months, first home defeat in five months, and we were unlucky, rather than shit. Just one of those days where nothing comes off. We've played worse and won this season.

Paul S wrote: BLT, I didn't go to Clapton as although I need to tick it off, I don't want to get involved in any nastiness. Would you say it's a safe place to visit?
    If you don't mention your political views, I'm sure the Clapton Ultras will leave you alone.

Comment

No I didn't get to a game either but not through want of trying.

Trains into London on the Nottingham line were cancelled due to a mast somewhere in Hertfordshire being about to be blown onto the track by high winds. So I spent a long time on the platform of Wellingborough station before admitting defeat and going back to Nottingham.

Just as well it was a Pay What You Can game and only cost me a fiver. But I did miss the chance to meet Gangster Octopus.

Comment

I got there. Unfortunately. I'd say see you next season, but...

Comment

Espoo Blues 3 - 4 Rauman Lukko (aet). Attendance two thousand nine hundred and something.

It's winter - there's no football so ice hockey will have to do.

Dreadful first period, reasonable second and very entertaining third. Disappointing sudden death defeat in the end. Blues play 8 home games in January and this is the most low-key opponent hence the low-ish crowd. Highlight was buying the expensive seats next to the home players' tunnel and bench so my 5 year old was able to get a fist bump from most of the Blues players, and even a water bottle from the very friendly equipment bloke.

Also, as FC Honka has folded, it may be hockey all the way from now on. It's hard to summon enthusiasm at the best of time for Finnish league matches at the best of times, but when there's not a team playing at the end of the street anymore then even harder.

Comment

I went to Whalley Range v Leigh Phoenix in the quarter final of the Lancashire Amateur Cup. Excellent game finishing 3-3, with Leigh winning on penalties. That was a 1.30 kickoff and finished about 3:15, so I headed over the road to the less excellent match between Maine Road Reserves and FC Woodford, the visitors eventually remembering the point of the game and scoring twice in the last five minutes.

Comment

I made a rare (for me) visit to St Andrews on Saturday. Enjoyed bumping into fellow Blues fan from my village at local train station (didn't know he still went under current regime either) so that made for an enjoyable trip.

Wigan were absolutely awful - resigned to relegation. Back against them until further notice. Shaun Maloney in particular could not be bothered to try.

I have a little man-crush on David Davis (our midfield terrier, not the Tory). Not that's he's going to ever register on the radar of all those BRC fans in here, but he's a trier and has proved better than expected, having come from Wolves Reserves.

Evening was meet up with some old friends back in Wolverhampton, taking in the Combermere and the Newhampton, of course. The old town was generally closed, and looked very sorry for itself.

Can we have this thread every week? I like it a lot.

Comment

We do, but it's usually in with Rogin/Colm's self-love thread, so you may not notice it...

Comment

Yeah I was deliberately moving it into its own thread. I can't bear all that shit.

Comment

Well, I have to stick up for Cheshunt. On Saturday I asked at the bar if they had any pin badges for sale and they pointed me to a board member who said he didn't have any on him. However, he did have some at home, but they were old and out of date but if I still want one I was to write down my name and address and pay him £2 and he would send me one. I arrived home today to find a padded envelope with a pin badge inside. Sent first class.

Well done Cheshunt FC. You may have the worst ground in the Isthmian league (after Tilbury) but you have shown what makes non-league so special and right now the sun shines on you. Well done.

It's a lovely badge as well and I wouldn't know it was out of date as it doesn't have a date on it!

Comment

Kryvbas Gripper Rih's mention of fine Wolverhampton pubs makes me nostalgic, but I can console myself with gateshead's finest (Central Bar) before tonight's game (weather permitting).

Comment

Kryvbas Gripper Rih wrote:

Wigan were absolutely awful - resigned to relegation. Back against them until further notice. Shaun Maloney in particular could not be bothered to try.
                        The explanation for that;

Leicester City have agreed a fee with Wigan for Scotland midfielder Shaun Maloney.

Comment

I'm a few months shy of it being four years since I went to a game. Don't know if/when I ever will again, either.

Sad.

Comment

How so?

Comment

How sad?

Well, I used to enjoy going to the football with my dad, but now he's dead and I live in a different country. Tried a few times at Ajax but have developed no love for them (them being the local BRC) and not really enjoying the experience (paying Premier League prices for football that generally isn't great, in a stadium that sucks the atmosphere out of everything).

What's more, I think I'm losing interest in the game in general. Or, to put it another way, the things that do interest me about it don't happen during the 90 minutes anyway.

Comment

I was wondering why you hadn't been. I would be sad.

Have you tried anything smaller?

Comment

Not over here. All the facilities are dead nice and clean, even in non-league where it's all municipal 3G and what-have-you. It lacks the imaginary rusty tin-shed romanticism I have somehow inculcated in myself despite having watched only half-a-dozen games in such environs.

Comment

A non-league addicted friend of mine was very close to having to move to Amsterdam for work and was dreading it based on the lack of much below Ajax and their spin-off sides there (as well as the fact they don't have lower level midweek domestic games, apparently).

We pondered if Amsterdamsche FC would be a decent option, ever tried them out?

Comment

Nope. Look an inviting bunch though:

Comment

Telstar aren't that far away (IJmuiden), and have the bonus of being named after a telecommunications satellite.

Comment

beak,

you still owe me a visit to the Ijsseldelta ;-) What better way to break your 4 year duck than watching the mighty PEC.

Comment

Felicity, I guess so wrote: Kryvbas Gripper Rih's mention of fine Wolverhampton pubs makes me nostalgic, but I can console myself with gateshead's finest (Central Bar) before tonight's game (weather permitting).
                                            It didn't permit, as you may have seen. The North's least reliable playing surface was partly frozen and Gateshead v Grimsby was not to be. Had a pint in the pub and walked part of the way home to get authentically chilled before my tea.

Comment

Geoffrey de Ste. Croix wrote: beak,

you still owe me a visit to the Ijsseldelta ;-) What better way to break your 4 year duck than watching the mighty PEC.
                                              You're not wrong! Going to be here, there, and everywhere til the end of February. How's March? Cambuur of Excelsior?

Comment

Working...
                                              X