Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I didn't make a game this weekend - did you?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TonTon wrote: Are you up that way, then, Furtho?

Spot on, NS, that sounds like hell. At least it wasn't a pub full of Chelsea fans in Wimbledon town centre, though.
    Small mercies, matey.

Comment

TonTon wrote: Are you up that way, then, Furtho?
      TonTon, yes, I'm in OTF's least favourite north Bucks new town.

Comment

Furtho wrote: TonTon, yes, I'm in OTF's least favourite north Bucks new town.
        It's not just OTF. Soz.

Comment

Went to Clapton v Haringey Borough. Obviously the recent fascist attacks haven't dampened too much enthusiasm as there were long queues into the ground until well after kick-off, despite uncertainty about whether the game would go ahead.

Haringey - who got more points in 2014 than any other side in the pyramid - scored twice in five minutes in the first half before Clapton pulled one back via a very soft penalty. And thanks to a few excellent saves from Haringey's keeper, the North London side were able to hold onto the lead.

Comment

Weather uncertainty? Or other reasons?

Comment

Yeah, there was a mid-morning downpour and it doesn't take much to waterlog the pitch.

Comment

No sign of any of the fascists then, BLT? I imagine the increased attendance was at least partly out of a sense of solidarity and protection, which is heartening.

I think I am making another midweek game there in the next couple of weeks.

Comment

Were there actual fash that came down, then?

Comment

Cheshunt 0-1 AFC Sudbury Att: 135

I went to watch Cheshunt, a long-standing omission on my list of non-league grounds. Frankly I was disappointed with what I found. The club have been playing at their "stadium" since the 1950's and it still only consists of two small stands either side of the pitch, both set back about ten yards as there used to be a running track round the edge. The rest of the ground there is nothing to mention, although I did find out that it used to be the towns tip up until the 1930's which explains why it drains so well.

The two sides were useless, the Sudbury goal came from a keeper error in the first half and they showed no talent whatsoever, hence the reason they are playing in the Isthmian league division one north. A ground ticked off, but not one I will rush to visit again.

Comment

Tamworth 1-0 Guiseley ( or Gaahs-leh). Our 10th straight victory that has taken us from 4th bottom to 4th from top since November 22nd.

Comment

I think I've been to Cheshunt. Have I been there?

Comment

BLT, I didn't go to Clapton as although I need to tick it off, I don't want to get involved in any nastiness. Would you say it's a safe place to visit?

Comment

Sean of the Shed wrote: Tamworth 1-0 Guiseley ( or Gaahs-leh). Our 10th straight victory that has taken us from 4th bottom to 4th from top since November 22nd.
                            Going up?

Comment

Harry Truscott wrote: No sign of any of the fascists then, BLT? I imagine the increased attendance was at least partly out of a sense of solidarity and protection, which is heartening.

I think I am making another midweek game there in the next couple of weeks.
                              Nope, all quiet in that regard. From their facebook it looks like they spent their weekend productively.

Fascist facebook link

Comment

Paul S wrote: BLT, I didn't go to Clapton as although I need to tick it off, I don't want to get involved in any nastiness. Would you say it's a safe place to visit?
                                Yes, providing you're sensible. If you're worried, London Bari and occasionally Newham share the same ground.

TonTon wrote: Were there actual fash that came down, then?
                                There have been a couple of incidents in recent months.

https://libcom.org/news/fascists-are-trying-shut-down-clapton-ultras-24122014

Comment

Fucking hell, that's awful. Be good to see a "Fans United" style show of solidarity at a game. Having said that, it would probably lead to an escalation of fascist attendance. From the group photo shown and the report of the actions, Clapton seem pretty able to see them off.

In other news, I attended the Wealdstone/Bath City game with Harry and, obviously having a dog in the fight, had a great day. Wealdstone, yesterday and when they came down to us in December, are excellent supporters of a good club with, as I found out yesterday, a lovely clubhouse and very good burgers. It's a shame that they seem to be known more for a Facebook viral non-entity presently.

Comment

Prescot Cables v. New Mills at Valerie Park (att 150).

20th v 21st in NPL Div 1N, Cables keeper sent off in the first minute, replaced by a striker. 3-1 down after 49 mins, the home team rallied impressively and drew the match 3-3. New Mills were pretty awful, Prescot only marginally better. Oscar Durnin, son of Johnny 'Lager' Durnin, came off the bench for Cables.

Comment

Thame United 2 Bracknell Town 0 (Hellenic Premier) - Att 71

Thame's ground was only built a couple of years ago. One of those "great facilities" that lacks any real character. Adjoining artificial pitches, large car park, nice toilets, stuff like that.

Their number 9 played centre-half. A terrible afront to non-league numbering. Although it transpires it's the only shirt that fits his 6"5 frame.

Comment

TonTon wrote:
                                        Originally posted by Sean of the Shed
                                        Tamworth 1-0 Guiseley ( or Gaahs-leh). Our 10th straight victory that has taken us from 4th bottom to 4th from top since November 22nd.
                                        Going up?
                                        We aren't likely to keep this kind of form going, but we have a reasonable chance of the play offs. That's a complete lottery, though.

Comment

Paul S wrote: Cheshunt 0-1 AFC Sudbury Att: 135

I went to watch Cheshunt, a long-standing omission on my list of non-league grounds. Frankly I was disappointed with what I found. The club have been playing at their "stadium" since the 1950's and it still only consists of two small stands either side of the pitch, both set back about ten yards as there used to be a running track round the edge. The rest of the ground there is nothing to mention, although I did find out that it used to be the towns tip up until the 1930's which explains why it drains so well.
                                          I've been to see Banbury at Cheshunt a couple of times, I don't recall it being as nice as you're describing it.

Comment

Bored of Education wrote:
                                            It's a shame that they seem to be known more for a Facebook viral non-entity presently.
                                            To be fair that isn't entirely his fault. He's basically had the whole of the country laughing at him and taking the piss out of him for the last year or so and he's taken it in remarkably good humour. He hasn't made any money out of it and has raised a lot of money for charity, so I would lay off the poor guy.

Comment

Who is he?

Comment

Lots of football pitches were previously tips.

Comment

Paul S wrote:
                                                  Originally posted by Bored of Education
                                                  It's a shame that they seem to be known more for a Facebook viral non-entity presently.
                                                  To be fair that isn't entirely his fault. He's basically had the whole of the country laughing at him and taking the piss out of him for the last year or so and he's taken it in remarkably good humour. He hasn't made any money out of it and has raised a lot of money for charity, so I would lay off the poor guy.
                                                  I wasn't blaming him actually. I think it is an general indictment of society, social media and football. Mind you, he has an agent to book his nightclub appearances so make of that what you will.

For all his "doing great work for charity", his appearance pushed aside PR for a charity day we had for the Wealdstone game at Twerton Park before Christmas (although the Bath and Wealdstone supporters were fantastically generous). Having said that, he may have boosted the gate that day so swings and roundabouts.

Comment

I didn't but have now been press-ganged into Wednesday's Gateshead v Grimsby replay, in the Grim end. Windy conditons likely to make it a lottery. And fuckin' freezin'.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X