Window Shopping: January Transfers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not a very inspired thread title, I apologise...

Anyway, sod actual football being played, the transfer window (aka, what the game is all about) opens on 1 January. The BBC has done a list of possible movers and searching my web history drags out similiar articles from Sport 360 (Premier League departures) and Bleacher Report (potential strikers to come to the Prem). I'm sure plenty of other sites have done such articles.

So, will your club recruit in January? Will any be out the door? And does that match what you want?

Despite our large squad I think it's likely Watford will bring in a few from the Udinese/Granada stable, given we're underperforming again. We've been linked with signing Emanuel Insúa (not Emiliano - the Atletico/ex-Liverpool one) via Granada (i.e. they'll sign him then we loan him, presumably for visa/financial fairplay reasons). Not sure why really, for some reason Jokanovic doesn't seem keen on Daniel Pudil, who I think is perfectly good as a left wing-back. He predominantly plays Ikechi Anya out of position in that role.

Over to you...

The BBC one isn't very impressive

ALESSIO CERCI (27, winger) Atletico Madrid

Linked with: Arsenal, Inter Milan

The versatile forward signed from Torino in the summer, but his impact has been limited and he recently admitted he is running out of patience at his failure to earn more playing time. Arsenal have been linked but his departure could depend on whether Atletico can sign a replacement.
    Milan, the better one, have already made a swap, Cerci for Torres

Comment

If Man United and Arsenal manage to secure themselves a decent defender then the top four in the Premier League, once again, is going to be made up of the usual suspects. Yawn.

Comment

I'd imagine Man Utd will be spending their money on Kevin Strootman to beef up their defensive midfield. They're probably going to finish third even if they don't bother buying anybody in January, such is the paucity of quality below them.

Comment

Sean of the Shed wrote: If Man United and Arsenal manage to secure themselves a decent defender then the top four in the Premier League, once again, is going to be made up of the usual suspects. Yawn.
          This is going to happen anyway, whether they sign anybody or not. As you say, yawn.

Comment

why does everyone assume that arsenal are going to finish fourth?

Comment

Where else do they finish?

Comment

Pietro Paolo Virdis wrote: The BBC one isn't very impressive

The versatile forward signed from Torino in the summer, but his impact has been limited and he recently admitted he is running out of patience at his failure to earn more playing time. Arsenal have been linked but his departure could depend on whether Atletico can sign a replacement.
                One for the 'footballers who are fans' thread.

Comment

Sean of the Shed wrote: Where else do they finish?
                  they sometimes finish third when that's the last champions league slot. but there's no real reason why they can't finish lower. wenger has really lost it.

Comment

Apart from a couple of fans having a go at him, I'm not seeing anything hugely different from previous seasons. He's got a squad with plenty of attacking flair and plenty of cover, and a faltering defence with little cover, and as always the whole team lacks anyone who is prepared to get into a battle, and has done since Vieira left. Man Utd are doing what Liverpool did last season and should take third, whilst Liverpool have reverted to type. West Ham and Southampton lack the depth to sustain a challenge, and the clubs that could challenge such as Spurs and Everton are too inconsistent.
                    I'd say Arsenal in fourth is perhaps the easiest position in the whole division to predict. If I had to put any money on a team's final position at the end of the season it would be that one.

Comment

Green Calx wrote: I'd imagine Man Utd will be spending their money on Kevin Strootman to beef up their defensive midfield. They're probably going to finish third even if they don't bother buying anybody in January, such is the paucity of quality below them.
                      Apparently Falcao has already warned Strootman that he'll have to fight for a place on the treatment table.

Comment

Pietro Paolo Virdis wrote: The BBC one isn't very impressive

Ah, Milan continuing their geriatricos policy.

edit: Ah wait, Cerci is a bit younger than I thought.

Comment

I also thought he was older. 31. But he's "only" 27.

Comment

If any club needs advice on transfers, then they could do worse than ask David Sullivan, who is a bit of a transfer market genius, apparently.

He was going to sign Cristiano Ronaldo before he eventually went to Man United, and it was entirely his doing that Diafra Sakho went to West Ham.
                            What a fucking puffed up gobshite that cunt is.

Comment

I was far more impressed with southampton's performance against man utd, than anything I've seen from arsenal for years. They were a bit short in composure around the penalty area, but i've never seen an english team press like that before. That and arsenal's squad is now so badly balanced, they've managed to erase even more of their large financial advantage.

wenger has lost it by such a margin this season, I'd be astonished if sanchez can pull him out of it.

Comment

Brighton will definitely be recruiting because we'll be heading for League 1 if we don't.

Top of the list is a striker, half way through the season our top scorer is centre back Lewis Dunk with four in the league, two more than anyone else. Quite a number of fans would like to see Glenn Murray back (especially after his brace yesterday), but we also need someone more dynamic in midfield, and permanent replacements for our five current loan players.

And currently we have no manager and just sacked the DoF who created this sorry mess with his recruitment in the summer. Fun times.

Comment

Sean of the Shed wrote: If any club needs advice on transfers, then they could do worse than ask David Sullivan, who is a bit of a transfer market genius, apparently.

He was going to sign Cristiano Ronaldo before he eventually went to Man United, and it was entirely his doing that Diafra Sakho went to West Ham.
                                  What a fucking puffed up gobshite that cunt is.
                                  Big Sam will have asked Santa for a wardrobe sized midfielder.

Comment

I've just out this in the French football thread but RMC Sport have reported that Loic Perrin (centre half) is on his way to Arsenal in the summer. If I were to buy anyone from Sainté though, it would be Ruffier, the keeper.

Comment

List of targets for Prem clubs by Tor-Kristian Karlsen in the Guardian.

Football365's transfer guide for each Prem club: Part 1 (Crystal Palace will not be signing Troy Deeney or Chris Martin), and Part 2 and Part 3.

Comment

Lewis MacLoed is reportedly having a medical at Brentford. MacLoed is a 20 year old attacking midfielder and the best player in our squad. He's never played higher than the second tier of Scottish football although he's an under 21 international and made the last full international squad. Still, it's a big step up for him as Brentford seem to be quite good, like most Rangers fans I'd assumed they were in the fourth division or something.

He's been our only bright spot of late, good scoring record, nice technique and level headed too by all accounts. He had a serious health scare last season though but I guess he's over it.

Comment

Celtic possibilities: Virgil van Dijk to Everton or Spurs, Kris Commons to Bolton, Jo Inge Berget to any Norwegian club who'll take him.

There is also talk of Deila signing Ikechi Anya. Now that would be genuinely exciting.

Nadir Ciftci's name has been thrown into the mix too, though I can't see that happening unless one or two of the current strikers are tossed overboard first.

Comment

JM Footzee wrote: List of targets for Prem clubs by Tor-Kristian Karlsen in the Guardian.

Football365's transfer guide for each Prem club: Part 1 (Crystal Palace will not be signing Troy Deeney or Chris Martin), and Part 2 and Part 3.
                                            There's something a bit depressing about seeing bony and schneiderlin on that list. bony has just signed a new contract with swansea btw, but the teams that are linked with schneiderlin aren't as good as southhampton. Southampton are also floating on a sea of liquid cash so it's difficult to see why they would sell him in the middle of the season. Him leaving a club that is pushing for the CL to join spurs or arsenal mid season, would just send out all the wrong messages.

Comment

I'll be happy to keep what we've got at Portman Road and see a few of our rivals get players pinched off them. I fear though that we will lose two or three key men.

Comment

Fernando Torres has landed in Madrid for talks with Atleti.

Comment

And Barcelona's transfer ban has been upheld by the CAS

Comment

Working...
                                                  X