No announcement yet.

Trouble at the Manor: Clapton Ultras

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seems like the best place to put this, Leyton Athletic have folded.

Their ground share doesn't appear to have actually existed. Makes you wonder how they made it this far into the season.

Comment

Who did Leyton Athletic used to be again? Wadham Lodge FC?

Comment

Leyton Athletic were Wadham Lodge, who were only formed after Waltham Forest left the Wadham Lodge ground for Ilford(?). When Waltham Forest, who have since changed their name to Walthamstow FC, moved back, maybe Wadham/Leyton Ath were considered basically surplus to requirements, particularly after Clapton CFC started up.

North East London non-league football can be a rabbit hole, to say the least.

Comment

Looks like Clapton CFC may be going (back) to the Old Spotted Dog.

Comment

I've just realised that, fittingly, we had another long-running Clapton thread that preceded this breakaway one. There are some links to it upthread but they're dead due to the change in site-hosts.

Can anyone find it?

Comment

So what happens to the original Clapton FC?

Comment

I hope the Clapton Community crew haven’t jumped the gun with their “returning home” announcement. I see the Essex Senior League (McBean’s Clapton FC are in that still) tweeted yesterday:
                The League are deeply concerned at social media activity re. the unconfirmed announcement of the Old Spotted Dog lease not being awarded to Clapton FC who’ve played at the ground for over 100 yrs & the implications this may have on the clubs that have played there for some time.
                Hmmm.

Comment

I have played at Wadham lodge many times in my footballing days. Not been the same since they built that massive fence around one of the pitches.

Comment

End game for Vince. Hopefully a vince-free Clapton FC will merge with CCFC by the time the latter returns to the Old Spotted Dog.

https://twitter.com/claptonfcnews/st...597645312?s=19

Comment

I enjoyed this today :

https://twitter.com/claptoncfc/status/1267421425612324864?s=21

Comment

That made me cringe.

Comment

The anti-fascism or the rather good gag?

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
                            The anti-fascism or the rather good gag?
                            The ‘gag’.

Comment

Not sure if this got covered already :

Clapton CFC have become owners of the historic Old Spotted Dog ground in Forest Gate.

Comment

Great news for Clapton CFC that, and for the Old Spotted Dog, which might finally get some much needed TLC

On seeing that news I wondered where Clapton FC were now playing... was surprised to find that the answer was Southend!?!

Comment

Originally posted by Uros Predic View Post

On seeing that news I wondered where Clapton FC were now playing... was surprised to find that the answer was Southend!?!
                                  Bloody hell I didn't know that....and I live just minutes away from where they're playing! Irony of ironies that they're now ground sharing with Southend Manor, the very place their supporters got duffed up. Incidentally, Southend Manor have applied for planning permission to put a 2 metre fence up round the outside of the pitch which will stop people watching for free from the road. It may also mean the club can get promoted from the Essex Senior League into the Isthmian.

Comment

Clapton aren’t at Southend Manor. That was for 19/20 only. They’re now at the Terence McMillan Stadium, where, I think Fire United (not a team of firefighters or fire eaters) play. I thought that ground had failed grading for Clapton’s level in the past though.

Comment

Blimey, looking at this thread is like All My Yesterdays: won the Waltham Forest League U-15 Cup at the Clapton ground, came second in the Newham Schools Athletics 80m Hurdles in early teens at Terence McMillan (also played a gig there for the Mayor's charity, oddly), and went on a few dates at the OSD in the 80s.

As you were.

Comment

Does anyone know if the Old Spotted Dog passed the ground grading to confirm Clapton CFC's promotion?

I've seen inferences to it on their twitter but not a conclusive statement.

Comment

They’ve been included in the projections for Step 6, which are usually very accurate. They’ll be in the same league as Clapton, so that’ll be interesting, providing Warren McBean still keeps them on life support for next season.
                                          Last edited by Botswana Meat Commission; 11-05-2023, 16:05.

Comment

It’s new vs old, good vs bad, new starts vs zombie club on Tuesday night and CCFC v Clapton FC.

Comment

Apparently tickets for the game have sold out.

Comment

750 tickets sold. That’s all Clapton CFC want to sell.

Comment

Working...
                                                X