Clark Carlisle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clark Carlisle

Jah Womble wrote: And not publicity-seeking actors via Twitter …
    Little doesn't have any previous here, as far as I know. And he's certainly no Katie Hopkins/Richard Dawkins-style Twitter shit-stirrer.

Saying something in public doesn't always imply seeking publicity.

I don't know enough about this story to form an opinion frankly.

Comment

Clark Carlisle

Well, I don't either, but I'd nonetheless question the motives of someone who thinks this stuff needs to be made public at all - especially at a time like this.

Comment

Clark Carlisle

Clark was commentating on a game for a radio station yesterday. It was mentioned on MOTD.

Comment

Not sure this is the most up to date thread, I'm sure there's a more recent one but I'd recommend the Radio 4 thing he's just done. See Nefertiti's thread Black Footballers Speak.

He sounds well.
          Last edited by Sits; 18-11-2018, 09:24.

Comment

Thanks for digging this out, Sits. I found the scene v where Clarke interviewed his parents very moving, as his dad Mervyn tells him he couldn't take Clarke to watch him play because of the racist abuse he would hear- and that meant they couldn't watch games together either. His dad's sadness at being unable to share the thing that they both loved and his mum's calm interventions were very hard to hear. And all the other guys, forced to think about how to respond to racism both private and public and the effects on their identity and their careers.

Comment

The scene with his parents/dad was extremely moving, I remember watching the original BBC programme in 2012. I flagged up in this post the excellent Is football racist? programme he did in 2012.

Glad he seems to be doing well after the terrible time he’s gone through. I wanted to interview Clarke circa 2014 as I was writing a series on Black footballers in English football in Les Cahiers du football but for reasons I won’t go into it didn’t happen. (I don’t know him personally, got in touch with him via Olivier Bernard who I happen to know a little through his Show Racism the Red Card work, got him to speak to kids a couple of times when I taught).

Comment

Working...
              X