Longest gap between playing again?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This question needs a wider audience than the divisional thread; Chorley FC and Stockport County met several times in the 1890s Lancashire League, until the latter's election to the Football League. A few changes of division for each in recent years mean that tomorrow they renew hostilities for the first time since the 4th November 1899. I'm sure it's not a record though, so which pairs of clubs in continuous existence have gone longer than 115 years and 14 days between meetings?

What exactly makes you 'sure it's not a record'? It sounds like it might very well be one, to me. Magnificent stat, either way.

Comment

Fuck off, Chorley.

(Been a while since I've done one of these type posts. Feels good)

Comment

La Racaille de Rochdale Road wrote: Fuck off, Chorley.

Ditto, stretching all the way back to the 1990 FA Cup first round.

Comment

Crystal Staples wrote: This question needs a wider audience than the divisional thread; Chorley FC and Stockport County met several times in the 1890s Lancashire League, until the latter's election to the Football League. A few changes of division for each in recent years mean that tomorrow they renew hostilities for the first time since the 4th November 1899. I'm sure it's not a record though, so which pairs of clubs in continuous existence have gone longer than 115 years and 14 days between meetings?
          When Wrexham played Hyde in September 2012, it was our first meeting since the two sides had met in the inaugural season of the Manchester Combination, back in 1890-91 - the second meeting of which was a 4 - 2 win at the Racecourse on the 10th January 1891.

After that season, Hyde dropped out of the league and the clubs embarked on very different paths - Wrexham entering the football league, Hyde continuing to play regional football.

In Wrexham's late '70s heydey, Hyde were playing in the Cheshire County League.

It was another 121 years and 231 days before the two sides would meet again in the Conference for a rematch.

Comment

Sam wrote: What exactly makes you 'sure it's not a record'? It sounds like it might very well be one, to me. Magnificent stat, either way.
            Only because there are older clubs around really. Thanks BLT, I did think of Wrexham as a club that might be able to beat it. A friend's emailed "the Knowledge" so maybe a definitive answer will be forthcoming.

Comment

La Racaille de Rochdale Road wrote: Fuck off, Chorley.

Hating non-league is really hipsterish.

Comment

And now we've finally got our first goal there for 118 years.

Comment

Fuck off Chorley.

Comment

Working...
                  X