No announcement yet.

Class of 92 - Salford City

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

whilst the football club have a 5,000 capacity stadium and desperately need greater capacity.
    They rarely get more than 3,000 in it

Comment

Roughly 2,000 the last two games, even for a local derby.

Comment

Oh dear. I do hope TABs alright.

Comment

There has been some talk of Swinton Lions RLFC moving back to Moor Lane/Peninsular Stadium in a groundshare arrangement with Salford Red Devils. The Lions currently play out of Sale RUFC's old ground, having led a fairly nomadic existence since they left Station Road in 1992.

Comment

The AJ Bell is surely one of the worst-located stadiums in the country. I've only been there once, when I attended an Under-20 Rugby Union World Cup match with a colleague who is a union fan. Post-match, we could find any way out of the place. Neither of us have a car, taxis were a struggle (we'd had to take one there, but couldn't find one to get out), there was no public transport, you can't really walk to it. In the end I had to get my housemate to drive round the M60 to pick us up, having waited in the one Harvester-style pub that punctuated what was otherwise carparks and wasteland.

That was five years ago, and I believe further roads have been built since then, booking taxis on the fly is a lot easier and I'm told by friends who go to Sale games that there's a dedicated bus service for them. But I still have no idea what led the powers that be to build a stadium there, beyond the fact that cheap, post-industrial land was available. There's talk of one day extending the tram out there, possibly making a loop of the Eccles and Trafford Centre lines. But they'd have to bridge the Ship Canal to do that, and I can't see that expense being a priority. They'd have been better off building close to the Trafford Centre and benefiting from the transport links and entertainment options round there (and maybe they could have tempted United development sides, being closer to Old Trafford). But that would have put the stadium on Trafford council land, and I doubt the rugby league side would have gone for that.

The rugby union club seem to flit between wanting to own the stadium and wanting to get out - they had permission for a new ground in Sale turned down a little over a year ago. How many Salford City fans support the club as their first team? If a significant proportion of their fanbase is floating City/United supporters, will they lose them when they can no longer walk to the game?

Mind you, Salford City's ground is barely in the Salford council area, it seemed far more like Prestwich the one time I went. Although I'm one of those southern infiltrators who only considers Salford to be a relatively small area and not a city/broader area in its own right. One day Maxine Peake and I are going to fight it out in a carpark.

Comment

Do we really think Salford City attract any significant amount of "floating (Man) City supporters"?

Comment

Ha, no, probably not, although they may get a few who live in the vicinity and go when City are away.

I'd be really intrigued to see how many Salford fans still consider United their first team.

Comment

Originally posted by JM Footzee View Post
                  I'm one of those southern infiltrators who only considers Salford to be a relatively small area and not a city/broader area in its own right. One day Maxine Peake and I are going to fight it out in a carpark.
                  Outrageous. Not that being raised in Swinton left me insecure, but I can only accept chat like that from somebody who grew up on Mocha Parade.

Comment

Originally posted by Lang Spoon View Post
                    Now I want to know what Gary Neville did with his feet.
                    These days it's all about Paul Scholes's feet. Or his family members' feet.

Comment

Originally posted by JM Footzee View Post

Although I'm one of those southern infiltrators who only considers Salford to be a relatively small area and not a city/broader area in its own right. One day Maxine Peake and I are going to fight it out in a carpark.
                      I've always sort of assumed it was Manchester's Croydon, though with at least one far nicer hotel.

Comment

That was always my impression too - see also Leith in Edinburgh. Locals try to convince outsiders it's completely different and separate and independent, but looks to absolutely everyone else like any other area of the city.

Comment

I tried to write something based on my experience of being the son of a son of Salford who was born and has spent most of his adult life in Manchester but gave it up as a thankless task. The short version - you can't step into the same city twice.

Comment

Working...
                          X