Class of 92 - Salford City

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are going to sell 50% of their stake to Peter Lim. That lasted long....

I was going to mention this on one of the other Salford City threads this morning, but couldn't decide which one to use. Now you've made that decision for me, I can moan here, safe in the knowledge no one, least of all me, really cares.

So here goes:

Moan

The class of 92 are turning out to be terrible, terrible bellends, aren't they? There'll be a lot of snide "TURNING OUT TO BE THEY ALWAYS WERE LOL" replies to this thread, but fuck you guys. It's their cliquey, we know what's best for United, coupled with their footballing hegemony that's worrying. Football cafes, football hotels, this Salford City rebranding and franchising, their insidious grasp on Manchester United's first team. I wish they'd just fuck off, tbh.

Comment

Salford City are obviously shite, but is a part of you not glad there's now a "Little United" for people without any principles?

Comment

Isn't that *exactly* what FC United are becoming?

Bit of politics, there.

Comment

But seriously folks! I think the last thing FC United, and possibly the Evo Stik, needs is this forced, faux-rivalry that's almost certain to flourish. I'm dreading playing them. I'm dreading them getting promoted. And I'm dreading this 'project' working, however short-term.

Given the history of FC United v Salford, and the characters involved off the pitch, it's going to be bloody horrible.

Comment

It will be mildly interesting to see if Lim does anything in terms of moving players between Valencia and Salford City.

Though as Valencia already have a professional "B" team and given the gap in the clubs' quality, that seems rather less likely that in the case of the Pozzo-owned clubs.

Comment

To be fair, given how things are looking with them (assuming that the new owners don't get bored/give up), you'll only have to put up with them next year. They'll shaft you by taking the promotion slot, mind.

That's assuming FCUM don't get their act together and get promoted, btw.

Comment

La Racaille de Rochdale Road wrote: But seriously folks! I think the last thing FC United, and possibly the Evo Stik, needs is this forced, faux-rivalry that's almost certain to flourish. I'm dreading playing them. I'm dreading them getting promoted. And I'm dreading this 'project' working, however short-term.

Given the history of FC United v Salford, and the characters involved off the pitch, it's going to be bloody horrible.
                I meant it as some kind of bellend syphon, but I take your point.

Comment

I'm worried it'll work the other way, tbh.

Comment

Now this, from Gary Neville's review of Manchester United's transfer window, is very interesting:

I’d never seen the boy play but Phil Neville and Paul Scholes had been down. The boy had been playing in the park for the previous six months and not really doing much since leaving Manchester City. He came down to Salford; Phil and Paul liked him straight away and said the kid has got too much talent to be disappearing out of the game. It says a lot about what happens to these players when they get released as big clubs don’t want to take a chance on them. Many of them disappear out of the game when they do have the talent. It’s something we’ve talked about for a long time, is the pathway there for when kids get dropped by the bigger clubs to get picked up by Bury, Oldham etc? It doesn’t seem to be happening.
                    FC United deliberately don't have youth teams as they don't want to step on the toes of long-established clubs in the area, instead entering a partnership with Moston Juniors and concentrating on the 16-18 age bracket, where players are slipping out of the system. Now, if Salford do similar, providing a route back into football for kids who'd otherwise be lost, does that change my opinion on the whole thing? One of FC United's goals is to improve football across the Manchester area. Is there potential to work loosely with Salford City to help achieve our goals as a community club?

Well, yeah, possibly. To both questions. Given what else I learned about Gary Neville last week, I'm wondering if this is more than a vanity project for them and I'm just a horrible, cynical bastard. Probably one to keep an eye on, this.

Comment

What else did you learn about Gary Neville last week?

Comment

Check your Twitter DMs.

Comment

Oooh! He never did! And with his feet too!

Comment

He's SICK.

Comment

Tease.

And of course it's a vanity project for them.

Comment

Anyone watch the programme last night? Hilarious. No one came out of it looking particularly good, did they. Except Jim. Jim was alright. Course, he's being used as an everyman to pin Gary Neville's dream on, which is a shame, as they'll fuck him off in 5 years when the club goes pro in the Betting Company Conference.

Phil Power and 'Chaddy' have both been at FC United. There's some sympathy for the way Power was portrayed and treated. Not from me, though. Thought he got everything he deserved.

Comment

FC United deliberately don't have youth teams as they don't want to step on the toes of long-established clubs in the area, instead entering a partnership with Moston Juniors and concentrating on the 16-18 age bracket, where players are slipping out of the system.
                                  This is a great thing.

Comment

Thought Power was going to go the full John Sitton at one match. But it never hit "Club for a Fiver's" heights.

It was much more of a warts-and-all programme than I thought it'd be, and I quite enjoyed it for that.

Comment

Club for a Fiver remains one of the great pieces of cinéma vérité ever filmed.

Comment

And my finest lame to fame.

Comment

And mine.

Comment

Salford City and Salford Red Devils RL are looking at a stadium swap. The rugby league team get crowds of less than 5,000 in a 12,000 all seater stadium, whilst the football club have a 5,000 capacity stadium and desperately need greater capacity. I can't help thinking this will benefit the rugby club the most.

The deal would see the football club move in and the Red Devils relocated to Peninsula Stadium, Kersal

Comment

By all accounts the AJ Bell Stadium can be a pain in the bollocks to get to, unless they've fixed that up in the last couple of years. Doubt, though, they'll have done owt about the fact it apparently honks of shite from the sewage works across the canal if the wind's going the wrong way.

Still, good luck to em.
                                              Last edited by beak; 22-10-2021, 16:23.

Comment

Now I want to know what Gary Neville did with his feet.

Comment

What happens to Sale rugby club in this scenario? I imagine they stay at the "AJ Bell" given they have a 25 year lease and a healthier average attendance than the league side (that wouldn't be accommodated at the football club's current ground).

Edit : Scratch that, just read the story linked above and Sale appear to be prime movers behind this plan and have already tried to buy the stadium outright.
                                                  Last edited by Ray de Galles; 22-10-2021, 17:08.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X