OTF Football Dictionary

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Social media post
    Means of finding out exactly how homophobic, discriminatory or just plain stupid your favourite striker is

Comment

Originally posted by N est à? View Post
      OTF Football Dictionary

A British boxer would never have taken a Soviet opponent as lightly as Apollo Creed did in the fatal fight, as he'd be familiar with the stereotype of the 'crack east-european outfit' turning over complacent westerners, and more wary of Drago.

I mean, no-one likes to see a fighter die in the ring, but Creed's pisstaking and showboating was pretty reprehensible.
      I think I quite like the idea of a dusty copy of an alternative Rocky IV script sitting in an archive somewhere.

Opening scene: Rocky and Apollo are watching the 2nd leg of a UEFA cup tie between Ipswich Town and Dinamo Tblisi. After a late goal for Dinamo sends them through on away goals, Apollo turns to Rocky "Hey Rock, look at the technique of these Russians (sic). They certainly shouldn't be underestimated".

Comment

Poppy
        An emblem of the futility and loss of war adorned on football shirts to appease performative outrage by jingoistic nationalists

Comment

Team bonding sessions
          Actions performed between players of the same team in order to build cameraderie and team spirit that would almost certainly be prosecutable in any other workplace.

Comment

Training ground incident
            Someone got the shit kicked out of them.

Comment

Originally posted by Favourite Worst Nightmare View Post
              Opening scene: Rocky and Apollo are watching the 2nd leg of a UEFA cup tie between Ipswich Town and Dinamo Tblisi. After a late goal for Dinamo sends them through on away goals, Apollo turns to Rocky "Hey Rock, look at the technique of these Russians (sic). They certainly shouldn't be underestimated".
              Alternatively, Sly might've mused about similar with Russell Osman on the set of Escape to Victory.

Comment

Lottery of the Play-offs
                Two semi-finals and a final, same as every other fucking cup competition.

Comment

Tracksback

key quality of English international players of the 80s. usually pertaining to midfielders.

Won't Tracksback

to be perplexed at the absence of tracksback in players such as Glenn Hoddle.

Comment

Gazza Strip

an embarrasing incident that people pretend not to have noticed.

Comment

petty cash

the £50k missing from the Tottenham managers office the day Teddy signed.

Comment

Talismanic
                        No, we don't know why he's in the team either

Comment

Originally posted by Snake Plissken View Post
                          Europa League
                          A competition that English clubs try to qualify for, in order to be knocked out of at the earliest possible opportunity so that they can try to qualify for it again.
                          This. It drove me nuts when teams that rarely get a sniff of European places finally got into the competition and then blew it off. I could slightly understand one year when Bolton (??) was also battling relegation that playing in two competitions at that level wasn't going to work, but when Martin O'Neill was managing Villa and starting second stringers just so he could finish in the top 7, that was ridiculous.

But one other thing I would add to the definition of this tournament: A tournament that allows second to last place finishers from each Champions League group to participate during the knock-out rounds. Creates an opportunity for those sides to earn more money to remain dominant in their domestic leagues.

Comment

At the expense of teams who performed extraordinarily to qualify.

Comment

Originally posted by Sits View Post
                              At the expense of teams who performed extraordinarily to qualify.

There is that problem as well: mid-level clubs (sometimes pretty far down mid-table). But if the competition is only 4-6 from most leagues there can be something interesting about seeing those sides face each other. I certainly can say that my geographical knowledge has expanded quite a bit because of the UEFA Cup/Europa League and the same for Copa Sudamericana in South America, which is CONMEBOL's equivalent to the Europa League.

Comment

Originally posted by Last Years Man View Post
                                OTF Football Dictionary

Briefs

Match tickets.

Cracks

Still used by British tabloid newspapers to describe an upcoming match versus continental opposition e.g. German cracks Werder Bremen
                                Is either of these real?

Comment

Crack definitely is, and has even made it into French and Italian.

Not sure about briefs, may be a regional UK thing.

Comment

Never heard either used that way myself.

Comment

The "cracks" thing is a misquote/mis-phrasing I feel (it would always be in the singular, not plural, as seen correctly in the responses to that original post at the time), but does refer to the propensity of commentators, media etc. to routinely label continental teams, particularly ones from behind the Iron Curtain during Cold War times, as crack sides. The typical form would be along the lines of "a crack Eastern European outfit". It was/is a sort of (lazy?) journalistic shorthand for 'fit, well-drilled, effective', in the same vein as it gets used to describe slick military operations.

"Briefs" for tickets isn't something I've ever knowingly come across, I don't think.

Comment

This usage of crack is almost always an adjective in English, much more often a noun in Romance languages (one that can be singular or plural).

Comment

Crack was definitely something David Coleman used to say. Gornik, for example.

Comment

Much easier for him to pronounce than Zabrze

Comment

"Polish cracks Gornik"?

Comment

Never heard it used that way in half a century of following fitba’. It was always ‘the crack Hungarian outfit’ or similar.

It strikes me as a very ‘1970s’ adjective that didn’t really survive beyond the decade. It did seem to be largely Eastern European sides, but I can recall (for example) Cruijff-era Dutch clubs being described thus.

Comment

Working...
                                                X