Cuauhtémoc Blanco

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cuauhtémoc Blanco

I'm assuming that many probably aren't aware that Cuauhtémoc Blanco has still been playing in recent years. Mexico used their pre-World Cup friendly against Israel as a sort of testimonial for him, giving him a final cap in the game. Since leaving MLS, he had been playing in Mexico's second division.

But now he's back in the Primera Liga, with relegation-threatened Puebla. At 41 years, I'm assuming he's one of, if not the, oldest player on a top-flight team in a major league. This should be interesting.

Cuauhtémoc Blanco

Outfield player, maybe. A few keepers older than him I can think of such as Freidel.

Comment

Cuauhtémoc Blanco

Does he still have that little music box what plays Waltzing Matilda?

Comment

Cuauhtémoc Blanco

Modragon is another keeper who is older, but I can't think of a current outfield player who is older than Blanco (unless we are taking into account players whose official ages may be suspect).

Zanetti was 40 when he retired, Veron was 39 and Yepes is "only" 38.

Comment

Cuauhtémoc Blanco

World record red card holder Gerardo Bedoya is also just 38 - he was the other possibility that sprung to mind.

Comment

Cuauhtémoc Blanco

Not top flight, but I think it's mint that Kazuyoshi Miura is still going at 47.

Comment

Cuauhtémoc Blanco

It is still unclear if Jari Litmanen (43) has actually retired yet.

Comment

Cuauhtémoc Blanco

Eliot Turner (@Futfanatico) wrote a nice article about Blanco and Puebla.

Comment

Cuauhtémoc Blanco

Since we last checked in with Cuauhtemoc, he was elected mayor of Cuernavaca, the capital of the Mexican state of Morelos. It's a city with a population around 350,000, so it's not some small deal.

Now he is feuding with the governor of the state of Morelos, who has accused Blanco of having ties to a local drug cartel.

Comment

Cuauhtémoc Blanco

So Blanco's still alive then?

Comment

Cuauhtémoc Blanco

Well, he's involved in Mexican politics so frankly there's no guarantee

Comment

Cuauhtémoc Blanco

I wouldn't want to be the boss of the cartel that guns down Cuauhtémoc Blanco.

It would be a bit like being the man who ordered the shooting dead of Terry Venables or Harry Redknapp. It just wouldn't be worth anybody's while.

Comment

Cuauhtémoc Blanco

Well, if you believe the governor, Blanco has no security detail, so it seems that he's not afraid of the main cartel in his area, for one reason or another...

Comment

Working...
                          X