Everton try to end war of words with Liverpool

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That was a fucking horrible challenge. No arguments from me on that.
    It was also what? 7 years ago? The one on Sunday was patently an accident and no amount of red-tinted hallucination on your part will change that.

Comment

The lunge at Weir that got Gerrard sent off was waist high, the Naysmith two footed lunge didn't even receive a yellow card.

Comment

hobbes wrote:

Even Andy Gray thought it was completely accidental.
        Out of interest, why "even Andy Gray"? He worships Gerrard, doesn't he?

Comment

Naysmith, Nolan, Boateng, Solano, Kevin Campbell, the two Olympiakos players, and now Carsley.

Gerrard has a fair bit of previous when it comes to giving opponents a taste of his studs and getting away with it.

Comment

I see absolutely no reason to give gerrard the benefit of the doubt for that stamp. or do you think that he's above taking sly revenge like that, do you think that he's above being affected by the abuse he's getting from the crowd, and do you think that he is above getting sucked into a merseyside derby? Because he has a track record of doing all three.

He's a professional footballer who knows what he's doing with his feet.

Read his autobiography, it's all about wanting to go out and kill everton. It's weird.

Comment

Add Graeme Le Saux to that list from the 4th place decider on the last day of 2002/03. It's a growing list.

There seems to be alot of focus (not here) on Benitez 'small club' jibe from last season. For me, this is evidence of football people now being obsessed with football's importance. Football is BIG and we are BIG, goddamnit. We get it in the transfer speculation industry, we get it in the endless football talk - who is a big club? And there's no bigger insult in football today than to be regarded as 'not big'. Hence, Evertonians outrage at Rafa's remark. An Arsenal fan I was chatting to last December after the derby defeat at the Emirates was seriously explaining to me why he believed Spurs weren't a big club. I told him I couldn't give a fuck what size they were.

Anyway, the legendary 'friendly derby' has become spiteful, hasn't it. Can we take it that the brothers who are on either side have been beating the shite out of one another?

Comment

Typical Everton. What about the constant abuse their fans give to Steven Gerrard? When I went to Goodison for the first game, it was the only song they knew. Anyway, better stop here before I get some stick from some on this board...

Comment

Chelsea make gas chamber noises at WHL to this day
                  Really? Funny that, cos I hadn't heard of it being done in a long old time.

Comment

Impact Substitute wrote:
                    An Arsenal fan I was chatting to last December after the derby defeat at the Emirates was seriously explaining to me why he believed Spurs weren't a big club. I told him I couldn't give a fuck what size they were.
                    Are you sure you're a Spurs fan?

And how can people justify signing songs about Lescott looking like the elephant man? It's wrong. Especially while Jimmy Bullard is playing.

Comment

Not really. And he's toffee through and through.

Anyway, the legendary 'friendly derby' has become spiteful, hasn't it. Can we take it that the brothers who are on either side have been beating the shite out of one another?
                      Oddly, mainly on the pitch. The games are still essentially unsegregated.

He's a professional footballer who knows what he's doing with his feet.
                      Tell that to Paul Scholes

Comment

So, what exactly are Evertonians supposed to feel and say about the European ban, express gratitude to Liverpool for it?

Any song about Gerrard's wife and her conduct is nowhere near as bad as Benitez's 'small club' comment. That's really (probably intentionally) demeaning to a whole club's fans and history, not just a 'tabloid' comment. I mean, how the hell dare he?? Are we supposed to meekly accept what he says?? ... The Lescott chants just seem dumb rather than grossly offensive ... Benitez and Gerrard both deserve hatred for who they are and what they've said and done. Hatred not descending into hooliganism and violence, of course. The best revenge will be seeing them dumped out of the Champions League by Arsenal and Everton overtaking their five-point lead before the end of the season.

Comment

And he's toffee through and through.

Andy Gray's team is Rangers and, whatever you might try to claim, he is so far up Gerrard's arse he can almost see Martin Tyler's feet.

Comment

Some Evertonian opinion, may be of some use here.

http://www.toffeeweb.com/season/07-08/comment/mailbag/mailbagitem.asp?submissionID=4945

Comment

hobbes wrote:
                              Not really. And he's toffee through and through.
                              He really isn't, he played more times for Villa, Wolves and Dundee United than he did for Everton in the two seasons he was there. There's never really been any major displays of old club affection of the Hansen/Lawrenson/Lineker style with Gray's TV work.

I've met him and (as HB says above) he proffessed that his club was Rangers. I may be imagining it but I also seem to remember some bitterness towards Everton for their treatment of him when they got Lineker.

Comment

I seem to think he alludes to it in "Flat Back Four" which I must reread

Comment

That's really (probably intentionally) demeaning to a whole club's fans and history, not just a 'tabloid' comment. I mean, how the hell dare he?? Are we supposed to meekly accept what he says?? ...
                                  Oh good grief. Does it really bother you that much? It was a throwaway dig before a big match. Ferguson comes out with worse all the time. Shit, Moyes is constantly banging on before a derby about what a failure Benitez is and how Liverpool should be doing better in the league. Let it go, for fucks sake. Mind games are part of it. Are you really that insecure in your team that a portly Spaniard from over the way calling you small is enough to send you into coniptions? Perhaps it's a case of protesting too much?

Comment

Hobbes to be precise Benitez said it in his post match interview following the 0-0 draw at Anfield.

Comment

I will let things go when I want to let things go.

The fact that he is overweight and Spanish does not excuse his comments - would you condone Luis Aragones's comments about Thierry Henry for the same reason?

Comment

Oh you are not seriously comparing Aragones revolting racist comments about Henry with a chuckaway jibe about a football club's size? If you are you really really need to revaluate your priorities.

Hobbes to be precise Benitez said it in his post match interview following the 0-0 draw at Anfield.
                                        Sir, I stand corrected.

Comment

Oh come on.

Your (Freudian?) outrage over the "small club" jibe was ludicrously disproportionate to begin with, but comparing it to the N-bomb?

You do your case no favours.

Comment

You've got me and Toro agreeing on something. That's how ludicrous your argument is.

Comment

you are not seriously comparing Aragones revolting racist comments about Henry with a chuckaway jibe about a football club's size

He isn't doing that -- he's saying that your mentions of Benitez being "overweight and Spanish" don't have any relevance to what's being discussed.

Comment

there was nothing throwaway about benitez's small club comment. what he actually said was "When you play against the smaller teams at Anfield you know the game will be narrow." Given the way that liverpool usually play, that comment is laughable.

Also When as at that point, you have finished behind your clubs major local rivals as often as you have outdone them, you are in no position to call them a smaller team. Benitez was just being a cock.

I can't imagine how pissed off you would have been if fergie came out after the recent massacre at old trafford and said that "it was a brave performance from a smaller club that was hopelessly out of its depth."

and aragones called henry "that black shit" not a "nigger". and your criticism of what is a rather fair point is just stupid. It doesn't matter how offensive the insults that are being compared is. The point is that being a fat spaniard doesn't detract from the offensiveness of your comments.

Comment

I'm going to say this once, and once only.

"He's just a portly Spaniard, don't take it so seriously" is an appropriate response to some things that a portly Spaniard might say.

That there is at least one thing a portly Spaniard has said, ever, that it is not an appropriate response to does not make it inappropriate in this case, because if Lodz. is claiming an analogy between the two comments, he's totally mistaken.

Got that?

And your n-word/black shit distinction is (a) entirely irrelevant and (b) less acute when you remember he was (presumably) speaking Spanish.

Comment

I have to say at the time I gave Benitez the benefit of the doubt about the "small club" comment , seeing it as clumsy english rather than a calculated dig.

It's quite fair to mention it on a thread about the increasing poisonous atmosphere of the Mersey derby because it is a significant contributory factor.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X