Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Everton try to end war of words with Liverpool

Bill Poster wrote:
    Suddenly all the stuff about Heysel and how we 'robbed' them of European glory came about. They've had 18 years since English teams were allowed back into Europe to put history right - and that's our fault too?
    It was their best ever team and it was prevented from having a crack at the European Cup -- twice. If that had happened to Man United or Liverpool or a London club we'd never hear the end of it.

Comment

It's not irony meregreen it's fucking bang out of order. There are many Reds very, very angry about this.

Comment

HB: they only realised it was their best ever team about 10 years later when they were dodging relegation. Hence why I said history was revisited.

The thing is, I can accept that it was terrible that the team missed out on Europe, but the reason for the demise since then is not down to Liverpool. Much as I can rail at Souness for taking apart a winning team it's not all Souness's fault that since he left we still haven't won the title.

Comment

Actually it did happen to a London club. Palace's 3rd place in 1991 will never be repeated (in this reality anyway). And as there is little likelihood of us ever finishing higher than 18th, that was our one and only shot at European glory/nightmare.

But, you know? shit happens. And real people died.

Comment

Why did it take until the mid 90's and the Peter Johnson fiasco for the Evertonian anger to make an appearance? Liverpool won the double at Everton's expense in 86, won the league more than once as well as a couple of cups after that whilst Everton were in freefall, and an arson and match-fixing incident from relegation.

Not arguing against a feeling of injustice but about the timing of it.

Glad to see that in the Toffeeworld Foreign Exchange, acouple of deluded dickheads showering shit is worse than thousands crowing about Michael Shield's arse, disrespecting minute's silences for Hillsborough and chanting 'murderers' at every opportunity. possible all over Europe.

Comment

Bill Poster wrote:
              HB: they only realised it was their best ever team about 10 years later when they were dodging relegation. Hence why I said history was revisited.

The thing is, I can accept that it was terrible that the team missed out on Europe, but the reason for the demise since then is not down to Liverpool. Much as I can rail at Souness for taking apart a winning team it's not all Souness's fault that since he left we still haven't won the title.
              I don't think any sane Everton supporter genuinely believes the club would have dominated English football had Heysel not occurred. I suspect it's a quite specific complaint: we think the team had a good chance (realistically our only chance) of winning the European Cup in that period. That's what was galling.

What has happened since is the result of mismanagement combined with the misfortune of Everton suffering one of their periodic downturns at a time when money was flowing into English football.

Comment

I remember the fantastic response from Everton fans after Hillsborough - really, they were amazing. It was like the disaster had affected their club too.

To see the state of relations come to this, is well, sad doesn't do it justice.

Comment

Davie Dodds used to get 'Elephant man' songs and chants from pretty much all other Scottish fans throughout the 80s, I can also remember abuse about Hamish McAlpine's wife from Dundee fans at derbies in particular: it's not exactly earth-shatteringly new stuff all this, is it?

Comment

cubillas wrote:

Glad to see that in the Toffeeworld Foreign Exchange, acouple of deluded dickheads showering shit is worse than thousands crowing about Michael Shield's arse, disrespecting minute's silences for Hillsborough and chanting 'murderers' at every opportunity. possible all over Europe.
                    Glass houses hey.

I'm not interested in defending people who sing songs I find deplorable. But in response to your point, yes, I do think throwing shit represented a fresh nadir.

Whatever Everton fans have said about Liverpool, Liverpool fans have said and done far worse about Manchester United. Just accept that and you'll find it easier to climb down from the high horse.

Comment

Meregreen you sound like a decent sort, any comments I may have said about bitter Evertonians don't seem to apply to you.

Comment

How good of you to single out one exception.

Comment

OTF in "Some Football Fans of All Colours Are Cunts" realisation shocker!!

Comment

Just accept that and you'll find it easier to climb down from the high horse.

Just dismounted but still don't see I shouldn't criticise Evertonians because of any Liverpool / Manchester United bitterness.

The whole hatred thing is a fucking dangerous game and these days there seems to be a competition to continually up the ante. Hillsborough chants are de rigeur at Old Trafford these days, Munich has never really gone away at various clubs, and I truly fear that someone, somewhere, will compose an oh so witty dity about Rhys Jones before long.

Like an earlier poster said, the solidarity of the 1980's (when Heysel and Hillsborough both happened) seems long gone.

Comment

cubillas wrote:
                              Just accept that and you'll find it easier to climb down from the high horse.

Just dismounted but still don't see I shouldn't criticise Evertonians because of any Liverpool / Manchester United bitterness.

The whole hatred thing is a fucking dangerous game and these days there seems to be a competition to continually up the ante. Hillsborough chants are de rigeur at Old Trafford these days, Munich has never really gone away at various clubs, and I truly fear that someone, somewhere, will compose an oh so witty dity about Rhys Jones before long.

Like an earlier poster said, the solidarity of the 1980's (when Heysel and Hillsborough both happened) seems long gone.
                              I agree. Both sets of fans just need to chill out a bit because at the moment it's just not funny. I concede that in the context of the derby game Everton fans have probably done more to transform the nature of what was once a friendly local rivalry. But the responsibility now rests with both sets of supporters and managers (whether it's Moyes and his 'people's club' comment, or Benitez and his 'small club' jibe) to create a better atmosphere.

Comment

i can't remember, did ian ross call the cops after this instance of "fans having physical contact with players"?

Comment

Nothing new, though is it? Chelsea make gas chamber noises at WHL to this day, and there's always been a vocal racist minority at West Ham. It manifests it's way further into the public domain with Liverpool/Man Utd/Everton though, for some reason.

Comment

I agree. Both sets of fans just need to chill out a bit because at the moment it's just not funny. I concede that in the context of the derby game Everton fans have probably done more to transform the nature of what was once a friendly local rivalry. But the responsibility now rests with both sets of supporters and managers (whether it's Moyes and his 'people's club' comment, or Benitez and his 'small club' jibe) to create a better atmosphere.
                                    What he said. Amen.

Comment

As long as we agree that they started it though!

Comment

O.F.F.S.

Comment

hah, I watched this game with garcia, and he claimed that he hurdled over him. That shot wasn't repeated once during the game. did they mention it afterwards in the coverage?

Comment

On a cold day, AIATL doesn't care what colour shirt he can get.

Comment

Oh good lord. It's time once again for our all-too-often trip into Colm's Fantasy World. (Pop. 1)

Even Andy Gray thought it was completely accidental.

Comment

fantasy world my hole. look at the picture. and of course andy gray thinks its accidental. Steven gerrard is one of the faces of the premier league on the sky intro's. That's sir steven gerrard of England.

Gerrard is a scumbag with a track record of losing it in the derby, even before people started singing about his bird. now that he's one of the untouchables, stuff like this is never going to be picked up on.

Remember when he stamped on kevin nolan's chest, and having screamed about it on the pitch and pointed to the footprint on his chest. After the game Nolan basically apologised to him for putting his chest between gerrard's blessed foot and the ground.

Comment

Comment

ah, I was looking for that picture, and couldn't find it. I thought it was David weir he did that to.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X