Everton try to end war of words with Liverpool

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Whilst we would never condone the singling out of individual players for vitriolic insults, it is a shame that Mr Benitez chose to ignore the actions of his own club's supporters.

"Not only was Joleon Lescott subjected to an afternoon-long barrage of quite disgusting and quite audible abuse, Phil Neville was seemingly spat at several times and was also punched in the back by a supporter as he took a throw-in.

"We have asked Merseyside Police and our Safety Officer to look into the matter.

"In calling for Everton supporters to respect his players, Mr Benitez should, perhaps, remember his comments of 12 months ago when he sought to belittle one of world sport's oldest and most respected institutions by describing us as a 'small club'. Respect is a two-way street."
    Brilliant. While fighting fire with fire can seem a good idea, it's not a great way to put fires out.

Most respected?

Comment

Evertonians in pot and kettle shock! They didn't seem overly concerned at the abuse dished out to Fowler but loads of their 100% scouse fans (from the very same north Wales as me) ran complaining when Fowler took the piss back. Humourless bitter twats.

Comment

Fire is the best thing to fight fire with. Fire can't get past something that's already burnt.

Comment

Phoebe Disco wrote:
          Fire is the best thing to fight fire with. Fire can't get past something that's already burnt.
          OK. Join the fire brigade. See how far you get.

Comment

Hear hear Cubillas, which club labelled themselves as the peoples' club? To me it seems that when you start calling yourselves that you are also claiming something about another club.

If you need any proof about the bitterness of Everton fans look on facebook, there's all manner of groups; Justice for the 39 (with no reference to justice for victims of Heysel, apart from the title, just digs at Liverpool), Steven Gerrard's wife's a whore, Kopites are Gobshites, Shankly was really a blue, etc etc etc

Comment

Fucking hell. If you're using Facebook as your sample, you can prove anything.

Comment

I can just imagine their response had it been Yakubu on the end of that tackle like that one by Carsley which had Andy Gray bemoaning that it was a fair tackle until he saw the slomo. They even added him onto their hate list when he had the audacity to enjoy Gerrard's goal against Olympiakos. Wouldn't be surprised to see their new ground accomodate a Bitter End.

Comment

I know, I know but it's just an indication of their bitterness.

There's an Everton fan I know who moved to Chester from Llandudno last year. He seems to think that he's a proper Evertonian now. Someone dared to have a jovial little dig about Sunday and was greeted with the response;

"I only give it back to the redshites who actually go to matches, Kopites are Gobshites"

or in other words

"You're just a "typical" Liverpool fan, you don't come from Liverpool and you're a glory hunter whereas I'm a proper fan, not a glory hunter drawn by the glamour of a big club from another place"

He didn't like it when I pointed out the irony of his position.

Comment

Fair enough. But in this instance, regarding the Merseyside Derby from the weekend, what the Liverpool fans got up to was far, far worse than anything the Everton lot got the chance to do.

Comment

The first Everton fanzine started in that subrb of Liverpool called Porthmadog (its rights of the outskirts of the city, some 100 miles in fact). The best-selling Everton hooligan memoirs (Scally) was written by Andy Nicholls from Flint (another suburb no doubt). Everton don't do irony, just bile.

Comment

What was actually chanted by both sides' support that has triggered this. I've heard about the alleged punch and spitting at Neville.

Comment

The Everton fans sang

The baby's not yours
                          The baby's not yours
                          Steve Gerard
                          The baby's not yours

Which is hardly the "hate-filled chants" that I was expecting.

I don't know what was sung to Lescott, but after the alleged (dunno why I'm saying alleged, I've seen the footage) spitting and punching, it doesn't really matter.

Comment

But in this instance, regarding the Merseyside Derby from the weekend, what the Liverpool fans got up to was far, far worse than anything the Everton lot got the chance to do.Apart from an Everton offical's response to Benitez' comments, what actual evidence is there that Neville was hit or spat at? I watched the match and saw his get some terrible abuse, but no worse than Gerrard got when taking a corner at the Anfield Road End and in any corner of Old Trafford when we go there to capitulate.

Comment

I would have thought that the least likely person to cheat on their partner would be a footballers partner, given the meal ticket nature of their relationship.

Comment

Yeah, you would have thought so...

cubillas - I saw the footage of it. When P. Nev was taking a throw, a guy leant over the hoardings and spat at him.

Comment

cubillas wrote:
                                  Apart from an Everton offical's response to Benitez' comments, what actual evidence is there that Neville was hit or spat at?
                                  Television pictures.

Neville was lucky he didn't get cups of shit thrown at him.

Comment

Crystal clear TV pictures should mean an official visit for that bloke sometime soon then. Did you see anyone hit Neville though?

Comment

Apart from an Everton offical's response to Benitez' comments, what actual evidence is there that Neville was hit or spat at?

they actually showed it during the match. There was a guy leaning over the side of the hoardings doing it.

That gerrard chant is very mean, given how hopelessly emotionally and mentally unstable gerrard is.

Wayne Rooney may look more retarded, but having read his autobiography and listened to his various interviews over the years, I have yet to come across any evidence that Gerrard is any smarter than rooney.

Certainly I doubt that rooney would fill an autobiography with as many hostages to fortune and be quite so revealing about himself as gerrard.

Comment

they actually showed it during the match. There was a guy leaning over the side of the hoardings doing it.

Spitting and punching him in the back?

Comment

the lescott chant was

the elephant man
                                          the elephant maaaaaan
                                          joleon lescott
                                          the elephant man

another chant directed at gerrard was

what's that coming over your bird
                                          is it a gangster? is it a gangster?

Comment

Lescott was being called the Elephant Man.

I don't condone it and as far as Phil Neville is concerned, he's suffering the sins of his gobshite brother. Phil has mainly kept a quiet dignity and personally I think it's out of order having a go at him. Gary on the other hand can fuck right off.

This was the exchange of text messages with an Everton 'friend' I've known since primary school:

BP: "Never Mind, there's always Channel 5. Moyes signed his new contract yet?"
                                            ESF: "Murderers"
                                            BP: "Charming. That's low even for you"
                                            ESF: "Low but true"

Bitter doesn't cover it. The thing is it was never like this until the late 90s. Something happened, not least a revision of late 80s history when they were a tream struggling with relegation and while we were not exactly troubling the cup engravers very much, we were at least at the right end of the table and occasionally in contention for the title. At least until the end of August. Suddenly all the stuff about Heysel and how we 'robbed' them of European glory came about. They've had 18 years since English teams were allowed back into Europe to put history right - and that's our fault too?

Comment

cubillas wrote:

Spitting and punching him in the back?
                                              I did wonder if it was the incident I saw during the live broadcast. Someone was definitely leaning over the hoarding to get at Neville and I recall thinking it looked dangerous but I can't say you could tell exactly what he was doing.

Comment

what's that coming over your bird
                                                is it a gangster? is it a gangster?
                                                It would be peurile to admit to finding that quite funny, wouldn't it?

Comment

As far as the song sung about Lescott it’s about him supposedly looking like the Elephant Man. Or you could take the one about Neville shagging his mum and his sister. If you want photgraphic evidence of Neville being spat upon, this is the closest I could find. It looks like the idiot behind him is about to let fly, but I accept that it's open to interpretation.

http://football.guardian.co.uk/News_Story/0,,2269902,00.html

With regard to the Carsley tackle (which in his defence, was a clumsy but genuine attempt to get to the ball), Gerrard meted out revenge in typically sly fashion. See here:

http://www.sportinglife.com/football...l_Gerrard.html

There's an irony in Liverpool supporters trying to intimidate and molest players. Similarly, there was an irony in ticketless supporters bunking into an already overflowing ground at last season's Champions League final. It's an irony that I'm sure isn't lost on most decent Liverpool fans who have a sense of history.

As for the bile and bitterness, sadly, it's probably a fair accusation, but I’d take that over the human excrement every time. Still, as a humourless, bitter twat, what do I know.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X