League Cup 2014/15

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

League Cup 2014/15

Rogin the Armchair Fan wrote: For someone who used to get to go to a lot of League Cup Finals in the 1980s (my Dad was marketing manager for a firm that used to get given tickets by Plymouth Argyle), I have almost no recollection of recent League Cup finals, although I must have watched them all. There was that one Bradford got to, wasn't there, and the one Arsenal gave away to Birmingham. Liverpool won one, didn't they? Against Cardiff? I honestly can't remember who won last year's.
    How dare you? We won that fair and square.

Arsenal's sense of entitlement leading up to that final really pissed me off. There was talk about whether Fabregas or van Persie would collect the trophy, never once considering that it might just be the little bald dynamo Stephen Carr.

Winning was incredible anyway but the fact that it was through two set-pieces, against a club that seemed to regard us as brutish philistines, made it all the sweeter.

As for today's game, I hope, like all right thinking people, that Spurs win. They're hardly great underdogs but anything's preferable to Chelsea, surely?

Comment

League Cup 2014/15

Jeez that ref was lenient.

You'd hardly have known Chelsea fans were here. Quiet fuckers.

Comment

League Cup 2014/15

If we're remembering old League Cup finals, let's go right back to Peak Hair: Norwich and Villa, 1975.

Mel Machin's save (1 hour 32 and a bit) is superb: the ref doesn't even book him, though it looks like he's sending him off, it's only for treatment.

In those days of maximum ticket allocation for clubs (more than for the FA Cup final), the fans certainly made some noise. The hymn to Saunders at the end is quite moving, the miserable old git almost smiles.

Comment

League Cup 2014/15

The villa captain looks thoroughly depressed when he lifts the cup doesn't he?

Comment

League Cup 2014/15

hah the villa fans are singing you'll never walk alone

Comment

League Cup 2014/15

Brian Little!!!!

Words can't describe his hair, and google images can't do it justice. just watch a bit of the game.

Comment

League Cup 2014/15

Little's hair is definitely a star.

Other highlights -

Brian Moore has no sidekick (the game was intended for highlights only) and he struggles to last the full 90.

As always at the old Wembley finals, the proximity of the managers on the benches is not designed for personal space. They must have whispered their tactics or said nothing all game.

Comment

League Cup 2014/15

Good a place as any for posting this, my cousin in Florence last week with some random Spurs fella.

Comment

League Cup 2014/15

Chelsea winning also means sixth place is now worth fighting over (or not, depending on your view of the Europa League).

Comment

Working...
                    X