League Cup 2014/15

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

League Cup 2014/15

Draw for Round 1 has been made, and the warmed balls that seem to be placed there so for some bizarre reason they can pit Wimbledon against Franchise have done their work again.

Oldham Athletic v Middlesbrough
    Shrewsbury Town v Blackpool
    Sheffield Wednesday v Notts County
    Tranmere Rovers v Nottingham Forest
    Leeds United v Accrington Stanley
    Bolton Wanderers v Bury
    Rochdale v Preston North End
    Rotherham United v Fleetwood Town
    Carlisle United v Derby County
    Port Vale v Hartlepool United
    Morecambe v Bradford City
    Barnsley v Crewe Alexandra
    Chesterfield v Huddersfield Town
    Blackburn Rovers v Scunthorpe United
    Burton Albion v Wigan Athletic
    York City v Doncaster Rovers
    Sheffield United v Mansfield Town
    Reading v Newport County
    Bristol City v Oxford United
    Brighton & Hove Albion v Cheltenham Town
    Coventry City v Cardiff City
    Luton Town v Swindon Town
    Dagenham & Redbridge v Brentford
    Charlton Athletic v Colchester United
    Crawley Town v Ipswich Town
    Wolverhampton Wanderers v Northampton Town
    Yeovil Town v Gillingham
    Milton Keynes Dons v AFC Wimbledon
    Exeter City v AFC Bournemouth
    Stevenage v Watford
    Plymouth Argyle v Leyton Orient
    Birmingham City v Cambridge Untied
    Portsmouth v Peterborough United
    Millwall v Wycombe Wanderers
    Southend United v Walsall

League Cup 2014/15

Of the clubs back in the league (and therefore the league cup) Luton seem to have been given a easier looking match back. Cambridge have to go St Andrews.

Comment

League Cup 2014/15

Luton v Swindon is a match-up of two former winners who both beat Arsenal in the final.

The winners of that will get Birmingham in round two.

Comment

League Cup 2014/15

I wish the Football League would stream the draw on Youtube rather than just dumping it on their website, I'm sure there's quite a lot of people who would quite happily watch it.

Notts County home for us, should be winnable...

Comment

League Cup 2014/15

This has "Ipswich suffer first round upset on penalties" written all over it.

Comment

League Cup 2014/15

ad hoc wrote: Draw for Round 1 has been made, and the warmed balls that seem to be placed there so for some bizarre reason they can pit Wimbledon against Franchise have done their work again.
            This draw was both regionalised and seeded. The chances of this particular pairing coming out was therefore somewhat higher than might have been expected. There were only 17 other sides that Wimbledon could possibly have drawn.

Comment

League Cup 2014/15

There's an intriguing popular owners derby at Sixfields.

Comment

League Cup 2014/15

The Red Dragon Franchise's fans might get to see how proper supporters react to an owner fucking around with the fundamentals of a club.

Comment

League Cup 2014/15

urgh, its at stadium:franchise again too. i could maybe get behind it if it was at wimbledon

sheffield wednesday away means i need not put any hope in doing well in the tournament

Comment

League Cup 2014/15

Fuck the League Cup and its exclusive rules that mean only League teams can play in it. I think ex-League teams that have previously competed at least 25 times in it should be grandfathered in. Like Rangers in the European Cup, some of us have a tradition to uphold of already being out of a major competition by the end of August.

Comment

League Cup 2014/15

Won't you still be in (or out) of the Johnstone's Paint Trophy?

Comment

League Cup 2014/15

No, the experiment with some Conference teams playing in that only lasted a season or two. Its now just League One and League Two sides reserve teams involved.

Comment

League Cup 2014/15

We failed to qualify with the last kick of the season...

Comment

League Cup 2014/15

Ah well, it'll just be the Bob Lord Trophy then, if someone can resurrect it?

Comment

League Cup 2014/15

Look at this wank: http://www.afcwimbledon.co.uk/news/article/capital-one-cup-promotion-1646852.aspx

Comment

League Cup 2014/15

That's obviously a pre-agreed promotion for all clubs committed to before the fixture was drawn (and part of the conditions of entry, I'd imagine).

This is far more indicative of the club's actual attitude:

"This is a fixture we have played before and while we approach it with no more appetite than the previous game, the club will, of course, fulfil the fixture in a professional way."

Comment

League Cup 2014/15

Yeah, that's why it was wank. I didn't think for a minute they'd be promoting it themselves. All these FC United fans wanting League football need to be careful what they wish for.

Comment

League Cup 2014/15

We travel to the newly-rebranded Macron Stadium, where we beat them in the second round in 2002 (and I had a stand-up row with one of their fans on the platform at Horwich Parkway on the way home to Preston).

Hoping for a bit of the spirit of that and April 1990 when we beat them 2-0 and Jamie Hoyland scored the goal of his life.

Comment

League Cup 2014/15

longeder wrote: I wish the Football League would stream the draw on Youtube rather than just dumping it on their website, I'm sure there's quite a lot of people who would quite happily watch it.

Notts County home for us, should be winnable...
                                      I've always wanted the draws for the early qualifying rounds of the FA Cup (involving hundreds of ties) to be streamed somewhere rather than just being released in early July. I think this is because I suspect that FA councillors draw a few ties at a time whilst lying on chaise longues and being fed grapes by interns.

Comment

League Cup 2014/15

The regionalisation is I presume a rough north/south split. Blackburn is not exactly local for the Iron, but then again it's a team we don't play often, should be a good early season workout.

Comment

League Cup 2014/15

Yep, a simple north/south. The first 17 ties in the draw as listed by ad hoc were the northern section, the last 18 the southern. In each section half the sides were seeded, deducing which from most of the pairings is pretty straightforward.

Comment

League Cup 2014/15

Never knew it was seeded. I'm very disappointed by this news.

Comment

League Cup 2014/15

I'd never heard of it before, but the Cambridge Evening News mentioned it in a somewhat breathless report about United waiting to hear who they would play in their first go back in the competition. The complete absence of any all-Championship or all-League Two ties would seem to confirm it.

Comment

League Cup 2014/15

kevinho wrote:
                                                This has "Ipswich suffer first round upset on penalties" written all over it.
                                                So, the League Cup starts in earnest tonight after Derby saw off Carlisle last night.

At this stage of proceedings every year, I am excited at the prospect of a number of academy players getting a game for Ipswich. Tonight, 17-year-old defender Matt Clarke will make his debut, and striker Jack Marriott - for whom we supporters have high hopes although Mick Mac has seemed unconvinced thus far - will make his first start. There could also be opportunities for Teddy Bishop, the forgotten Byron Lawrence and more. Pleasing stuff.

By 10.30, of course, we'll have been beaten, probably in the manner Kev predicts, we'll feel terribly left out during the Round 2 midweek and the youngsters won't be seen again until this time next year.

Still, anyone else looking forward to it?

Comment

League Cup 2014/15

Had to check the team lists to make sure something wasn't missing from how the BBC are reporting the current score at St. Andrews.

It reads
                                                  Code:
                                                  Birmingham	1-1	Cambridge
                                                  Donaldson 16		Donaldson 38
                                                  Not an own goal, as it turns out. Instead Clayton scored for Brum, Ryan for Cambridge. Initials might be handy here, Beeb.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X