X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• caja-dglh
    replied
    Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post

This is a very large part of the reason why the investigation took four years and why the decision has been effectively outsourced to an arbitral tribunal
    It is why the fanbase that considers this a "witch hunt" is a mystery to me. This is like OPEC having to punish a member for overproducing oil. Everyone is meant to play nicely so the collective make a fortune. There is a lot at risk - cynically I would suggest this is a key contributor to why MCFC were supportive of the break-away.

Leave a comment:

• ursus arctos
    replied
    Originally posted by caja-dglh View Post
    It will certainly be interesting to see how this all plays out. It is a very tricky spot that the Premier League finds themselves in.
    This is a very large part of the reason why the investigation took four years and why the decision has been effectively outsourced to an arbitral tribunal

Leave a comment:

• Johnny Velvet
    replied
    Apologies, I don't know why I lumped in Pirlo with the others.

It's a very tricky situation for the Premier League, not least because if they do decide to strip City of their titles it then deals a significant blow to the league's credibility. I've come across people who've said they don't bother watching Italian football anymore because of scandals like Calciopoli. What does it say about the Premier League - a league where that level of chicanery wasn't supposed to happen - if it turns out that it's as susceptible to corruption and financial doping as any other major league? All of a sudden it loses some of its appeal. Maybe not enough to fatally undermine the product but enough to remove the aura of invincibility that has cloaked the league in recent seasons. It'd be nice to think so.

To put it another way, this isn't going to look good to some sponsors or investors

Premier League Title Winners
    2010/11 - Manchester United
    2011/12 - Manchester City*
    2012/13 - Manchester United
    2013/14 - Manchester City*
    2014/15 - Chelsea
    2015/16 - Leicester City
    2016/17 - Chelsea
    2017/18 - Manchester City*
    2018/19 - Manchester City*
    2019/20 - Liverpool
    2020/21 - Manchester City*
    2021/22 - Manchester City*
    Last edited by Johnny Velvet; 07-02-2023, 18:36.

Leave a comment:

• caja-dglh
    replied
    It will certainly be interesting to see how this all plays out. It is a very tricky spot that the Premier League finds themselves in.

Leave a comment:

• ursus arctos
    replied
    Zalayeta is the one I always forget

Leave a comment:

• Gert from the Well
    replied
    Thanks ursus arctos, I thought it was Camoranesi but I was not sure of the spelling.

Leave a comment:

• ursus arctos
    replied
    Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
    If they're under contract, couldn't they stay or demand that their contracts were paid up?

But I'd also assume nobody will sign for them while the threat of relegation is in the air (and they'd be daft to extend contracts).
    This is, with all due respect, deranged

Leave a comment:

• ursus arctos
    replied
    The seven were Alessandro Del Piero, Gianluigi Buffon, Giorgio Chiellini, Pavel Nedvěd, David Trezeguet, Marcelo Zalayeta and Mauro Camoranesi.

Leave a comment:

• Gert from the Well
    replied
    IIRC it was a 'magnificent seven' who stayed though I'm struggling to remember the other two and it was Buffon with the 'I've never won Serie B' quote.

Leave a comment:

• Il Più Vecchio Smoggie
    replied
    Buffon, Del Piero, Trezeguet and Nedved all stuck around. Pirlo was yet to join the club. I recall one of either Del Piero or Buffon rationalising the decision to stay on because they'd never won Serie B before, and considered it a novel challenge. I cannot imagine for a milisecond any of the current City squad feeling the same way about a gruelling Championship season.

Leave a comment:

• Satchmo Distel
    replied
    If they're under contract, couldn't they stay or demand that their contracts were paid up?

But I'd also assume nobody will sign for them while the threat of relegation is in the air (and they'd be daft to extend contracts).

Leave a comment:

• Johnny Velvet
    replied
    This is good on how things might play out if a) City were found guilty b) there was sufficient will to punish them harshly and c) their legal team wasn't able to spare them.

Something I find interesting about the comparison with Juventus' relegation and the potential relegation of City. When Juventus were consigned to the Serie B there was an exodus but I remember several of their key players decided to stay. Buffon and Pirlo, if I remember rightly. When asked why they both came out with something along the lines of, "This is a great club that's been fucked over by the authorities. We're staying to fight and bring the club back where it belongs."

Total bullshit of course but that kind of exceptionalism only comes with being part of a club that's constructed a narrative for itself and has sustained intergenerational success to back up its claims. It's easier to foster a sense of belonging, of a "cause," if you're a club like Juventus or Barcelona. The Abu Dhabi incarnation of Manchester City aren't that kind of club. They're a nakedly mercenarial outfit and always will be because of the very nature of their success. Everyone who is at City is there because they're being paid more money than they'd get anywhere else and because of the other talented players and coaches who are already in situ. Nobody is at City because they deeply love the club and want to be part of its regeneration. Relegation for them would mean all of their best talent leaving for good, which would in turn mean several years in the wilderness at a minimum.

All pie in the sky of course. But it does expose what kind of operation they are.

Leave a comment:

• nmrfox
    replied
    Originally posted by San Bernardhinault View Post
    They should, in fact, nullify all titles since Chelsea and City started financial doping, as Chelsea and City will have taken points from some clubs, or injured other clubs' players in dodgy tackles, and, of course, forced clubs to spend more than they could afford, among other things. There is no way of knowing how any league results would have played out in that time, so therefore everybody's titles should be revoked.
    Now, let's not be quite so hasty with the all titles there.

Leave a comment:

• ad hoc
    replied
    Originally posted by Janik View Post

Juventus have been known to still count the unawarded title towards their total. Just like Lance Armstrong has been known to pretend his disqualifications didn't happen.
    Yes but twats gonna twat. Whatever happens wankers who support MCFC and wankers who support whoever was runner up are going to argue they won. But fuck them. Just like all reasonable humans look at Juve fans who say they won that title and make that wanker gesture

Leave a comment:

• ursus arctos
    replied
    Saved me a post there

It was also determined that Juventus' adventures in influencing results had had more impact in that season than others

Juve's claiming of the vacated tiitpes included this unobtrusive display in their new ground at a time before they had 30 recognised scudetti

Leave a comment:

• Janik
    replied
    Actually, having re-familiarised myself with it, Inter finished third in the season that was subsequently awarded to them. Milan were second, but had 30 points deducted for their involvement in the same stuff. Which only dropped them to third in the adjusted table.

Leave a comment:

• hobbes
    replied
    Originally posted by San Bernardhinault View Post
    They should, in fact, nullify all titles since Chelsea and City started financial doping, as Chelsea and City will have taken points from some clubs, or injured other clubs' players in dodgy tackles, and, of course, forced clubs to spend more than they could afford, among other things. There is no way of knowing how any league results would have played out in that time, so therefore everybody's titles should be revoked.
    Can't we ask an Octopus or the Mirror's supercomputer or sommat?

Leave a comment:

• hobbes
    replied
    I already consider Liverpool to be the moral victors of 2014, 2019 and 2022 anyway, so it doesn't matter to me what they do if they take 'em away from Sportswash.
    But then, I also consider us the moral victors in 1989 and 2009 as well, and also the game against Wolves last weekend probably. I didn't see it.

Leave a comment:

• Janik
    replied
    Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
    There's no way other clubs should be awarded those titles. Just take them away from Manchester City, and list the titles as "not awarded" as was done with Juventus in Serie A.
    Not quite. That happened with one of the seasons in question. For the other, runners-up Inter were declared as the champions. Both seasons had concluded by the time of these decisions, but the one given to Inter was the most recent to the rulings.

Juventus have been known to still count the unawarded title towards their total. Just like Lance Armstrong has been known to pretend his disqualifications didn't happen.

Leave a comment:

• San Bernardhinault
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Fussbudget
    replied
    Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
    There's no way other clubs should be awarded those titles. Just take them away from Manchester City, and list the titles as "not awarded" as was done with Juventus in Serie A.
    Exactly, or like they did for the TdF Armstrong wins. All those BRC fans licking their lips going "oooh give us more titles" is unseemly

Leave a comment:

• Satchmo Distel
    replied
    You can't award titles in retrospect because, among other things, some clubs might have settled for 3rd or 4th place after they realized they couldn't catch the leaders. I know that might be unfair on, say, Liverpool if they finished on 100 points and 3rd place finished on 80, but on principle it opens too many protests.

And imagine the fuss if Liverpool get awarded more titles than Man U, or vice versa.

Leave a comment:

• Tony C
    replied
    Originally posted by G-Man View Post

I don't think I defended the creation of the Premier League in any way. The lucky timing I referred to was the ability of the BRCs to capitalise on the windfalls of their scheme, something which Everton and, to a lesser extent, Spurs failed to do.
    The ‘Big Six’ exploited the desperate weakness of English football administration to enforce the most exploitative, self-rewarding project imaginable. Your notion of them being able to “capitalise on the windfalls of their scheme” is akin to showering praise on a tax dodger who cynically found loopholes in the tax system to save himself millions but spent the money well.
    Last edited by Tony C; 07-02-2023, 14:58.

Leave a comment:

• G-Man
    replied
    Originally posted by Tony C View Post

Well, it was available as long as you were in the PL. The very formation of the PL was about creating an independent television rights deal for the top flight and detaching themselves from the burden of sharing rights amongst the rest of the Football League. To couch it in terms of “lucky timing” is hugely disingenuous in this context - it was a clear strategy of the ‘Big Six’ to form a protected financial elite in English football, with the long term idea of the rich getting richer and the poor of no consequence to them. I would agree it was their “own efforts” but how much credit anyone would care to give those clubs who focused such efforts on the protection of the financial haves at the expense of the have-nots would rather depend on your politics.
    I don't think I defended the creation of the Premier League in any way. The lucky timing I referred to was the ability of the BRCs to capitalise on the windfalls of their scheme, something which Everton and, to a lesser extent, Spurs failed to do. At the point the EPL was created, Arsenal had just starting winning league titles for the first time in nearly 20 years; Man Utd hadn't won a league title in almost a quarter of a century and were, in fact, a mid-table team when the decision to establish the EPL was made. And it absolutely is fortuitous timing for Man Utd that the establishment of the EPL coincided with the club having a golden generation of youth players coming through, two of whom were eminently marketable, managed by the greatest manager British football has seen. Own effort and luck.

Ethically offensive and destructive of competition as the establishment of the EPL was, it was lightyears away from autocratic regimes and oligarchs pumping zillions into underachieving clubs, as if football was just a cheat version of Championship Manager.

Leave a comment:

• Giggler
    replied
    Originally posted by Nocturnal Submission View Post

Wiki doesn't say anything about him being jailed; in fact it says that he was acquitted of a manslaughter charge.
    Erk. Amended my post.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X