Throwing your collection of programmes away

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Felicity, I guess so View Post
    There’s a shop in Newcastle that does that- loads of progs but a range of vintage and new memorabilia too. I have twice used it for last-minute birthday presents ‘Hello, what Forest stuff have you got...?’ and the holy grail of finding the birth date programme of the person whose 40th it is.
    The shop near St James’?

Comment

Ha, that's my go-to present for friends turning 40 or 50 too, or at least the programme their club's first game of their lifetime.

Comment

Originally posted by danielmak View Post

I missed this post originally, but the story is interesting and I'm drawn to the photos. I started (but never finished) a project where I interviewed record store owners in the Chicago area. As anyone participating in this thread who goes to record shops knows, there seem to be three types of shops: (1) Spaces that are total mess, with records stacked randomly and alphabetized sections only partially used. (2) Spaces that are so neat and organized that records are easy to find but the shop just feels too sterile. (3) The shops that fit perfectly between these two: Nothing is piled up randomly but the shop feels inviting and communal.

The photos of the programme shop seem to fall into (1) even if the text claims that there is an organizational system. I am not a programme collector, but it seems like this business is going to fade either way given the posts above about programmes moving to digital platforms. But maybe a shop could survive in a city if programmes were part of the shop's focus, with books and other football memorabilia rounding out the shop's products.
        I just had a look and the business is still going, has a website which is regularly updated (my recollection from the WSC article was that there wasn't one) and he's still trying to sell it. And it's not a shop, it's his warehouse so I guess he knows where everything is and that's what matters except, of course, for anyone who might want to take the business on.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
          I'm sorting out my Dad's hoard.

We have a load of programmes, tickets, fanzines etc to get rid of, dating back to the 80s.

They are broadly as follows
          Shrewsbury home and away
          Wales
          Wrexham
          Misc clubs, mainly non league, lots of Telford
          Fanzines & similar

These are free to anyone who wants to drive to Shrewsbury to pick them up. If your team has been shit enough to play Shrewsbury regularly there will be programmes galore from games with them.

Any takers?
          I've sorted through all these now and weeded out a few for people who follow other clubs. The fanzines have also all been rehomed.

Does anyone want several hundred programmes, almost complete Shrewsbury seasons from the last 10 years, and then a load of other random stuff? Subject to lockdown I could even bring them to you. If not, any suggestions of places I could get rid of them?

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post

I've sorted through all these now and weeded out a few for people who follow other clubs. The fanzines have also all been rehomed.

Does anyone want several hundred programmes, almost complete Shrewsbury seasons from the last 10 years, and then a load of other random stuff? Subject to lockdown I could even bring them to you. If not, any suggestions of places I could get rid of them?
            PT: I assume the National Football Museum might have everything you have, but the fact that they have a Programme Coordinator position says that they at least value programmes.

BTW, maybe someone who posts in this thread wants to see if this position was filled. If not, you could jump on it and everyone else can send their stuff to you. Haha.

https://museumdevelopmentnorthwest.w...ball-museum-2/

Comment

Originally posted by Jumbo McGinnis View Post

The shop near St James’?
              Yes, that’s the fella

Comment

After 4 weeks on Facebook Marketplace I had a flurry of interest today (5 enquiries) and all Dad's programmes have gone to a collector who says his main past-time is sitting and reading old programmes. I'm happy they've gone where they'll be appreciated. He was really chuffed to get a boot full.of programmes for nowt.

Comment

That's good to hear, it's heartbreaking to throw out someone's passion, it's nice that they'll live on.

Comment

Tbh it wasn't a passion, more of a habit. He always bought a programme. Most of them had never been read.

Comment

Yes, it's good to see that they have gone to a good home.

Comment

Would someone with an OTF connection like to give a home to any of the following? All are in excellent condition and not written in.

1966 World Cup Final - 'souvenir programme' with Jules Rimet Trophy over the Union Flag on the cover
                        1970 World Cup - official programme, red cover
                        1984 FA Cup Final (Everton vs Watford) - official souvenir programme

Comment

Last week I got rid of all my Dad's Romford programmes from the fifties and sixties. He was happy to see them go as he had no further interest in them and I went on the Romford FC facebook page to advertise them free to a good home. Within ten minutes an IT worker at the school my parents house backs onto had claimed them. An avid Romford fan he does their website and was delighted to have them. He also took the West Ham, Chelsea Spurs, Arsenal programmes from a similar era and these will go in the Romford club shop. It's always good to unite fans with memorabilia.

Comment

My dream scenario for all my piles of magazines is for some friendly archivist to offer to preserve them for generations after my death, while also offering high-quality digital versions in exchange that I can peruse every ten years or so.

Comment

I've just been to Oxfam to donate some stuff and it looks like someone has TTCOPA. There was a pile there of mostly Sheffield United programmes going back to the 60s. Strutton Ground if anyone's interested, though I appreciate Sheffield United might not be favourites of some on here. I very nearly defeated the object of the visit; there was a pile of Soccer Stars there dating back to 1961 at 50p a pop. Very tempted but resisted.

Comment

Issue 420 of WSC has an interesting article about a new football library:
                                https://www.sheffield.gov.uk/home/ca...me-of-football

Roger Titford, who wrote the piece, lists Alex Holyoake (alex.holyoake @ sheffield.gov.uk) as a contact for questions about submitting materials. Titford describes the new library as an option for multiple types of printed materials. I'll use that article to reiterate my ongoing plea not to bin stuff if the materials might be of interest to archives or libraries. Perhaps this new library could be a place to start if local libraries or university archives don't show interest in printed materials you have that you want to pass along.

Comment

Working...
                                X