Throwing your collection of programmes away

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've just moved into a new flat and I'm looking at a pile of shoe boxes in the corner full of football programmes. All in order, kept, boxed and completely untouched since I bought them. Some of them have train tickets with them and details of the match written on them, but other than that they've lain there in shoe boxes gradually gathering dust.

The thing is, they're going to have to go. I can't justify keeping them anymore. I don't need them, I don't look at them but getting rid of them feels like I'm getting rid of something, part of me even.

Anyone else taken that gulp and finally thrown them out?

I left all mine (a mixed bag ranging from the glory days of Keegan I to the assortment of mostly shitheads and morons that managed us afterwards, plus some classic old game ones that me and my dad ordered) in my mam's house and they seem to have passed to my sister by default. As has the signed Shearer England shirt and a bunch of other stuff.

I was a bit miffed about all this for a while - it was me going to the games after all - until I realized I don't actually give a fuck, and that programmes are rubbish.

The two-foot tall stack of programmes that used to sit in my dad's study were all binned, which was a little annoying, but it turns out half of them had been nibbled at by rodents.

Comment

I wouldn't necessarily just sling 'em, you'd be amazed what people will buy on ebay. Not to mention local second-hand bookshops, which almost always have a box of old programmes etc. Normally for about 10p a go, but a seller who knows his stuff will have memorable Cup ties or derby games etc for anything up to £3 or £4. Then you get into whether any are signed or not.

If you want to be philanthropical, your local Oxfam or Cancer Research shop should realise their true value if you explain what you're offering them.

Comment

I went through this with a collection of Autosport magazines covering almost exactly the duration of Ayrton Senna's F1 career. Hard though it was I've never missed them.

All I have is a glossy programme from the 92 European Cup final, Barça v Sampdoria at the old Wembley.

Comment

Throw them out? Just throw them out, just like that? How could anyone do such a thing? That's so cold.

I love old match programmes. I'll gladly take them off your hands.

Comment

I threw mine out years ago and I wish I hadn't. Mine were from the pre-internet era (mostly 1970's) and so they really were irreplaceable - the information as much as the objects themselves.

Does Britain have a football archive anywhere? A lottery-funded treasure trove? It really should.

Comment

As others have said, don't throw them away. By all means give them away because that will keep them in circulation and there will be something there that someone wants. I'm after one from every game (1000+) I've been to and for various reasons there's a few I don't have. One was for a game between Wembley and Aldershot just after Aldershot reformed. They simply didn't print enough and they were all snapped up before I could get one. I thought I would never see one, but a few months ago one popped up on ebay. Result.

Comment

If your programmes are from the 70s upwards I think you'll find they are worth very little. Pre-season friendlies and occasional cup games will be worth a little more. Best bet for me would be to offer them on a forum of your club, you may find someone to take them off your hands that way.

The arse fell out of the programme market about ten years ago, the only money making programmes you'll find now are from the 60s and before.

Comment

Quite a few non league clubs have vast random programme collections in their club shops - personally it would be a life-changing event that would make me get rid of mine, but if I had to, they'd go somewhere like that, where they'd hopefully find a loving home.

Comment

I threw an absolute shedload away about 20 years ago, nearly all Hull City programmes, including full seasons from the 70's and 80's. Also included amongst it was a programme from a game against Vasas, the crack Hungarian outfit who City actually beat in 1955. A copy of it sold on EBay a couple of years ago for £450.

So be careful, yeah?

Comment

Absolutely. That's why I mentioned friendlies. If you have any check out on ebay what sort of prices they are reaching.

Comment

Don't throw them away for gods sake.

Stick 'em in the recycling instead.

Comment

Yeah, donating to a non-league club is the best suggestion above I'd say.

Last month my mate bought one he "probably" already owned (we were being humiliated by Solihull and their shop had a programme from an old Birmingham v Stockport clash – 10p is a small price to pretend it's still the 90s in those circumstances)

Comment

After the "unpleasantness" at Cardiff a couple of years ago I've been considering what to do with all my old stuff including probably a 20 year pretty much complete home and away set of programmes from around 1992-2012, all the shirts from that period, signed stuff, the lot. Haven't had the heart to even think about it yet. Too soon.

Comment

For reasons of space and not wanting to become a hoarder like my mother, I had to throw out my collection of WSC, not sure I could bear to do the same with my programmes, although I have put some up for sale on Amazon.

Comment

tratorello wrote: For reasons of space and not wanting to become a hoarder like my mother, I had to throw out my collection of WSC
                                Clearly you had a lot of issues ...

Comment

I think I'll sort through them rather than throw the lot away. I have a lot of Southend programmes that were given to me by friends who attended the matches. Those can go to a non-league shop, along with the free ones from Steve Earl. After that I'll keep the interesting one from Cup ties and so on. But Plymouth v Bristol City from my time at university for example, don't need to be kept.

Comment

Oh how I feel your pain Paul. I haven't thrown mine out yet - even though I never look at them - but can't help feel I'm only delaying the inevitable. When we moved in 2010, I crowd-sourced this question on Facebook and, thankfully, was told emphatically never to bin them (you know who your real mates are at such times), and, given that for the first time in my adult life, I was actually gonna be in my own grown-up house with a grown-up attic (for programme storage), I've kept them with me. But having a kid brings with it whole new, perpetually growing, sources of clutter, and I fear the programmes (from most games I've been to since the mid-80s) are on borrowed time.

But cling on to 'em if you can. Boring though they all are

Comment

Donate em to your teams supporters club. If they cant find a loving anorak infested home for them then no one can.

Ive a box of two hundred or so from various clubs from 60s onwards that I dont know what to do with. I ebayed twenty Millwalls a few years back and a dealer bought em for 99p!. He gave me his card so I may just ring him up and give him them for nowt.

Comment

PM for you Sundeporino. And in order to continue with the Get With The Programme feature some of you may or may not have noticed on the site this past year or so, I'm interested in broadening my programme collection to help me cover teams, countries or competitions I don't have. I bought about 30 programmes off Ebay a few weeks ago for a small amount (eight quid, I think, plus postage) with a nice cross-selection of games and clubs. They were the first ones I've bought that weren't from games I've been to since I sent off for a random selection in Shoot! sometime in the late 70s.

I don't think they're boring, as such. Obviously a lot of them are crap, but that doesn't necessarily mean they're boring. But then I love reading old newspapers (fascinating) much more than today's newspaper (depressing), and I can stare at old maps for hours.

Comment

Curiously, of course, as with all collectibles, rarity is a big factor in determining value.

If I wanted a Liverpool programme from 1977-78 against Bolton I could probably go on-line right now and find one for about 50p, because there are 50,000 of the things out there somewhere.

If you're sat on a stock of old Southend programmes, then yes, at the moment, they'll be almost worthless. Probably even in Southend. But in ten years when Southend are top-5 in the Premier League and have just won the Cup for the first time, these will be gold dust.

Comment

PM back to IMP

Comment

There's a taxi in Worthing that is either owned or sponsored by a guy who buys and sells football programmes.

Comment

What do you do with your old magazines?

Comment

I don't collect programmes so I have to defer to others regarding donation but I want to echo the sentiments of others in this thread: don't throw your old football programmes, fanzines, magazines, VHS tapes, etc. in the trash. Instead, donate them. One other option beyond what has been suggested is special collections in libraries. As I understand it, there are a few football studies-related courses in the UK. I assume the libraries at those universities would want football materials.

Of course, whenever I see these spring cleaning threads, I always have to put in my wants list: if anyone is dumping copies of Rigore (an English language zine about Italian football) or Aux Armes (an English language zine about French football) please PM me.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X