Throwing your collection of programmes away

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've got loads , and I have to decide what to do with them for my impending moves. If I come across any duplicates imp, you can have them, but I can't see me chucking them.

Comment

After my Grandad passed, my Gran gave me an old clear plastic bag with some football memorabilia in. I opened the bag and inside was:

Scotland v England, Hampden Park, 24th Feb 1968 programme.
      Hill's Sporting News Annual 1964-65.
      Nottinghamshire FA Directory 1956-57.
      Balderton Old Boys FC Membership Card, 1948-49.

I looked up the programme and the annual on the internet and I'd be doing really well to get £10 for the pair. I must admit I was surprised it was that low. No idea what the other two are worth. I wouldn't sell them anyway.

Comment

Ticket stubs > programmes

Comment

David Agnew wrote: I've got loads , and I have to decide what to do with them for my impending moves. If I come across any duplicates imp, you can have them, but I can't see me chucking them.
          That'd be great - cheers.

Comment

I've got a couple of boxes to look through and will probably rationalise as I go.

Imp, I might have some doubles. My brother gave me his old programmes and I'm pretty sure that means I have two from some games.

How interested are you in ones where someone (hem hem) has crossed out the printed names and written in the names of the actual starting XI? (And marked on scorers and who was subbed and whatnot.)

Comment

Have you included the attendance, marks out of ten and comments on the match as well?

Comment

Jongudmund wrote: Imp, I might have some doubles. My brother gave me his old programmes and I'm pretty sure that means I have two from some games.

How interested are you in ones where someone (hem hem) has crossed out the printed names and written in the names of the actual starting XI? (And marked on scorers and who was subbed and whatnot.)
                I don't mind that at all - in fact I prefer it. I'm not collecting them, they're for potential inclusion in the ongoing project that is Get With The Programme. Thanks!

Comment

Paul S wrote: Have you included the attendance, marks out of ten and comments on the match as well?
                  Oh quite possibly. I definitely used to mark who I thought my man of the match was to compare later with the Shropshire Star, whose journalist was always quite wrong.

Comment

A good friend died last week and, as he didn’t have any close relatives, I’ve been helping with the grim task of going through his things. Most of his stuff is to be thrown out but I couldn’t let his football programmes go so, despite trying to have a bit of a clear out myself at the moment, I’m now in possession of a pile of old Chelsea home programmes. I don’t particularly want them, though might hang on to a one or two, but would like to see them go to a good home if possible. They date from 1957 to 1980. So if anyone’s interested in the lot, or has a gap in their collection that I might be able to fill, let me know. I haven’t had chance to go through them all yet but among the older ones there’s a couple of ‘International Club Matches’ and two ‘International Industries Fairs Inter Cities Cup’ games. I didn’t know about the ‘International Industries’ bit. There’s also a couple of England U-23 programmes and a Youth Cup final featuring Terry Venables and a, presumably, 18 year-old Ron Harris looking no different to the 30 year-old Ron Harris. I’m not interested in faffing around selling, unless someone tells me I have a real rarity on my hands, but just want them to find a good home. Any suggestions? Otherwise it’s a charity shop.

Comment

Might be worth checking out your local non-league clubs. Many of them have a sideline in selling old programmes in their shops along with usual club merchandise.That's what I did with most of my collection.

Comment

Sorry to hear of the loss of your friend, Capybara. Do Chelsea themselves have a museum? You never know, they might be interested in some of the more unusual ones.

Comment

My brother recently helped his wife clean out her unmarried brother's house after he died, including loads of footie memorabilia from the late 50's through the 90's. He emailed people at Football Zone and Scott Football and finally Nick Barber and more besides. They all expressed an interest. He finally shipped a box off to Nick who then gave cash for the lot, which they then donated to the local youth center in her brother's name. If it's not your personal collection with nothing for you to lose or gain, this may be an option for you, of course, it involves use of your time and possibly having to box stuff up for shipment.

As I have mentioned before on here, I have parted ways with a ton of footie memorabilia the last 18 months, as my wife and daughter will kick it to the kerb, once I keel over. Better for me to 'monetise it' now and get it to someone who wants it, than have it end up in recycling. I am keeping all my FKS Sticker albums forever though. Not sure about all my Liverpool home programmes, which I have just about every complete season from 1962 through 1978 and loads more besides.

Best of luck.

Comment

Have you sent a message to imp? He might still be looking for stuff.

Comment

Capybara.

Careful what you throw out on that old Chelsea stuff. The Fairs Cup programmes fetch a very good price. Beware also of any London X1 games played at Stamford Bridge they're very rare and much sought after.

Comment

Sorry to hear about your friend Capybara. I would say to do what Torres suggests and double check what is there. Friendly games (single sheets if any), European matches, postponed games (1962-63 a good one for this), and early League Cup matches are all worth a look, plus anything before the early 1960s.

Due to an impending flat move and a major refurbishment, I have sold/donated a huge amount of Norwich programmes this year, plus old Shoot magazines and various items. The Norwich programmes were mostly a job lot as I didn't have the time to sell them individually, plus progs from the 1970s onwards just don't muster interest.

However, I kept the items that were rare, sentimental, and possibly for research for the book I keep intending to write but never have... So I still have plenty of progs, Panini albums, ticket stubs and books, plus I won't part with my WSC mags because I always go back and read them. Nor the pristine copies of Foul magazine that I found in a charity shop in Manchester during the late 90's. I've only seen the latter on eBay once and they didn't sell for much. They're not going anywhere though.

Comment

Thanks for the good wishes and the suggestions. Firstly there's no question of them being thrown out. That was the reason for hanging on to them in the first place. When I saw the Fairs Cup ones the first thing I checked was if they were London XI. They aren't. The International Club games are against Canto do Rio, CDNA Bulgaria (CSKA Sofia?) and Esporte Clube Bahia. There's also a 'Floodlight Match' against Sparta Prague which looks like it could have been his first game. I don't really want to sell to a dealer. I know a couple of serious Middlesbrough collectors so I'll also speak to them. And I know how hard they look for ones they don't have which is why I'd ideally like them to find their place with collectors. If imp is interested in any then I'd be happy to try and help.

edit: I've checked the Fairs Cup ones again and they are from the 1958-60 competition against 'Frem, Copenhagen' though wiki tells me the game was against a 'Copenhagen XI' and Ville de Belgrade' - a Belgrade XI according to wiki, though the programme also refers to them as Red Star. Similar to Birmingham City appearing as a Birmingham XI presumably.

Comment

Capybara - sorry for your loss.

Chelsea, in common with most other London sides are a collectable club. You've got a collectable era there too, there's much more interest in things like that than in, say, the 1990s. As torres and Artureaux have said, the real value sits in things like Fairs Cup, friendlies, Youth Cup, reserves, early League Cup - one dealer has the 1965 semi v Villa at £40 and the final v Leicester at £75, the return legs are £65 and £250 respectively! There will also be interest in seasonal oddities, eg Tottenham's double year, Ipswich's championship, Leyton Orient's or Northampton's season in the top flight.

Ebay might be your friend for rarities, or just stick individual seasons on as job lots.

Non-league clubs might be interested if they have a programme shop, there's a list midway down this page of clubs who had a shop last season, however bear in mind the size of these could be anything between a small basket in the club house to a hut absolutely full of stuff.

You could stick it all in an auction, a few suggestions would be Sportingold, Sheffield Auction Gallery or Mullocks. (Don't be tempted by Football Sports Auctions - they've ceased trading)

If you're going down the charity route, give them to one of the big national charities (eg Oxfam / BHF / Cancer Research) who would probably stick it in an auction to ensure it got them the best price. If you give it to the local hedgehog hospice the odds are they wouldn't appreciate its worth and would just end up chucking the stuff.

Comment

Thanks for that. It confirms my thoughts regarding Help-a-Hedgehog. It's Oxfam if anything. And I have the Villa and Leicester games. I might be rethinking about not selling!

Comment

I gave some of my Norwich progs to Oxfam, because they do actually sell them in one of the branches here. Otherwise it was a combo of a mate of mine and bulk seasons through eBay that got them off my hands.

I did see a Norwich v Chelsea league game from 1962-63 (that winter again) on sale for £25 but that is way overpriced. I think one went for around £8 though.

Longeared, the most modern day equivalent of the seasonal oddity is going to be Leicester City. I'm sure some of the progs are already going for a little more than their face value (the ones versus my own team are anyway).

Comment

If you have an Oxfam Bookshop near you that would be the kind of place to donate them. They tend to have people who know their stuff checking the items. It helps if you point out the good uns as well.

(Also should have said, sorry about your friend.)

Comment

I've got a collection of old Royston Town programmes from the late 80s/early 90s, when I was going regularly. There are a handful for games against league clubs (or at least teams from said clubs). Probably the pick of the bunch is a Royston vs Watford Herts Senior Challenge Cup game dating to October 1990. The most notable player in the Watford side that day was Tony Meola, who was just a few months on from playing at Italia '90. Other names I recognise in the Watford team are Jason Drysdale, Glenn Roeder, Darren Bazeley and Alex Inglethorpe. Might be worth something, I guess.

Also, on flicking through, I've got a couple of Royston pre-season friendlies against Cambridge and Millwall (I don't recall going to either game, whereas I do remember the Watford one), and some that might be of interest any Stevenage (Borough) completists out there, if there is such a thing; three games in fairly quick succession between the clubs in the FA Cup 1st Qualifying Round, AC Delco Cup Preliminary Round and far and away the most obscure of the lot, Royston Town Youths vs Stevenage Borough Youths in the Eastern Junior Plate Semi-Final. Why the fuck I went to that game, bought a programme and kept it for 26 years, I can't honestly say!

Comment

Patrick Thistle wrote: If you have an Oxfam Bookshop near you that would be the kind of place to donate them. They tend to have people who know their stuff checking the items. It helps if you point out the good uns as well.

(Also should have said, sorry about your friend.)
                                              Ta. I'm in London so Oxfam shouldn't be a problem. Trouble is, every time I look at them I get more attached to them. The trouble with being a hoarder I suppose.

They are all homes. I hadn't even thought about the away teams.

Comment

Capybara wrote: Ta. I'm in London so Oxfam shouldn't be a problem. Trouble is, every time I look at them I get more attached to them.
                                                In that case I would say keep them.

I've passed most of my old Chelsea programmes onto a Chelsea fan at work. The ones from the 90s onwards are shit but the older ones were harder to part with.

However, my son doesn't like football and even though my daughter likes playing it I don't think vintage Chelsea programmes are ever likely to be up her street.

Comment

I'm sorry to hear about your loss, Capybara. I don't collect programmes but I'll jump in with the same comment I share in similar threads: If you don't want to sell (and nobody can begrudge you for doing that), I recommend donating to a football archive/zine library of some kind. The materials then serve a greater good for researchers or fans who want to look at some memorabilia but don't have any interest in buying or collecting. Usually I add a note about the craziness of tossing the materials but that doesn't apply here obviously.

I have no idea about programmes, but maybe a Chelsea museum of some kind could use some of these or a Chelsea-related charity would auction them. Of course, if you aren't a Chelsea fan then you might prefer to help out another charity, but I assume your friend would appreciate helping a Chelsea charity/their museum/archive.

Comment

I went to the Chelsea museum at Stamford Bridge in 2010. I was supposed to go to Craven Cottage the same day, but the game was called off.

I was pleasantly surprised by several aspects of the museum, but one thing I specifically remember is the prominence given to the programme from the game vs Jeunesse Hautcharage, where Chelsea achieved their record win.

If the museum is still there and still as it was, I could see it being a loving home for some of those programmes.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X