Nations League

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nations League

"Third major international tournament due to start in 2018 and become biennial event which replaces friendlies and sparks biggest shake-up in football calendar for years... England will take part in a new Nations League from the 2018-19 season after all 54 of Uefa’s members agreed to back the revolutionary competition at its annual Congress this week," in the Telegraph, here.

Nations League

Intriguing. Naïve response: gotta be better than friendlies, surely?

Comment

Nations League

It sounds like it'd mean European teams would only ever play non-European teams at World Cup Finals.

I could see the appeal of a global nations league, with a Davis Cup style structure, but this seems a bit parochial.

Comment

Nations League

Greg Dyke, the Football Association chairman, reacted enthusiastically this month to the possibility of playing the likes of Germany, Spain and Italy on a regular basis.

He said: “In principle, we’d be quite interested. The hard thing about that is the detail but I think a Nations League where we played the top nations would be very attractive.”
        Not so "attractive" when we get relegated, then.

Comment

Nations League

"When" we get relegated...?

Comment

Nations League

Martin Samuel has strong opinions about this! I'm not going to subject you to the article, and honestly haven't read the fucker myself. I saved my precious time by merely reading what must be one of the most Daily Mail URLs I've ever seen, which telegraphs everything he is going to write:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/article-2589313/Platinis-secret-plan-alienate-England-faithful-plot-change-way-YOU-watch-football-doesnt-care.html

edit: the board wants to turn that into a link apparently (you probably shouldn't click it) - the ellipsed words are "Platinis-secret-plan-alienate-England-faithful-plot-change-way-YOU-watch-football-doesnt-care.html"

Comment

Nations League

It's been unanimously adopted at the UEFA conference and will start in 2018.

Comment

Nations League

I don't get the thing about winners of lower divisions qualifying for the Euros. Doesn't that render their participation in the subsequent Euro qualifiers pointless? You don't really need Latvia or someone just pissing about in a qualifying group, when results against them will matter in terms of which other teams qualify.

Comment

Nations League

No, I'm struggling with that as well. With this relegation and promotion nonsense, it all sounds far too complex to me - and the restriction to European nations will see it clash with the Euros. (Unless there's a plan afoot to phase the Euros out gradually?)

I can see the appeal the big fixtures would have, but I'd prefer the idea of something like the 6 Nations, but with evenly-matched countries.

Comment

Nations League

Perhaps they havent really thought that bit through yet.Or maybe even its something that has been thrown out there to appease the "lower" nations,but will never actually materialise.

I cant see it either.

Comment

Nations League

A straight up FA Cup style 1 leg & result on the night knockout would be what's actually required here.
                      UEFA are welcome to get in touch to find out where to send the cheque in acknowledgement of this.

Comment

Nations League

They're sort of basing it on the Davis Cup aren't they? that seems to be the rough format idea.

Comment

Nations League

They should have it like the similarly named competition in "Sensible World of Soccer" where each team plays every other team in Europe once (randomly drawn home or away) with the usual league rules (3 points for a win, 1 for a draw etc).

I realise that 52 (?) matches would take a while so why not do it over 4 years? Perhaps count Euro qualifying matches and even tournament matches for both?

The top 4 teams could then qualify for a "Champions League" against the top 4 teams from South America, North America, Africa, Oceania and Asia, Perhaps call it the "World Championship" or something and hold it every four years... Hang on a minute...

Comment

Nations League

It just looks like someone has finally got the balls to say "friendlies are a bit shit" and tried to replace them with something else. Best of a bad bunch, if it doesn't work they can change it or go back to adhoc organised friendlies...

Comment

Nations League

Pretend Best Friend wrote: It just looks like someone has finally got the balls to say "friendlies are a bit shit" and tried to replace them with something else. Best of a bad bunch, if it doesn't work they can change it or go back to adhoc organised friendlies...

Comment

Nations League

Actually, getting ad hoc to organise the friendlies isn't a bad idea.

Comment

Nations League

Yes,his enthusiasm for international football is matched only by great taste in cheese...

Comment

Nations League

Is there any actual point in us Welsh supporters reading anything about this?

Comment

Nations League

Jah Wombles six nations idea was the sort of thing I envisaged when the idea was first mooted a while back.
                                      Thirteen or fourteen mini four nation H&A leagues with one promoted and relegated. Played over a two year period it'd still allow for a few friendlies against non-Euro nations.
                                      Qualification for the Euros should be nowt to do with this Nations league.

Comment

Nations League

tratorello wrote: They should have it like the similarly named competition in "Sensible World of Soccer" where each team plays every other team in Europe once (randomly drawn home or away) with the usual league rules (3 points for a win, 1 for a draw etc).

I realise that 52 (?) matches would take a while so why not do it over 4 years? Perhaps count Euro qualifying matches and even tournament matches for both?

The top 4 teams could then qualify for a "Champions League" against the top 4 teams from South America, North America, Africa, Oceania and Asia, Perhaps call it the "World Championship" or something and hold it every four years... Hang on a minute...
                                        Three cheers for Tratorello.
                                        I like your thinking, sir!
                                        I also had Sensible World of Soccer very much in mind regarding all this.
                                        My favourite match in the Classic League format was Crisp Flavours v Dead Rock Stars.

Comment

Well, Trent, Deli, Harry, Jordan and Virgil have to put club allegiances aside for a week now as the world turns its attention to the all-important finals. Does this tournament get its own forum?

Comment

I'd somehow doubt that. After all, it's little more than the European Championships c 1976 and before.

I think that this thread might have to do ya.

Comment

Well there was the massive thread where we did all the group games too.

https://www.onetouchfootball.com/forum/one-touch-football/football/40166-uefa-nations-league?p=2129616#post2129616

Comment

That would be the fella, then.

Comment

Right you are - let's use that one

Comment

Working...
                                                  X