Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Return of Ukrainian Football

Dear all,

I thought i would share Futbolgrad's latest article, which explores the connectedness between the return of the Ukrainian Premier League and Ukraine's post-revolution oligarchy, for those geopolitically discerned.

http://futbolgrad.com/the-uncertain-future-of-the-ukrainian-premier-league/

"Football has often been used as a prism to explain Ukrainian politics, a framework which delineates the boundaries of different economic clans that control the country’s politics. The economic coteries of Dnipropetrovsk, Kharkiv, the Donbas, and Kiev, control the football league and all major clubs. Ukrainian football has often been abused by those in power and used as a battleground to fight over economic influence in certain parts of the country. Now with the uncertainty and the power vacuum left behind by Yanukovich and his clique, Ukrainian football also faces daunting uncertainty."

Kind Regards,
    Vata

Return of Ukrainian Football

Very nice article. Thanks.

Best of luck.

Comment

Well this is lovely. A brief history of early Odessan football starting with the Odessa British Athletic Club, Odessa were disqualified after winning the 1913 national championship for having too many foreign players.

And the article that led me to it, Boris Drayluk writing about his grandfather, a Chornomorets fan and translating a celebratory poem about the Odessans in 1913.

It's nice that Chornomorets have a Tango ball in their badge. Much nicer than a drawing of a lace up or a Telstar. Adidas really have the market sown up for iconic footballs don't they?

Comment

Working...
      X