Hot Dog! Major League Goddam Soccer, 2014

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The start is only two months away, and the whole of DC is literally not talking about the home opener against Columbus on March 8th. March fucking 8th, so there's a decent chance it'll get snowed off, or cancelled due to nobody realizing the season's started. I went to one game last season, and that was on commission. I aim to do better this year, though my loyalty is thin - if DC sucks as spectacularly as they did last year, I'll stick to making cheap shots from the safety of my armchair.

COLOR. HUMOR. SOCCER. [strike]The[/strike] MLS.

I declare this thread blessed.

Comment

TFC are not going to be a shower of shite this season. There, I've said it. And it's actually true.

Comment

Ooooh...Michael Bradley set to join Toronto... so says Twellman and Lalas on twitter...

Comment

DeRo signed. Defoe signed. Replacing Laba with Bradley.

Jesus. H. Christ.

Fuck me.

I need to sit down. And I am sitting down.

Comment

Without a trace of schadenfreude, I can't help feeling that this will not end well.

Comment

Don't place too much hope in DeRo judging by his displays last season. I feel for the pre-season pundits who will have to risk tipping Toronto, all the while knowing the team's capacity to fuck up yet another brave new start. You can just see it - DeRo over the hill, Bradley gets injured and then disappears on World Cup duty, Defoe seems to lack the motivation to play in MLS...

Comment

Come home from minivacation, discover new thread. Sweet.

FC Kansas City is moving to a local university's stadium for the next 2 years and chipping to raise capacity to 3200 seats (which is 1K LESS than the previous home held); the Boston Breakers are going to play at Harvard Stadium again, their WPS home, Houston Dash traded Canadian for Canadian with Chicago, getting Erin McLeod for Melissa Tancredi, and Houston expansion draft is Friday. Choose 10 players, no team can lost more than two, and among the names available are Shannon Boxx, Karina Leblanc, Rachel Buehler, Stephanie Cox, Kelley O'Hara, and Ashlyn Harris. Houston could be real good real quick.

In the NASL, insanity continues. Fort Lauderdale shipped their MVP to San Antonio in exchange for....San Antonio picking up their hotel and bus bills when the Strikers come in both times next year.

Grant Wahl is speculating that the Bradley move might be a 6 month loan. The Toronto Star says that between transfer fees and salaries, TFC is about to drop $100 million.

Comment

The Quakes are set to reveal a new logo at the end of the month, presumably tied in with the extremely odd notion of this somehow being the club's 40th anniversary.

Catch the excitement!

Comment

FC Kansas City are eventually going to have just an enclosed stadium with just four rows of seats on each side to pack it with the most hardcore fans screaming down on the opposing team, aren't they?

Comment

They're moving to avoid having football lines on their field.

Really.

San Jose swaps Martin Chavez for Atiba Harris, pick up Ajaccio's captain for free, and have created a dorky cup competition with LAG to be contested preseason, in Fresno.

Orlando City's owners are going to keep their franchise in the USL when they come up, and are talking about putting it in Louisville.

Atlanta Silverbacks have decided they don't actually need a head coach. Wynalda, as the TD, can run things.

Comment

DeRo is there mostly for morale, as far as I can see. He wouldn't obviously be in the first XI. But still, deRo off the bench could be quite something.

Before the Bradley thing came up, I was working out the numbers and realized even with three DPs we still had about a half-million in cap space to go. There are still a couple of moves to be made, I think.

I don;t see the point of a loan move for Bradley. What's the upside for anyone in that?

Comment

jefe wrote: Come home from minivacation, discover new thread. Sweet.

FC Kansas City is moving to a local university's stadium for the next 2 years and chipping to raise capacity to 3200 seats (which is 1K LESS than the previous home held); the Boston Breakers are going to play at Harvard Stadium again, their WPS home, Houston Dash traded Canadian for Canadian with Chicago, getting Erin McLeod for Melissa Tancredi, and Houston expansion draft is Friday. Choose 10 players, no team can lost more than two, and among the names available are Shannon Boxx, Karina Leblanc, Rachel Buehler, Stephanie Cox, Kelley O'Hara, and Ashlyn Harris. Houston could be real good real quick.
                          They can only take two US allocated players though - so at most three of that list. Plus, having just signed McLeod, neither Harris nor Barnhart are massively appealing prospects unless they want to draft to trade.

KC's new stadiums isn't 1k less than their previous stadium's capacity. It's 1k less than their average attendance last season.

Comment

I feel like I should say something on the 2014 thread (as I'm not sure had one post on the 2013 thread), but all I can come up with is lame jokes about how DC used to have a MLS team, whatever happened to it?

Comment

Why can't FCKC play in Sporting KC's stadium?

Comment

Roma confirm Michael Bradley transfer.

Comment

jefe wrote: San Jose swaps Martin Chavez for Atiba Harris, pick up Ajaccio's captain for free, and have created a dorky cup competition with LAG to be contested preseason, in Fresno.
                                  The Sun Maid Raisin Cup?

Comment

The Central California Cup officially, I believe.

Reserve/minorleague/your term here affiliations continue. TFC grabs Wilmington, Vancouver grabs Charleston, and San Jose and Portland are having gunfights over Sacramento.

New Chivas head coach/scapegoat is Wilmer Cabrera.

A whole bunch of teams signed homegrowns.

Oscar Pareja resigned as Colorado coach, may well be coming back to Dallas to coach them.

The new TV deal might be announced by draft day, and the first reports say NBC out, FOX back in, along with games still on ESPN.

Comment

Are the Quakes really going to go with red, black and blue?

Comment

Reed John wrote: Why can't FCKC play in Sporting KC's stadium?
                                        This has been discussed locally, though not seriously. Honestly, it's not a terrible idea, and FC Kansas City games are a lot like The Wizards games (pre-Sporting Park era), they've actually played some games at Shawnee Mission North HS which is a spot that The Wizards played some US Open Cup games at, (most notably), against the Galaxy with Beckham in tow.

I haven't posted in awhile, but it's nice to hit up this thread as a fan of this year's MLS Champions. FC Kansas City tends to do a lot of events at this place: It's a soccer themed restaurant and actually pretty cool, despite my initial skepticism. I've had breakfast there on a few occasions to watch Premier League, etc. But, all in all, I think the real question here is, will the WPS last. I think it needs to, but we'll just have to see.

Comment

Sorry, here's the link to the place http://www.futbolclubkc.com/

Comment

Pareja is the new Dallas coach; Colorado gets a 2015 draft pick and allocation money for losing him as a more or less transfer fee.

Onyewu signed for Sheffield Wednesday.

Philly is trying to sign a midfielder off of Argentinos Juniors.

Chicago's u16's are going to Qatar to play in a tourney in a couple weeks.

Rumors keep persisting about Xavi showing up in Harrison.

Comment

It wouldn't be too surprising given that they were originally red and are black and blue now.

I mean, sartorially it's likely to be pretty awful; that's never stopped San Jose before.

Comment

Supposedly, 4 teams bid for Michael Bradley, and TFC outbid them. The SporKS were willing to put up $40M worth of transfer fee and salary; Philly and Columbus $15M.

Michael Parkhurst's not so great European adventure concludes upon his return here, to Columbus, in return for sending a draft pick and money to New England for his rights. The Revs also signed Charlie Davies permanently.

Portland is adding another Argentine, this one a defender from Tigre.

Galaxy sign Canadian Rob Friend, mostly of the Bundesliga.

Maurice Edu might be coming back here, as well.

Along with their Argentine winger, Philly are chasing a winger from Sochaux, Vincent Nogueira.

The preseason tournament at Disney is going to be RBNY, TFC, SKC, Philly, Columbus, Montreal, Orlando City, and Fluminense's U-23's.

Abby Wambach lost the women's Ballon D'Or to Nadine Angerer, Germany's keeper, who as of today is now Portland Thorns' keeper. Portland then ships the unneeded Karina LeBlanc to the Chicago Red Stars. Houston swaps expansion pick Danesha Adams for Stephanie Ochs of the Washington Freedom, and sends a draft pick to FCKC for a reserve keeper, Bianca Henninger.

Comment

kickstartkid wrote: But, all in all, I think the real question here is, will the WPS last. I think it needs to, but we'll just have to see.
                                                  Saw an interesting fact on The Equalizer. This is the first time in the history of women's professional football in the US that the league has expanded - i.e. that they've added teams without losing any.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X