Mascots observing minutes silences

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bizarre Löw Triangle wrote: Lofthouse the Lion takes a moment of quiet contemplation

Lofty, please.

Comment

Jimmy Bignutz wrote:
      Originally posted by steveeeeeeeee
      Leishman the Liquidator.
      He looks like he's having a piss.
      So did Emma when he/she stood very close to the Bayern Munich team bus.

According to this report, a Borussia Dortmund spokesperson claimed that "Emma is a very smart, seven-year-old bee who is fully aware that, for sartorial reasons, it is impossible for a bee to relieve themselves standing up and would therefore only have a Number One sitting down."

Comment

This is magnificent stuff. Respect to Bignutz for kicking it off. I have to admit the WHU Hammer looking, er, sheepish wins it for me so far.

Comment

Dave, that's amazing that you designed the Hammer mascot. What an honour, but you must have wondered where your career could go after that.

What I particularly like about that one is that he's looking up and down at the same time, exactly like Princess Diana in that interview.

Comment

I've been looking for a picture of Erzgebirge Aue's mascot Schachtscheisser (He who shits down a mineshaft) living up to his name, but I can't find any.

Comment

Although this incarnation of Herbie the Hammer just looks disturbing.

Comment

gavc23 wrote:
                sammy
                The Dunfermline pic is particularly poignant of course, as Sammy the Tammy has seen action
                Oh God, he's not having a piss here as well is he?

Comment

This thread is my favourite thing, ever. Really. Thank you.
                  The Diana comment in particular.

Comment

Jimmy Bignutz wrote: Dave, that's amazing that you designed the Hammer mascot. What an honour, but you must have wondered where your career could go after that.

What I particularly like about that one is that he's looking up and down at the same time, exactly like Princess Diana in that interview.

Too much to hope that this was during a minute's silence for Princess Diana, I suppose?

I have an image of mascots across the country commemorating her by striking iconic poses from her life, including this one:

Comment

chien_andalusia wrote: Toby Tyke getting in on the act this weekend at Barnsley (0:32 and 0:46):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WduRXG5-iNs
                      Thanks, screen grabbed for all to enjoy. Love the way he stands out in front of the crowd and in between the players and soldiers.

Love the thread. B&HA's Gully is my favourite. The staring eyes. The massive beak.

Comment

I know the bloke who used to be inside the Deepdale Duck, I'm going to have to point him to this thread. I have to stop reading it every four or five posts to breathe.

Comment

That BDG designed that Hammer mascot is just one of the best things ever. It will be responsible for people thinking I am mad today as I smile upon recollection of it.

Comment

Here's the Man Utd one seen up-thread, from a different angle:

Modelling the Public School Housemaster, c. 1950.

Comment

I know the bloke who used to be inside the Deepdale Duck
                              Just when you thought the comedy was stagnating somewhat.

Comment

Every time I see Herbie Hammer, I wish someone would run out on the pitch as Sammy Sickle and chases him down until they re-enact Communist symbolism.

Comment

Over in the Netherlands …

Comment

I wouldn't have thought it possible but to have an official in a shoulder-to-shoulder embrace with a mascot just seems to bring us to a new low.

Comment

Look at all the different colour boots they have. Shambles. If you're all going to wear different colour boots, get the team to line up so they make a rainbow.

Comment

Another one, from an erstwhile OTFer

Comment

Nishlord wrote: Every time I see Herbie Hammer, I wish someone would run out on the pitch as Sammy Sickle and chases him down until they re-enact Communist symbolism.
                                          I expect BDG had mocked up such a scenario.

Comment

Big Daves Gussett wrote: ...permanently looking up, as if surprised and delighted to see a heron land on his garage roof.
                                            A wonderful image of John Shuttleworth-like bathos. Nice one, BDG.

I imagined Herbie The Hammer, about to get into his presumably toolbox-shaped car in the morning, to set off for the home match. However, a movement catches his eye and he glances up and sees a heron or stork on his bungalow roof, twigs in its beak. "Awww... that's nice!", he thinks. Then he gets in the car and his head momentarily drops a little, before he regains his composure and starts the engine. "Must think of the kids & wife. I'm doing it for the kids & wife." The car eases away.

But what are you doing up at 4am, BDG? Not designing more costumes, are you?

Comment

Stumpy Pepys wrote: Over in the Netherlands …

I love this one. The official must be thinking "It's all part of the job. This is what I signed up for."

Comment

Is there a documentary "The Secret Lives Of Football Mascots" or something? I'd like to see one now.

Comment

We all know the Guardian football section all read OTF religiously, I'm pretty sure you've just ensured that 2014 will see the launch of The Secret Mascot.

Comment

evilC wrote:
                                                    Originally posted by Stumpy Pepys
                                                    Over in the Netherlands …

I love this one. The official must be thinking "It's all part of the job. This is what I signed up for."
                                                    Somehow this mascot manages to look legitimately sad - maybe it's just the angle, or maybe they've come up with the foresight to produce replacement heads for different occasions.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X