Celebs In The Crowd

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Celebs In The Crowd

I'm sure we must have done this before, but: well-known people (pref non-football) spotted attending matches as paying punters (pref in regularly standing/seating areas rather than the directors' box or what have you).

Bob Stanley of top pop group St Etienne at Hitchin Town v Stratford Town yesterday.

I've seen Bernard Butler at Haringey Borough a few times. Although the free season tickets could disqualify this on the paying clause.

We were close to Robert Plant at Wolves a few times back in the day but he goes bigwig now, from what I've read.

Comment

Andrew Eldritch at St. Pauli's 0:5 defeat at HSV in 1991. And it was him who came up and spoke to​​ me.

Him: Hast du Feuer?
      Me: Ja.

Yes, correct, he didn't say "thank you".

Comment

Danny Boyle walked past me at a game at Gigg this season.

Comment

Originally posted by treibeis View Post
          Andrew Eldritch at St. Pauli's 0:5 defeat at HSV in 1991. And it was him who came up and spoke to​​ me.
          And to think that you almost hadn't bothered to crimp your hair that morning!

Comment

David 'Bumble' Lloyd is spotted fairly regularly at York games (due to his wife being a local and a fan). I've not seen him recently, as I believe he goes in the East Stand at the new place (I'm in the West), but at Bootham Crescent he often used to stand in our regular corner of the Shippo.

Funnily enough I've never seen Richard Herring at a City match.

Comment

Jens Rachut, the frontman of, among others, "Angeschissen", "Blumen am Arsch der Hölle", "Dackelblut", "Oma Hans" and "Alte Sau", at several Altona 93 home games.

(He's not that well known, but he ought to be.)

Comment

Leatherface frontman Frankie Stubbs, at a St. Pauli reserve game.

Comment

Originally posted by Benjm View Post
                  I've seen Bernard Butler at Haringey Borough a few times. Although the free season tickets could disqualify this on the paying clause.

We were close to Robert Plant at Wolves a few times back in the day but he goes bigwig now, from what I've read.
                  My friend's parents have a season ticket right by plant at the molineux and you often see them when the cameras picks him out in the crowd. I've seen Plant at Stourbridge FC games too.

Comment

Ken Loach is always at Bath City matches. Never seen Russel Howard nor Bill Bailey there who are both supposed to have visited. Famously, Cerys Matthews went there on her wedding day as her husband is a Luton supporter who we were playing that day

Comment

Originally posted by treibeis View Post

Him: Hast du Feuer?
                      Me: Ja.

Yes, correct, he didn't say "thank you".
                      Maybe he would have thanked you if you had actually given him a light instead of merely confirming you had one.

Comment

There was a regular at Teutonia 05 home games about 15-20 years ago who I reckon was James Last. I could, and should, have asked him whether he was, but I never did.

At about the same time, there was a bloke sat on his own at a HSV home game gainst Kaiserslautern who was almost definitely Armin Mueller-Stahl.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon View Post

My friend's parents have a season ticket right by plant at the molineux and you often see them when the cameras picks him out in the crowd. I've seen Plant at Stourbridge FC games too.
                          He didn't stand out from the pack as much as one might imagine in the rock-tastic West Mids of the late '70s/early '80s.

I withdraw any erroneous implication that RP may have been availing himself of the directors' buffet in recent years.

Comment

Hugh Pym was sat in the Boro end at QPR in about 2009 or 2010. It has never been satisfactorily explained but apparently he's a Swindon Town supporter.

Comment

Bob Stanley is a groundhopper of sorts, particularly on the home counties non league scene: I've clocked him at Berkhamsted FC before.

Comment

Originally posted by Benjm View Post

He didn't stand out from the pack as much as one might imagine in the rock-tastic West Mids of the late '70s/early '80s.

I withdraw any erroneous implication that RP may have been availing himself of the directors' buffet in recent years.
                                I think he is on the board so no doubt you are correct, Ben. He was also picked out at the hawthorns a fortnight ago, during the ill-fated local derby.

Talking of the rock-tastic west mids 70s, I have a west brom programme sponsored by John Bonham "of the Led Zeppelin group." Slade, despite their image and fanbase, were not football fans at all.

I've only Lenny Henry at the hawthorns once, with a camera crew in tow, documenting his early years, I think he did go back in the 70s though.

Comment

I went to see Sir Lenworth's monologue play August In England last year and August's son is on the books in West Brom's youth set up at one point.

Comment

Originally posted by Auntie Beryl View Post
                                    Bob Stanley is a groundhopper of sorts, particularly on the home counties non league scene: I've clocked him at Berkhamsted FC before.
                                    I can well believe it and Berko would have been second choice if we hadn't gone to Hitchin yesterday.

Comment

Originally posted by Furtho View Post
                                      I'm sure we must have done this before, but: well-known people (pref non-football) spotted attending matches as paying punters (pref in regularly standing/seating areas rather than the directors' box or what have you).

Bob Stanley of top pop group St Etienne at Hitchin Town v Stratford Town yesterday.
                                      I've seen Bob Stanley at Guiseley, Silsden and Campion

Comment

He lives in Saltaire I believe, so also a regular on the Bradford/Leeds non league scene

Comment

Originally posted by Tapiocahead View Post
                                          He lives in Saltaire I believe, so also a regular on the Bradford/Leeds non league scene
                                          I believe that to be the case, yes.

Comment

A highbrow/lowbrow mix for me - I've sat near darts player Kevin 'The Artist' Painter at Ipswich Town and queued behind BBC arts presenter Mark Lawson for a programme at Northampton Town.

Comment

I sat a few rows behind the actor Daniel Mays at Orient on one occasion. He is actually a fan, having grown up in nearby Buckhurst Hill.

Comment

Former Yorkshire and England wicketkeeper Richard Blakey at Maltby Main once - his son was playing for the opposition.

Many years ago I saw Eddie Large outside Hillsborough before Wednesday v Man City, no idea where he watched the match from though.

Comment

We got the train from Brighton to Lewes for a match with Mark Williams out the Fast Show and Harry Potter once. He was taking his daughter. I think he lives near Lewes but his partner owned a shop on Trafalgar Street, near Brighton station (the plate painting shop, for those familiar with the area - I took my niece there once when she was little and she almost laid an egg when Arthur Weasley walked in - this was in the pre-JK Rowling is a thunderprick years). We were sitting in an empty carriage waiting for the train to depart and he just sat down on the seats opposite us and said, "Alroight lads, off to the match?" (there were four of us, with cans), then gestured at his little girl and said, "Just indoctrinating her with football while she's still young". Really good company. Very chatty.

Continuing the theme, you'd see Patrick Marber round the Dripping Pan quite a bit too; the last time I saw him there he was hassling people in the bar after a match to make up the numbers fill a minibus with supporters for some away match or other. (I think he was on the board there for a while, but I'm allowing an exclusion because it's a fan owned club.)

Comment

Working...
                                                  X