Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Celebs In The Crowd

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #51
    Originally posted by George C. View Post
    Seen Rory McGrath in the vicinity of the Arse, after a game, plus Alan Davis too.
    And less of a 'celeb', but Martin Keown, on the tube.

    He appears quite small in real life...

    Yeah, I was going to mention that I've seen Alan Davies trying to sneak into an Arsenal game unnoticed and Statto after one.

    Comment


      #52
      Originally posted by JoeysToe View Post
      Henning Wehn is a regular at Hastings United. I didn't much like his interview with a fans podcast where he basically said he'd moved from Margate because it was a shithole and then equated that with the number of Polski Skleps (I know that's not the correct pluralisation but don't know what is!)
      Yeah, that's actually a bit more dodge than an english person saying it. Would have thought Henning Wehn would be alive to such things, but maybe not, ah well.

      bit like when in Berlin during the 2006 world cup, a load of german fans pouring off the metro after beating Poland 1-0 chanting rot und weisse- scheisse! And I'm like, yeah, not sure I'm down with this lads
      Last edited by Nesta; 11-02-2024, 23:38.

      Comment


        #53
        So obviously i gave the hardest looking one a slap, told them why they were out of order (in flawless idiomatic german), and was then the whole station burst into applause and I was chaired away in triumph
        Last edited by Nesta; 11-02-2024, 23:50.

        Comment


          #54
          Fashion designer Karl Lagerfeld was a major Fulham fan. Attended all the matches he could home and away, even when they were down in div 4. Apparently he supported them from afar even when he was a kid in Hamburg. He liked that they wore a plain black and white kit (which figures when you saw his own gear!) To most of the guys on the terrace he was just "German Karl," they had no idea he was famous.
          Last edited by Amor de Cosmos; 12-02-2024, 00:08.

          Comment


            #55
            Sat behind Ricky Ross (Deacon Blue) at a 90s European game against Tatran Prešov

            Comment


              #56
              Originally posted by Bored Of Education View Post

              I am from South Wales and have no commonality with any of them (aside from the previously mentioned “Cerys Matthews at Twerton Park” thing which doesn’t count)
              Sorry to hear that.

              (I was speaking more generally, tbh.)

              Comment


                #57
                I once went to a midweek Lewes game and saw Patrick Marber, then Ken Loach came over to see me (because Bath were the visitors) and then saw one of the guys from Drop the Dead Donkey. That was a good night,

                Marber was one of the five local people who bought the club in 2010 by paying their tax bill off and made it fan owned as a result. He was on the Board for a bit, then stepped away. He wrote a play about a non-league club a few years ago, and as luck would have it, my friend works at the National Theatre got me into the green room, and Marber was there rehearsing another play he'd written, and said that it was built on his anger at the petty corruption in non-league football, and credited the anger for getting him past the writer's block that had affected him for some years.

                Comment


                  #58
                  Originally posted by Bored Of Education View Post
                  Ken Loach is always at Bath City matches. Never seen Russel Howard nor Bill Bailey there who are both supposed to have visited. Famously, Cerys Matthews went there on her wedding day as her husband is a Luton supporter who we were playing that day
                  Cerys is a fully signed up Luton fan herself these days, her and her rather less famous husband (Steve Abbott of UK Decay) are at most games.

                  Current Luton director and former Sony Music Chairman Rob Stringer used to have a couple of season tickets near me in the 1990s and used to bring along various music artists including James Dean Bradfield quite regularly. Stephen Malkmus wears a Luton shirt in the Cut Your Hair video and Scott Kannberg wears one when they play the same song on the Tonight Show so I would guess Pavement went along with him at one point just before that was released although the 11 year old me would never have recognised them in 1994.

                  Alistair Cook is at Kenilworth Road fairly regularly these days and actor Colin Salmon is often there. I've seen poet John Hegley standing in the same spot with a cup of tea at every game for years and comedian & children's author Olaf Falafel is a season ticket holder and often in the pub before the game.

                  Comment


                    #59
                    Originally posted by NHH View Post
                    I once went to a midweek Lewes game and saw Patrick Marber, then Ken Loach came over to see me (because Bath were the visitors) and then saw one of the guys from Drop the Dead Donkey. That was a good night,

                    Marber was one of the five local people who bought the club in 2010 by paying their tax bill off and made it fan owned as a result. He was on the Board for a bit, then stepped away. He wrote a play about a non-league club a few years ago, and as luck would have it, my friend works at the National Theatre got me into the green room, and Marber was there rehearsing another play he'd written, and said that it was built on his anger at the petty corruption in non-league football, and credited the anger for getting him past the writer's block that had affected him for some years.
                    Was the Drop The Dead Donkey guy Neil Pearson? Because I think I saw him at Lewes one Non League Day. And Jonathan Pearce, now I come to think of it.

                    Comment


                      #60
                      (The thing I'd say about Pearce is that he looked like a total scruff when I saw him there, like he'd jumped out of bed, dragged himself through a hedge backwards, and then gone straight up the Pan. I dunno, perhaps because he works for the BBC I was just expecting him to wear a shirt and tie at all times.)

                      Comment


                        #61
                        Originally posted by Voidoid View Post

                        Cerys is a fully signed up Luton fan herself these days, her and her rather less famous husband (Steve Abbott of UK Decay) are at most games.

                        Current Luton director and former Sony Music Chairman Rob Stringer used to have a couple of season tickets near me in the 1990s and used to bring along various music artists including James Dean Bradfield quite regularly. Stephen Malkmus wears a Luton shirt in the Cut Your Hair video and Scott Kannberg wears one when they play the same song on the Tonight Show so I would guess Pavement went along with him at one point just before that was released although the 11 year old me would never have recognised them in 1994.
                        Abbott would have been the one who got Pavement in to Luton as he managed them at one point. He actually brought a few members to the Cardiff v Luton 1994 FA Cup game and was foolhardy enough to take them on the away end without realising how lairy it would get,

                        Stringer upgraded to having his own box for many many seasons though that would have gone by now as it was in that stand that was solely composed of them which I believe has now been knocked down for the PL upgrade. He's still very much the CEO of Sony Music, btw.
                        Last edited by Ray de Galles; 12-02-2024, 15:51.

                        Comment


                          #62
                          Timmy Mallet - mentioned just on another thread - is a fairly well known regular at Oxford games although I've never registered him. I did once see Jeremy Paxman and, presumably, his son getting out of their car and heading into the ground on a match day.

                          Comment


                            #63
                            Saw John Healey MP, flat cap and all, at Millmoor back in the day. Never spotted William Hague there, despite reports of him being a die-hard ultra during that period when he was Tory leader and they were attempting to beef up his image with tales of his alleged drink-driving and fondness for the footy.
                            Former Rother Valley MP (and supporter of Owen Smith's failed leadership challenge) Sir Kevin Barron always sponsors a player and is an apparent long-term season ticket holder, although I'm presuming he sits up in t'posh seats as I've never seen him in person at the NYS. There's the surviving Chuckle Brother and Howard Webb who both get spotted occasionally, although I don't think anyone's seen the bassist from Muse (from the town, a fan apparently) in attendance at any point.

                            Comment


                              #64
                              Originally posted by Nesta View Post

                              Yeah, that's actually a bit more dodge than an english person saying it. Would have thought Henning Wehn would be alive to such things, but maybe not, ah well.

                              bit like when in Berlin during the 2006 world cup, a load of german fans pouring off the metro after beating Poland 1-0 chanting rot und weisse- scheisse! And I'm like, yeah, not sure I'm down with this lads
                              As a long term Sunderland fan I’m not down with it either but they’re not wrong.

                              Comment


                                #65
                                Following Sunderland I’ve seen Steve Cram home and away countless times. Dave Stewart with kids in tow at the SOL. Tim Rice at the SOL. Frank Bruno in the away end at Highbury in the company of his Sunlun fanatic agent and there’s not much leg room there Harry. George Clark the TV show architect-design feller both home and away in the cheap seats with his kids. Melanie Hill the actress former wife of Sean Bean in the cheap seats. Tasmin Archer whose ex husband was a fan until he got disillusioned but she kept going even after they divorced but I’ve only seen her at home games. Kate Adie who went to the same school as Dave Stewart as has been a regular all her life since being a kid in the Roker days. Frankie Letherface. Frankie Heartstring. Don thingy who plays keyboards in Deep Purple who sometimes solos with Wise Men Say*. The Dunn brothers from former Kitchenware recording artistes The Daintees stood right next to us in the Roker End in the early-mid 80s.

                                My Mrs met Robert Plant in the boardroom at Molyneaux and it took her ages to realise who he was. Her mate gets invited in a couple of times a season and her plus one dropped out the night before so she rang her up.







                                * I know.
                                Last edited by Sunderporinostesta; 12-02-2024, 19:18.

                                Comment


                                  #66
                                  Originally posted by Amor de Cosmos View Post
                                  Fashion designer Karl Lagerfeld was a major Fulham fan. Attended all the matches he could home and away, even when they were down in div 4. Apparently he supported them from afar even when he was a kid in Hamburg. He liked that they wore a plain black and white kit (which figures when you saw his own gear!) To most of the guys on the terrace he was just "German Karl," they had no idea he was famous.
                                  You had me until "German Karl".

                                  Comment


                                    #67
                                    Originally posted by Sunderporinostesta View Post
                                    Following Sunderland I’ve seen Steve Cram home and away countless times. Dave Stewart with kids in tow at the SOL. Tim Rice at the SOL. Frank Bruno in the away end at Highbury in the company of his Sunlun fanatic agent and there’s not much leg room there Harry. George Martin the TV show architect-design feller both home and away in the cheap seats with his kids. Melanie Hill the actress former wife of Sean Bean in the cheap seats. Tasmin Archer whose ex husband was a fan until he got disillusioned but she kept going even after they divorced but I’ve only seen her at home games. Kate Adie who went to the same school as Dave Stewart as has been a regular all her life since being a kid in the Roker days. Frankie Letherface. Frankie Heartstring. Don thingy who plays keyboards in Deep Purple who sometimes solos with Wise Men Say*. The Dunn brothers from former Kitchenware recording artistes The Daintees stood right next to us in the Roker End in the early-mid 80s.



                                    * I know.
                                    If you know D. & R., Twins in your London branch. aka, `The Dole Claimers'/ 'Ugly Beat', attended a few games with them, over the years...

                                    Comment


                                      #68
                                      Originally posted by George C. View Post

                                      If you know D. & R., Twins in your London branch. aka, `The Dole Claimers'/ 'Ugly Beat', attended a few games with them, over the years...
                                      Not seen them for years. Mind I’ve not been a London branch member since the Reidy era. A ST and away travel at a club 270 miles away doesn’t half sycon your bank account. They were bloody murder those two after away games with drink in them wanting everyone to sing along.

                                      Comment


                                        #69
                                        Originally posted by San Bernardhinault View Post
                                        Timmy Mallet - mentioned just on another thread - is a fairly well known regular at Oxford games although I've never registered him. I did once see Jeremy Paxman and, presumably, his son getting out of their car and heading into the ground on a match day.
                                        Mallett is also a regular at Maidenhead (I presume he lives nearby) and when they met Oxford in the Cup recently there were references to it being The Timmy Mallett Derby.

                                        Comment


                                          #70
                                          Originally posted by My Name Is Ian View Post

                                          Was the Drop The Dead Donkey guy Neil Pearson? Because I think I saw him at Lewes one Non League Day. And Jonathan Pearce, now I come to think of it.
                                          That's the fella!

                                          Comment


                                            #71
                                            Originally posted by Felicity, I guess so View Post
                                            Sat behind Ricky Ross (Deacon Blue) at a 90s European game against Tatran Prešov
                                            Less glamorously all round, I sat behind Lee Brennan (911) at Brentford v Carlisle (I was with someone who knew him from school).

                                            Helen Skelton is our current most likely celeb spot at Carlisle, although she only makes occasional games. It used to be Roxanne Pallet.

                                            ​​​​​​It's like Hollywood round here, I tell ya.

                                            Comment


                                              #72
                                              Vernon Kay attends a few games each year. Not seen Amir Khan since our Premier League days. I walked past Wednesday fan John McClure (Reverend and the Makers), leaving Hillsborough a couple of seasons back.

                                              Comment


                                                #73
                                                Originally posted by Walt Flanagans Dog View Post

                                                Less glamorously all round, I sat behind Lee Brennan (911) at Brentford v Carlisle (I was with someone who knew him from school).

                                                Helen Skelton is our current most likely celeb spot at Carlisle, although she only makes occasional games. It used to be Roxanne Pallet.

                                                ​​​​​​It's like Hollywood round here, I tell ya.
                                                I was going to nominate author and WSC columnist/podcaster Harry Pearson as an occasional visitor too.

                                                Comment


                                                  #74
                                                  Originally posted by Amor de Cosmos View Post
                                                  Fashion designer Karl Lagerfeld was a major Fulham fan. Attended all the matches he could home and away, even when they were down in div 4. Apparently he supported them from afar even when he was a kid in Hamburg. He liked that they wore a plain black and white kit (which figures when you saw his own gear!) To most of the guys on the terrace he was just "German Karl," they had no idea he was famous.

                                                  "Karl was at the game yesterday."

                                                  "Big fan?"

                                                  "Fuckin' enormous - the bloke sitting behind him could hardly see the pitch!"

                                                  Comment


                                                    #75
                                                    I'm sure I've mentioned this on another thread about Internationals, but when I was at Hampden for Scotland v Ukraine in a Euro 2008 qualifier (I think it was in October 2007), sitting two rows behind me was Rod Stewart. I didn't find him very sexy.

                                                    Comment

                                                    Working...
                                                    X