No announcement yet.

Celebs In The Crowd

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Irvine Welsh was a regular in Dalymount Park when he lived in Dublin, and you can regularly see Fine Gael minister Paschal Donohoe and former Labour Party minister Joe Costello at games.

Of non Bohemians fans, I've seen OMD front man Andy Mc Cluskey and Ardal O'Hanlon in the bar after games, and my mate once excitedly ran over to say hello to BBC DJs Mark Lamacq and Annie Mac, neither of whom I knew from Adam.
    Last edited by elguapo4; 11-02-2024, 14:04.

Comment

John Clegg ("La-De-Dah" Gunner Graham) drinking in the pub before the Ipswich v Charlton play-off game in 1998. He was talking about the game to Melvyn Hayes on one of those new fangled mobile phones.

Comment

Not sure about ‘celebrities’, but (as mentioned previously) I used to see Miki Berenyi and Chris Acland (RIP) of shoegaze pop combo Lush now and again at White Hart Lane. You couldn’t really miss Miki.

Originally posted by elguapo4 View Post
        …my mate once excitedly ran over to say hello to BBC DJs Mark Lamacq and Annie Mac, neither of whom I knew from Adam.
        Was he sure it wasn’t Steve Lamarr? (Apologies.)

Comment

Doh!

Comment

Originally posted by Benjm View Post
            I've seen Bernard Butler at Haringey Borough a few times. Although the free season tickets could disqualify this on the paying clause.

We were close to Robert Plant at Wolves a few times back in the day but he goes bigwig now, from what I've read.
            Plant still drinks at pub on Chapel Ash pre games

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post
              Not sure about ‘celebrities’, but (as mentioned previously) I used to see Miki Berenyi and Chris Acland (RIP) of shoegaze pop combo Lush now and again at White Hart Lane. You couldn’t really miss Miki.
              Must be something about shoegazing and Spurs – Ride bassist Steve Querault is a regular, possibly season ticket holder given he always posts photos on Instagram from the same place in the ground.

Comment

At Bangor matches I've seen, or spoken to, Cian from the Super Furry Animals, Mark Steel, Ray Stubbs, Attila the Stockbroker and Wyre Davies, Sion from the group Anrhefn is also one of our fans.

Comment

Johnny Marr had a regular seat at the Etihad Stadium on the row in front of me the last time I had a season ticket there which was maybe 2006/07.

Comment

Originally posted by Tony C View Post
                    Johnny Marr had a regular seat at the Etihad Stadium on the row in front of me the last time I had a season ticket there which was maybe 2006/07.
                    You'll know then, Tony. Is it a wig? That's a wig, isn't it? No way his hair actually looks like that.

Comment

Originally posted by Tapiocahead View Post

I've seen Bob Stanley at Guiseley, Silsden and Campion
                      I can't help but hear that in Lyle Lanley's voice.

Comment

Originally posted by Jobi1 View Post
                        Must be something about shoegazing and Spurs – Ride bassist Steve Querault is a regular, possibly season ticket holder given he always posts photos on Instagram from the same place in the ground.
                        Well, maybe - I also (briefly) sang with a shoegaze-ish band called Mousetrap during the nineties, but no one had really heard of us, so that probably doesn’t quite count. Perhaps one or two of Chapterhouse or Slowdive were among the WHL faithful, who knows? (More likely they were all Reading fans.)

Comment

Originally posted by EIM View Post

You'll know then, Tony. Is it a wig? That's a wig, isn't it? No way his hair actually looks like that.
                          Difficult to say. He was only in his forties then so his dark hair wasn’t an issue. If it’s still like that now he’s 60+ with not a hint of grey then it’s a bit suspicious.

Comment

“He lives in Saltaire I believe, so also a regular on the Bradford/Leeds non league scene”

Salltaire’s lovely. I assume he lives in the main part.

I saw Mark Williams backstage at Reading with a spliff

Comment

Does Nigel Blackwell still go to Tranmere games?

Comment

In his quiet years (post-Blobby, pre-rabbit hole), Noel Edmonds was seen on the terraces of Exeter's Big Bank at least once, not with VIPs and by all accounts happy to be anonymous.

Comment

Originally posted by treibeis View Post
                                  Andrew Eldritch at St. Pauli's 0:5 defeat at HSV in 1991. And it was him who came up and spoke to​​ me.

Him: Hast du Feuer?
                                  Me: Ja.

Yes, correct, he didn't say "thank you".
                                  He let you dutzen. That is enough.

Comment

Henning Wehn is a regular at Hastings United. I didn't much like his interview with a fans podcast where he basically said he'd moved from Margate because it was a shithole and then equated that with the number of Polski Skleps (I know that's not the correct pluralisation but don't know what is!)

Comment

Gruff Rhys is often been within a few seats of us at Wales home games, and as I'm mates with his mates, Elis James has regularly been not far away at Wales away matches.

In the Doncaster end at Birmingham City 15 years ago I was sat behind Jamelia, and just along from (at that point Hollyoaks) actress Emma Rigby, as both were supporting their then spouses. Not the boastiest of celeb-spots I know, but it did give rise to the Rovers fans chanting "It's just like watching T4".

Comment

I've seen Oliver Holt attending as a regular fan, I stood next to him at Brackley in our National League North days.

Famously (in a very parochial way) Len Battersby from Coronation Street was supporting City from the home areas of Edgeley Park, the camera cuts to him looking shellshocked on the front row of the Cheadle End each time we score, at 3-0 down he shakes his head and walks out.

Comment

Originally posted by Uros Predic View Post
                                          Gruff Rhys is often been within a few seats of us at Wales home games, and as I'm mates with his mates, Elis James has regularly been not far away at Wales away matches.
                                          If one has any connection with South Wales whatsoever, then it’s only a matter of time before one finds commonality. Gruff used to flatshare with my ex (also the mother of my elder daughter) and regularly used to sling SFA tickets and CDs our way. Top guy. Euros Childs and Cerys Matthews were occasional visitors.

Whether they all went to the football with him I’ve no clue.

Comment

Yes, I shared a house with a girl who'd gone out with Euros Childs. I also shared a house with some girls who went on to flat share with Disco Child Ballads to emphasise the point. I also lived in a house previously occupied by Helen Love. I have never seen anyone famous in my rare trips to football grounds though.

Comment

Yeah, quite a few actually.

So at or in the vicinity of Chelsea games:

Dickie Attenborough (RIP)

Tony Banks (RIP)

David Mellor

Alan McGee

David Baddiel

Suggs

Paul Cook

Johnny Vaughan

Damon Albarn

Dave Rowntree

Alec Stewart

John Inverdale

Sam Curran (possibly)

Neil Pearson (following Spurs)

Matthew Taylor (following West Brom)

Seb Coe

Peter Hain

Stephen Merchant

Jeremy Vine

Ben Brown

John Kampfner

Clive Mantle

Tiger Woods, Will Ferrell & John C. Reilly (admittedly all just dots in the distance)

Tony Blair (pressing the flesh outside the stadium before the '97 GE)

Alistair Campbell (see above)

Sean Lock (RIP)

Tommy Walsh (a Gooner so I've no idea what he was doing in the MHL)

There'll be more.

Comment

Sadly her disguises are too good for me:

Screen beauty Renee Zellweger is such a huge fan of Chelsea soccer club, she can often be spotted cheering them on at their Stamford Bridge stadium when she stays in London.

(She) fell in love with the team financed by Russian billionaire Roman Abramovich while filming Bridget Jones: The Edge Of Reason in the British capital, and frequently disguised herself so she could enjoy matches in peace.

She explained: "I'm a Chelsea fan. I got into them when I lived near the ground.

"I've been to quite a few games but no one recognised me, I'm quite good at hiding."

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post
                                                  If one has any connection with South Wales whatsoever, then it’s only a matter of time before one finds commonality. Gruff used to flatshare with my ex (also the mother of my elder daughter) and regularly used to sling SFA tickets and CDs our way. Top guy. Euros Childs and Cerys Matthews were occasional visitors.

Whether they all went to the football with him I’ve no clue.
                                                  I am from South Wales and have no commonality with any of them (aside from the previously mentioned “Cerys Matthews at Twerton Park” thing which doesn’t count)

Comment

Seen Rory McGrath in the vicinity of the Arse, after a game, plus Alan Davis too.
                                                    And less of a 'celeb', but Martin Keown, on the tube.

He appears quite small in real life...

Comment

Working...
                                                    X