DELANEY OUT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DELANEY OUT

I didn't think Georgia were very good at all. If Ireland had more about them as an attacking unit, they'd have had that won after half an hour. That whole lone striker thing didn't work at all, when said lone strikers were either never given the ball or never likely or able to go looking for it.

What's the deal with coaches forever overlooking Hoolahan? I know he's a non-goal-celebrating-against-former-clubs dickhead in some respects but he does have creative talent.

Comment

DELANEY OUT

Also in the sindo

Comment

DELANEY OUT

That was awful. What's with the Indo's sudden love affair with Delaney?

I used to work on the student newspaper with Niamh Horan in UCD. Well, when I say work, I wrote for the same paper as she did. Would like to say I have some great anecdotes about that, but I don't think I ever actually spoke to her. I have a feeling I didn't miss much...

Comment

DELANEY OUT

I take it she didn't cover the rugby then ...

Comment

DELANEY OUT

Funnily enough, no.

I was in charge of the sports page for a bit. It being UCD there was no shortage of people willing to cover the rugby, unlike every single other sport where I often had to feign expertise. I'd have happily assigned her the prestigious handball beat but she was generally too busy with the arts supplement.

Comment

DELANEY OUT

john delaney is denis o'brien's creature. Not only does he pay most of the salary of the managers, but o'brien and desmond bought the FAI's debt at a substantial discount and have been good enough to pass on some of that discount to the FAI.

Comment

DELANEY OUT

Of all the Irish posters on here, I was probably the last to lose patience with Trap. Probably because I was certain that a new manager would still be playing Glen Whelan and Stephen Ward, still playing our less-mobile forwards in wide position, and still believing that Robbie "he'll get you a goal" Keane is worth his place up front.

The more things change, and all that.

Comment

DELANEY OUT

The biggest difference, however, was that McGeady had license to come inside and create things on the edge of the box. In the Trap days it was ball out wide, cross to Robbie.

There was a moment, just before he scored, when McGeady did a great move dribbling past a couple of players and created a clear shot on goal for himself, but lashed at it and hit it high and over. Robbie Keane, who was elevated to a position of godlike creature by Trap, started shouting at McGeady and giving him a hard time. McGeady didn't even turn around to acknowledge Keane. Keane went off, and McGeady scored, from a very central position that he would never be allowed to stray into by Trap.

That is the one positive thing I can take from that match; that the players are aren't as straight-jacketed as under Trap. McGeady wasn't afraid to try something and fail, and then try again and score.

Comment

DELANEY OUT

Not as straight-jacketed for sure, but every bit as lacking in ability.

I've tried hard not to resort to the "we don't have the players" line of argument. It's defeatist, and it absolves players and management of responsibility for poor performances and results. It's not delusional to aim high and believe good results against good sides is possible. But I see the poor touches and poor decision-making by the players under another manger and wonder what difference can a manager really make when the players at his disposal seem to be lacking in the basics.

Comment

DELANEY OUT

Antonio Pulisao wrote: here was a moment, just before he scored, when McGeady did a great move dribbling past a couple of players and created a clear shot on goal for himself, but lashed at it and hit it high and over. Robbie Keane, who was elevated to a position of godlike creature by Trap, started shouting at McGeady and giving him a hard time. McGeady didn't even turn around to acknowledge Keane. Keane went off, and McGeady scored, from a very central position that he would never be allowed to stray into by Trap.
                      I copped that. I reckoned it was another trick that Robbie Keane does for the cameras - when a player wastes a chance he throws the arms up to let everyone know that he was in a better position and should have been passed to, despite the fact that in most of these occasions he was neither in a better position nor in one where a pass was likely to reach him.

It also reminded me of a moment in the play-off away to Estonia - Ireland were leading and with a man extra, but struggling to impose this advantage upon the Estonians. During a stoppage, Keane drifted over to where he knew the camera was focused and started shouting and gesticulating at team-mates about "fucking passing the ball". The RTE boys lapped it up, as Keane's sentiments were absolutely correct. The fact that Keane was the biggest culprit in our inability to keep the ball wasn't mentioned, of course.

Comment

DELANEY OUT

Yep, as I mentioned in another thread, Ireland lost at home against Sweden because their striker captain has outgrown goal hanging and has matured into an all round forward player who does a lot of actual "fucking passing the ball."

Comment

DELANEY OUT

Keane should have jacked it in after Euro 2012 at the latest. I've a feeling the decision will be made for him soon enough anyway.

McGeady's overall performance over the 90 minutes wasn't up to much, but he still won the game singlehandedly. If he comes up with a good few more moments like that in this group I'll change my overall opinion of him.

Still, after watching Germany-Scotland it's hard to be optimistic. Scotland repeatedly took the initiative, used their heads and carved out clear chances against the best team in the world. They still have loads of weaknesses but they're currently streets ahead of us. I kept musing to myself about the effectively zero likelihood of Ireland giving a performance even vaguely as good as that against Germany, in Germany.

It'll be between us and the Poles for third place, and we don't have a Lewandowski, even though he only ever looks half-interested in a Poland shirt at best. We don't even have a Blaszczykowski.

Comment

http://twitter.com/JohnBurnsST/status/1107041606450978817

Comment

It turns out that the story in question was about Delaney writing the FAI a cheque for €100,000 to help with cash flow problems, and got paid the money back. They asked him about it, and he didn't respond for 15 days, and then the night before they were going to go to print, he turns up in the high court looking for an emergency injunction to block the story. The Judge looks at it, and decides that he waited 15 days before thinking it was an emergency, so this was all on very shaky ground. Then he said that the only way that they could have got the information was from his divorce proceedings which are supposed to be in camera. The Judge essentially decides that where the info comes from is less important than a newspaper printing a story in the public interest. So no Injunction for John D.

The other thing is that it was revealed the other week that he got paid €160k by UEFA for his job there, which sees him as one of Europe's top men when it comes to youth football, and amateur football. (Sweet fucking baby jesus) it turns out that he's donated that money to the FAI. Which only really adds to the overall impression that they must be fucked beyond belief. Because he's got a divorce, and a midlife crisis to support. But on top of that it was revealed a little while back that the FAI draws down large amounts of state money allocated to it, before it is even allocated. What the fucking fuck is going on over there? Why are they so short of cash that they can't get an overdraft? They're the fucking FAI. Why are they going around to any rich man they can find to borrow cash? And how come the person they know who has a load of spare cash lying around is the Chief Executive, whose only source of income is the FAI.

On a side issue, has anyone ever seen John Delandy and Michael Cohen in the same room together?

Comment

The expression on his face smacks of "that money was just resting in my account"

Comment

This reeks, stinks, it's positively beelin. I'd say the judge agrees by the ruling. Where the hell is the money going, and how does Honest Delaney have the means to bail the cunts out?

Folk that really care must want to set fire to every cunt on the board. It's like the FAI only exist to make the SFA look reasonable and competent. Colm McGregor meets 90s Dunphy Uptown would be less full of Nosebag Power Corruption and Lies than this blazer/disorganised crime shower. If yr cooking the books at least make things look more kosher for a superficial glance.

Comment

He's going. Apparemtly there's going to be all sorts in the papers tomorrow

Comment

Will he get to keep his cushy number at UEFA, or is that job dependent on him being in the FAI?

Comment

Originally posted by The Awesome Berbaslug!!! View Post
                                        He's going. Apparemtly there's going to be all sorts in the papers tomorrow
                                        Lovely. Wonder if he has an appointed successor who will ensure the bodies stay buried.

Comment

He wouldn't be going unless he had somewhere else to go, probably has his plane tickets to Switzerland bought (by the F.A.I) already.

Comment

Might be a job for Mother Theresa if he wants it

Comment

Originally posted by anton pulisov View Post
                                              Will he get to keep his cushy number at UEFA, or is that job dependent on him being in the FAI?
                                              No fear of him missing that - he's becoming an FAI Executive Vice President!

Comment

I see, like when Putin put Medvedev in charge for a few years.

Comment

https://twitter.com/MallowNews/status/1109544998758989824?s=19"]https://twitter.com/MallowNews/statu...758989824?s=19
                                                  Last edited by anton pulisov; 25-03-2019, 12:44.

Comment

The FAI instituted across the board pay cuts in 2012, including for the people who earn very much less than JD. JD took a pay cut as well, out of solidarity. Well, SIPTU have now discovered that the FAI started paying JD's rent at the exact same moment that he took the pay cut.

Safe to say that the less well off at the FAI are not very happy at the moment.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X