DELANEY OUT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DELANEY OUT

Who is this Irish number 13? That was hilarious.

Comment

DELANEY OUT

Anthony Stokes.

He's dying on his arse out there.

Comment

DELANEY OUT

Say what you like about Robbie Keane, he wouldn't have missed that one.

Comment

DELANEY OUT

Neuer comes out to make a clearance and makes an arse of it. Stokes finds himself bearing down on an empty goal, albeit from out wide. He almost kicks his shot out of the stadium.

Comment

DELANEY OUT

Stokes... what was that? outundoes himself? outdoesn't himself?

Now that the dread hand of a senile old man has been lifted, a new golden age surely beckons...

Comment

DELANEY OUT

2-0, Schurrle finishing coolly after Kroos picks him out. This could get ugly.

Comment

DELANEY OUT

Germany have since had two more goals disallowed. It won't finish up as another 6-1 but it won't finish 2-0 either.

Comment

DELANEY OUT

David Forde makes his third great save of the match, from Khedira this time.

Comment

DELANEY OUT

It's that man Stokes again, fucking up another good chance by dint of a terrible first touch. Aaaaaaaargh.

Germany go straight down the other end and the excellent Forde is finally beaten by a beautiful chipped finish from Ozil. The camera cuts to a celebrating German supporter wearing a huge Guinness hat.

Comment

DELANEY OUT

Ozil puts the icing on the cake. 3-0.

Comment

DELANEY OUT

well I managed to miss the entire game, because I locked my fucking house keys inside the house, and had to go on a fucking 80 mile round journey.

At least we didn't lack for central midfielders, and they kept it tight for a very long time, and had a couple of good chances when it could have made a lot of difference. Given that we had neither O'Shea or dunne tonight.

I would like at this point to say Fuck you Jogi Loew, you smug know nothing cunt. Football DNA my hole. If such a thing existed, then winning big tournaments is part of their DNA,and I don't see Jogi winning anything, anytime soon.

Glenn Whelan played in a Stoke City team that was the archetypal 442 or 4411 Premiership side for a number of years under Pullis. McCarthy played at Wigan in a formation that could be called 343. There might have been a different defensive and attacking set-up but there were two central midfielders

jonathan walters was talking about how stoke would switch between 4-4-2, 4-3-3, 4-5-1 or 4-4-1-1 in the same game. It's also worth pointing out that Glenn whelan doesn't exactly shine for stoke. Similarly wigan's 3-4-3 was as much 3-6-1 as 3-4-3 and their way of playing was about as far removed as possible.

Most of our players play in a team that plays in a variant of 4-5-1. Trappatoni would have known that if he hadn't decided that premiership football was chaotic nonsense, or had he even gone to watch them play.

Comment

DELANEY OUT

At least we didn't lack for central midfielders, and they kept it tight for a very long time
                          I'm afraid David Forde was the only man keeping it tight. We were stuffed, again.

Comment

DELANEY OUT

Well that's what a keeper is for in this type of game. There was a lot of long range shots that I saw in the highlights. I think that the important thing is that we didn't let in six goals

Comment

DELANEY OUT

It was as good as could have been expected under the circumstances. It's clear why Noel King is an U21 coach. His team runs itself into the ground, but no substitutions are made. Jesus.

It was much more watchable than a Trapattoni game. The team was well beaten, but they created a few very decent chances. There were times when they actually passed the ball out of defence. There was some improvement after five years of playing under the iron fist of hoofball. I'd rather go down trying than resort to hoofball shite and end up losing anyway. With a proper manager and with something to play for... there might be some hope.

Jogi Löw can fuck off. We only ever played Germany once at a major tournament and we made them look shit. Football DNA. How fitting that, during the match, the camera zoomed in on the local goalkeeping hero, to remind us all that German football DNA is, to this day, still firmly embedded in the gums of Patrick Battiston.

Comment

DELANEY OUT

It was every bit as bad as the 6-1. At no point did the midfield manage to keep things "tight". Germany stroked the ball around with ease.

This Champions League currency that people trade in really has to be checked. The calling for the inclusion of players solely on the basis that they have "Champions League experience" is one of the sillier traits of the modern fan. We used to get it when John O'Shea was struggling for both club & country, yet because he was getting games against Panathanaikos, Sparta Prague & Lille, this was good enough for him to get his game at international level. We get it with Anthony Stokes now. One good performance against Shakter Karagandy and he has the status of "Champions League performer", so we hear plenty of calls for his inclusion on this basis. The fact that Stokes is only good enough for the Scottish league is a lot more telling. And his performance tonight is evidence that a player playing Champions League football is not necessarily a sign of ability.

Comment

DELANEY OUT

We get it with Anthony Stokes now. One good performance against Shakter Karagandy and he has the status of "Champions League performer"
                                  One good moment!

Comment

DELANEY OUT

Outside Agent wrote: It was every bit as bad as the 6-1. At no point did the midfield manage to keep things "tight". Germany stroked the ball around with ease.
                                    This. They scored three, had two disallowed, hit the woodwork twice, and David Forde still had the best day of his entire career, bringing off four or five stunning, preposterously unlikely, saves. We were utterly fucking humped. Every bit as utterly as a year ago.

Comment

DELANEY OUT

Forde has done well in nearly all the games. Easily the stand-out man of the campaign, even though that's not saying a hell of a lot.

Someone can correct me but I think Ireland's lowest home competitive attendance of the modern age is the 11,000 who turned up for the 8-0 drubbing of Malta in Dalymount Park at the end of the Euro 84 qualifiers. The Kazakhstan game on Tuesday could beat that, unless John Delaney has a sudden fit of generosity and slashes all the tickets to about quarter-price.

Comment

DELANEY OUT

I don't remember any disallowed goals.

Comment

DELANEY OUT

It was as good as could have been expected under the circumstances. It's clear why Noel King is an U21 coach. His team runs itself into the ground, but no substitutions are made. Jesus.
                                          So is Learning To Make substitutions a module that Noel won't get to until he becomes a full coach?

Comment

DELANEY OUT

Comment

DELANEY OUT

dalliance wrote:
                                              So is Learning To Make substitutions a module that Noel won't get to until he becomes a full coach?
                                              Apparently not.

Comment

DELANEY OUT

the irish u-21 job is one of the worst jobs in football. listening to king after the match it is clear that he is a decent skin, but not exactly einstein

Comment

DELANEY OUT

Under Trap, Irish football has been dragging the Stone of Shame around for the past few years. Now his cursed reign is over it has been removed and replaced with the Stone of Triumph.

Comment

DELANEY OUT

I actually saw some reason for hope yesterday. I saw an Ireland team manufacture a few goal chances, from actual open play, by passing the ball along the ground.

We'll see how they get on at home against a team that isn't in the Top-4 of the world.

Only the doom sayers, who only ever see shit, saw no bright spots last night. These are the people who assume that everything is always shit, so we should assume we are shit, and therefore always play shit tactics. I guess watching Scottish club football does that to people. Don't want to mention any names, of course.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X