X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'City' is so common...

Hull City Tigers.

'City' is so common...

As I said on the other thread, I'd quite like it but they need to drop the "City" bit, if they're going to go for it do it wholeheartedly.

"HCT" sounds like something you'd pick up from a Cardiff Dragons fan in Ibiza.

Comment

'City' is so common...

This rebranding didn't go down very well in Rugby League. Halifax Blue Socks anyone?

Comment

'City' is so common...

I am glad that this thread exists. I am against the Hull Tigers rebranding of the Redbirds thread. Also, I am not likely to stumble across any reporting of further atrocities out of South Wales.

Comment

'City' is so common...

Just heard about this. Who lets these arseholes loose on perfectly respectable football clubs? Can they not grasp that this is not America? First they try to make the Rugby League into a cheap-rate NFL and now this. If any proof was needed that Hull is a RL town at heart, this must be it. No wonder it took them so long to get into the top flight (although like buses, after all that waiting two promotions came along in quick succession). All Hull fans out there have my sympathy.

Comment

'City' is so common...

To say I'm fucking fuming is an understatement.

General consensus is about 80/20 violently opposed to it.

Comment

'City' is so common...

1974ddr wrote: Just heard about this. Who lets these arseholes loose on perfectly respectable football clubs? Can they not grasp that this is not America?
              Not sure there is much evidence of US sports franchises changing names unless it is legally required or a significant relocation.

Comment

'City' is so common...

The Utah Jazz. Because Jazz is the first concept that comes to mind when you consider Salt Lake City.

The most irritating part is up until this Allam was doing a good job. He spent quite a bit of time emphasising his local connections, and now goes and pisses all over what the locals might think.

Comment

'City' is so common...

Hamish! Dougal! wrote: To say I'm fucking fuming is an understatement.

My commiserations and I sincerely hope your support does something significant about it.

Some of what I've seen on twitter emphasises the sneaky news-management that is often the hallmark of this kind of thing by the club announcing it on the eve of a much-loved player's (Andy Dawson) testimonial to try and stem any boycott/protest.

Comment

'City' is so common...

I didn't realise that. Arseholes.

Comment

'City' is so common...

Harry Truscott wrote:
                      Originally posted by Hamish! Dougal!
                      To say I'm fucking fuming is an understatement.

My commiserations and I sincerely hope your support does something significant about it.

Some of what I've seen on twitter emphasises the sneaky news-management that is often the hallmark of this kind of thing by the club announcing it on the eve of a much-loved player's (Andy Dawson) testimonial to try and stem any boycott/protest.
                      Thanks. I know you've been there, and the movement is well under way.

Those declaring themselves happy with this whole shebang are clearly happy at being lied to, as Hull City Tigers/Hull Tigers has been used for 'marketing purposes' since about April, and while most supporters worried about a stealth rebrand, those in charge were adamant the club's name would not be changing. This has been ultimately proved to be bollocks.

A statement from the club has stated that fans are still in a position to call the club whatever they like. Gee, thanks.

Comment

'City' is so common...

There is that, actually. The fans can have "Hull City' chants and songs and call them Hull City still. Much easier to ignore this than a colour and badge change. Ah, fuck it, they are still arseholes.

Comment

'City' is so common...

I presume they waited until all the season ticket money was banked to do this. Cunts.

Comment

'City' is so common...

And you s l o w l y have the MLS teams doing away from the usual "City - Nickname" style.

DC United
                            Real Salt Lake
                            Sporting KC
                            FC Dalllas
                            Toronto FC
                            Seattle Sounders FC

but yet no "City," "Town," "Rovers," "Wanderers," "Eintracht," "Fortuna," "Borussia," or a team signified by the last two digits of their formation.

Comment

'City' is so common...

It's a creeping madness. If this guy is local doesn't he get that when fans love their team (save perhaps the echelon of global-bandwagon-million-shirt-sales organisations) it's the whole kit and kaboodle: traditions, badge, colours, NAME.

There were a few earlier examples if perhaps not driven by such venal designs; as a kid growing up in the 70s I remember my confusion the first time I heard of a team called Leyton Orient. In my memory there was only a team called Orient. Not sure why and when that had been done, or how and when it was changed back. I hope LO is the original as it's a great name.

Woolwich Arsenal anyone? Newton He....

Comment

'City' is so common...

Cal, you've forgotten about Man City East (aka New York City FC).

Comment

'City' is so common...

Sorry, my bad. Shades of Dennis Tueart.

Also there is no MLS team ending in "Athletic."

Comment

'City' is so common...

How is Seattle Sounders FC moving away from the city-nickname thing? And if it is then Vancouver Whitecaps FC should be listed too. Actually, judging by their play-by-play they seem to prefer Whitecaps FC.

Comment

'City' is so common...

Cal Alamein wrote: And you s l o w l y have the MLS teams doing away from the usual "City - Nickname" style.

DC United
                                      Real Salt Lake
                                      Sporting KC
                                      FC Dalllas
                                      Toronto FC
                                      Seattle Sounders FC

but yet no "City," "Town," "Rovers," "Wanderers," "Eintracht," "Fortuna," "Borussia," or a team signified by the last two digits of their formation.
                                      Do FC Kansas City count?

Comment

'City' is so common...

Have more U.K. teams added City than subtracted it?

A preliminary sample of two tells us that it's the path to success (Swansea Town) or failure (Chester). In conclusion, more research is needed.

Comment

'City' is so common...

It sounds like a short lived and entirely unsuccessful band formed in Humberside in the wake of Bay City Rollers success.

Comment

'City' is so common...

E10 Rifle wrote: I presume they waited until all the season ticket money was banked to do this. Cunts.
                                            That they did, but I know for a fact they were hit by a glut of returns yesterday.

Daily Mail reports that the FA have rejected the name change. Hope that's true.

Comment

'City' is so common...

Correction, the PL have rejected the name change. As you were.

Comment

'City' is so common...

I certainly won't be adding Tigers to my league ladders. Although I've checked and it doesn't say "City", either, just Hull. Maybe Match magazine knew something we didn't.

Comment

'City' is so common...

tee rex wrote: Have more U.K. teams added City than subtracted it?

A preliminary sample of two tells us that it's the path to success (Swansea Town) or failure (Chester). In conclusion, more research is needed.
                                                  Cambridge Town -> Cambridge City when Cambridge received the charter in 1951. However they remained a successful amateur side until joining the Southern League 7 years later (where you can find them even today).

Comment

Working...
                                                  X