No announcement yet.

Local Football, aka the Other Non-Leagues Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes, I'll doubtless be able to tick off quite a few more as yet unseen teams. It has though completely messed up my quest for another complete league of grounds. I was only missing two from the EMCL.

Comment

Not what you meant, but this is a pretty remarkable run for Marshall. I was surprised to learn they even have a men's soccer team.

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/...lege-cup-title

Comment

Marshall Thundering Herd is a great name but I can't help thinking that they should have gone with Marshall Goes Up To XI.

Comment

Originally posted by cantagalo View Post
          Yes, I'll doubtless be able to tick off quite a few more as yet unseen teams. It has though completely messed up my quest for another complete league of grounds. I was only missing two from the EMCL.
          I had the Hellenic Division One East completed and only one to go on the Hellenic League Premier. The Hellenic Div 1 East is no more and the Hellenic Premier has welcomed eleven new clubs. I'll have a bit of work to do to plan some trips in 2021/22.

One of the things I like most about non-league is how much it changes. I've followed Bracknell for about ten years and I must have seen them play upwards of 100 clubs in that time.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
            Marshall Thundering Herd is a great name but I can't help thinking that they should have gone with Marshall Goes Up To XI.
            You’re not wrong.

Comment

I could probably go and find out for myself, but does anyone know why Macclesfield have been allowed to re-start at Step 5 when Bury had to go in at Step 6? Was it simply because they applied to, or is there some other factor (like an available space in the division)?

Comment

Originally posted by mirko bolesan View Post

I had the Hellenic Division One East completed and only one to go on the Hellenic League Premier. The Hellenic Div 1 East is no more and the Hellenic Premier has welcomed eleven new clubs. I'll have a bit of work to do to plan some trips in 2021/22.
                The Hellenic League seems to have been slowly migrating west in recent years. Weren't Lydney a bit of an outlier for a while? But now Malvern and Hereford are in there.

Comment

Originally posted by Third rate Leszno View Post
                  I could probably go and find out for myself, but does anyone know why Macclesfield have been allowed to re-start at Step 5 when Bury had to go in at Step 6? Was it simply because they applied to, or is there some other factor (like an available space in the division)?
                  I just assumed it was a product of the general trend for elevation with the reshuffle.

Comment

Is it because Bury AFC can't be considered officially a 'phoenix/continuation club' while the original club still stalks the earth, undead but not playing football matches?

Comment

Originally posted by Nesta View Post
                      Is it because Bury AFC can't be considered officially a 'phoenix/continuation club' while the original club still stalks the earth, undead but not playing football matches?
                      Yes. Macclesfield are a continuation of the old club so get to start at Step 5. (If they had gone bust at Step 3/4/5 they'd have had to restart at 6).

Bury AFC are a brand new club who were given special dispensation to start at Step 6 as making them trapse around Step 7 leagues with a few hundred fans wouldn't have been good for anyone..

Comment

Originally posted by Uros Predic View Post
                        Seems odd to me that the United Counties League has a Premier North and a Premier South at Step 5, but only one non-regionalised Step 6 Division, but I guess that's come from the East Midlands Counties league disbanding.
                        Combined Counties now has two Step 5 leagues (North and South) and one Step 6 league. It will make the league's League Cup competition odldy unbalanced.

Comment

As far as I can tell from the FA doc, the changes are:

Step 4 (7 divisions > 8 divisions)
                          Expanded: Northern PL Div 1 North West/South East > East/West/Midlands

Step 5 (14 divisions > 15 divisions)
                          Expanded: Combined Counties Prem > Prem North/Prem South

Step 6 (20 divisions > 18 divisions)
                          Merged: Hellenic League Division 1 East/West > Division 1
                          Removed: West Midlands (Regional) League Premier Division
                          Renamed: Eastern Counties Division 1 North/South > Division 1/Eastern Senior League

Combined Counties is the only step 5 league to have two divisions at that level (but, as mirko notes, has only one division in step 6). All the step 5 leagues have a second tier in step 6, with the exception of the Eastern Counties/North West Counties which have two, and the Essex Senior League, which doesn't have one. South West Peninsula League (two divisions) and East Midlands Counties start at step 6.

Are they planning to move to 16 divisions in each of step 5 and 6 eventually? That would be the neatest thing to do, although I suppose if there's a concentration of clubs in certain urban areas it may be impractical. Would also be interesting to see if they're going to go for 20 teams per division across the board in steps 5 and 6. They're mostly there, but about a third are short or long (mostly the former).

They also really need to do some renaming at steps 3 and 4. There should be four leagues there (I don't really care if one is actually administered by another league) with one division in step 3 and two secondary divisions at step 4. Two Southern Leagues in step 3 and three Isthmian/Northern Prem leagues in step 4 is daft. And squish the Combined Counties League Prem back down to one division (or turn it into a separate league).

Finally, how much has the total of clubs in steps 1-6 increased over the past few seasons? As recently as 2017-18 there were only three divisions at step 3 and six at step 4. But that might have been balanced out by having fewer teams in the divisions at step 5/6.

Comment

Staines have been plummeting recently but must have thought their luck was changing going 0-4 up at Hanwell Town today. They somehow managed to be pegged back to 4-4 by half time and eventually lost 6-5.

Comment

Working...
                            X