No announcement yet.

Local Football, aka the Other Non-Leagues Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hackney Wick have actually existed as a separate club for a few seasons concurrently with London Bari but seem to have taken them (or their league place) over this close season.

Comment

Yes, they merged with London Bari, but basically took them over and their ESL place with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin S View Post
        AGMs gone ok locally? Any controversies?
        The only controversy in the NW Counties has been around the placement of Northwich Victoria (relegated from NPL1N), in relation to the formation of a Newco as the Oldco (Northwich Victoria Football Club 2007 Limited) sought to exit administration. It seems that the FA Membership Committee consented to this arrangement, and NWCFL clubs approved their acceptance into the division at the AGM. Ironically the new entity will now be playing league derbies against 1874 Northwich, who were set up by Vics fans a few years ago in protest against the way their club was being run into the ground.

Otherwise the Premier division has gained Burscough, Charnock Richard and City of Liverpool, whilst the 1st Division copped for Cammell Laird 1907, Nelson, New Mills and Abbey Hulton United.

Comment

I'm wildly excited to see that Rayners Lane have moved from the Hellenic East to the Spartan South Midlands Division One.

Comment

Originally posted by Kettle View Post
            There used to be the Tony Kempster site, but he died.

Non-League Matters has maps, but shows the clubs league by league.
            The message board on Tony's site is still worth a visit for all things ground-hoppery.

Running low on local junior grounds I'm expecting to take in a few Northern Alliance games in the coming season in between trips west and into the North juniors.

Looking as far as possible to get to the decent ones before I'm reduced to 3/4g hell though.

Comment

Ex-Kings Lynn Linnet, Dom Dwyer, scored 17 mins into his debut for the USA National team yesterday vs Ghana. Norfolk wonder.

Comment

So, Felixtowe & Walton United have 12 wins from 12, then, as noted on the 100% thread.

Assuming they win the Eastern Counties League and take promotion, and if no Suffolk sides are relegated from Isthmian Div.1N (a fate which 2014–15 and 2015–16 ECL champions Norwich United are doing their best to seal, it seems) it will mean there are seven non-league Suffolk sides at Step 4 or higher, which is probably some kind of record for the county. Again, it seems that Leiston rather than Lowestoft are Suffolk's best side behind Ipswich Town, taking up a spot in the Isthmian Premier playoff places early on.

Back on topic to the ECL, though, and Coggeshall Town in second place are something of a success story. Olly Murs' favourite side were winners of the Essex and Suffolk Border League two years ago, went straight up through ECL Div.1 and are second behind F&WU in the Premier Division. Perhaps there's some money behind them.

Comment

This has picked up a fair amount of coverage, but the eternal ballet of grassroots football ought to be available to every OTFer. The blue team are losing 3-1 as the game goes into injury time...

https://twitter.com/James_Dart/status/947496225468768257

Comment

Wonderful!

Comment

<shouts randomly> Fook off!

Comment

That's great.

Comment

So, NPL sides Ossett Albion and Ossett Town are to merge.

On the face of it a sensible move in a small town of circa 15,000, trying to support two step 4 teams.

Except over the summer, Albion were taken over by Unita, probably not the Angolan revolutionary militia, but with equally mysterious intentions. They had previously gained control of Warrenside, a very smart training complex in Huddersfield, which in time has succumbed resident teams Storths Hall, Yorkshire Lions, and Bradley Rangers.

The stated intention for Albion was to provide an outlet for the academy that had sprung up at Warrenside, but within a few months, has seen them now also gain control of the larger and more established Ossett sides, who also have a very large and primely located town centre ground.

Initial plans (from local sources) is that initially the combined club will play at Town, with Albion being used as yet another academy set up.

Not sure what the end game is here, perhaps them gaining control of every sub level 4 club in Kirklees, as the West Yorkshire version of Redbridge Forest.

Comment

I don't know if folk remember Felixtowe & Walton United's long 100% streak at the start of this season? Anyway, Coggeshall Town were just about keeping tabs on them and, as we approach the finale, are in fact top of the table. They have 100 points from 40 games (of 46), while F&WU have 99 points from 41. I'm not sure how many sides are going up from this division to the Isthmian, since there will be three second-level divisions in the Isthmian next season instead of two. It could be more than just the champions, I presume.

Comment

Looking at the lower leagues below the Isthmian, I hadn't realised how just far Histon had fallen.

And in reply to BB&F's February post, the whole thing seems a bit odd, given Ossett is essentially Wakefield and Warrenside is very much in Huddersfield. The venue used to have quite a smart stand before it was demolished following Bradley's demise (which must be more than 20 years ago).

Comment

Yeah, Histon's attendance on Saturday was 158, which is probably about average for the ECL Premier, and only about half of what Saffron Walden tend to get.

Comment

Doesn't really qualify for the Conference North thread at this stage, so...

North Ferriby have new owners, once again. The idea of Jamie Waltham going off to do charity work in India will probably raise a few eyebrows among the Hull sports fraternity.

Comment

Originally posted by Me Old Flower View Post
                                    Looking at the lower leagues below the Isthmian, I hadn't realised how just far Histon had fallen.
                                    They beat Shrewsbury in the FA CUP a few years ago. I presume the money ran out.

Comment

Good news for Cray Wanderers.

Comment

When I saw this thread had been bumped I assumed it was to do with this story from Ireland

Comment

They mentioned that on Five Live this morning. When they said about all the other matches holding a minute's silence I cracked up. Proper sitcomtastic farce, this.

Comment

The not-dead man was on national radio earlier, he seems okay with it. Though he has moved to Galway rather than back to Spain, as was reported.

Comment

Nice to see some decent title battles looking set to go to the wire in the Southern Counties East League this season...

In the Premier, with four games to go, four points separate the top three...

1. 81pts (+48) Corinthian
                                              2. 79pts (+63) Cray Valley Paper Mills
                                              3. 77pts (+43) Fisher

..with Fisher hosting Corinthian on Easter Monday, a win for the home side could really open things up for the final two games. Chatham are just a point back in fourth, but only have three games left, including one against Fisher, so are probably out of it.

In Division One, also with four games to go, only five points separate the top five...

1. 66pts (+48) Bridon Ropes
                                              2. 66pts (+34) Welling Town
                                              3. 65pts (+47) Erith & Belvedere
                                              4. 62pts (+38) Kennington
                                              5. 61pts (+37) Sutton Athletic

...if they win their next match Sutton Athletic could have the biggest say in the run in, as their final three matches are Kennington (home), Erith & Belvedere (away), finishing with Bridon Ropes (home).

Comment

I was surprised to see that Met Police are second in the Southern League Premier South. They were incredibly upset by the switch from the Isthmian but seem to be thriving,

Ostensibly they've got a good chance of making it to the Conference South. Though as Weymouth are 7 points clear in the one automatic promotion slot and there are divisional and inter-divisional play-offs to navigate through for one of the other two promotion slots at that level there is a long way to go yet.

Mind you, given the relative lack of local opponents and their reliance on away support , crowds have actually gone down to an average of under 150 per match.

Comment

Your post prompted me to have a look around the teams in that division, as H&Y might be put back there next season (have to wait for the Great Reorganisation Game to take place in the summer to find out where we'll go after winning the Isthmian South Central) and noticed that ex-Hayes man Mark Molesley is in charge at Weymouth. Many fond memories of him charging around in midfield during our first spell in the Conference and glad to see he's doing well with the Terras.

Also noticed that Harefield Utd have strolled away with the South Midlands Div 1 title this season, nice to see them doing better and their crowds are edging up to the 100 mark as well.

Comment

Does anyone know what is happening at Staines Town? The first team to be relegated from any league in England this season, they currently have 12 points from 42 games and lost 9(NINE)-1 to Harrow Borough today,

Then there is this peculiar pinned tweet on their account, responding to allegations that I'm unaware of :

[URL]https://twitter.com/stainestownfc/status/1092477825653895173?s=21[/URL]
                                                    Last edited by Ray de Galles; 22-04-2019, 16:36.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X