Great tactical question of the day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Righto great minds of OTF, here's your poser of the day.

Apparently, Bill Shankly once said a team should consist of eight piano carriers, and three piano players. Brian Clough said something similar about his teams. They were made up of a goalkeeper, a centre half, a centre forward, and eight low maintenance others that can run. Graham Westley also goes by this system, and probably claims he invented it, the dick.

So, how much of that is Clough and Shankly doing their motor-mouth schtick? Or does that seem a viable theory for days gone by? Would it work now? And why is Graham Westley such a dick?

Spurs seem to be having a right good go at it. The problem is, if the top players don't perform, the team falls apart.

Comment

Hang on - did Shankly regularly play two men short?

Comment

Oh fuck. Three piano players, of course.

I was eating my lunch, speaking on the phone, reading the paper and posting on OTF all at once. I can only apologise for my inherent shitness.

Comment

Well, there are piano movers and there are piano movers. The Galaxy's starting XI consists of three stars and a group of half-starved Uzbek refugees (well, they might as well be) and they aren't exactly setting the world alight.

I'd be willing to bet that even the arrival of Clough or Shankly to replace Gullit wouldn't make a damn bit of difference, either.

Comment

Shankly's piano carriers/players philosophy is one that Benitez supports to this day.

Comment

Working...
            X