Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Match-going thread, 4 August to 10 August incl.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Huddersfield Town 2-3 Middlesbrough
    League Cup First Round
    Att: 8057

To the John Smith’s for the first time in 25 years when it was The Alfred McAlpine (it’s the Kirklees if there isn’t a sponsor) and had only one end. The area around the ground has changed a lot since then and is really rather pleasant. Boro made a few changes from Saturday and were behind after only three minutes following some defensive faffing around. The game changed about ten minutes later, however, when Isaiah Jones was bundled over when through on goal and the defender was served with a red card. The equaliser came when Sammy Silvera was put through on the left, cut inside and scored with a shot that hit both posts. In the second half Middlesbrough had most of the possession and took a while to make it count but after goals from Jones and substitute Riley McGree it looked comfortable and Michael Carrick saw fit to give Fin Cartwright his debut. At 16 years of age he had to wear a shirt missing the main sponsor. Boro carelessly allowed Huddersfield to grab a second in time added on leading to a nervous couple of minutes before the final whistle.

The match kicked off at 7pm. I don’t know why it was so early but let’s have more of this please. It was my first midweek away match by public transport outside the London area for absolutely years. It was over by 9 so local ‘buses were still running as were the trains – just about. This is Transpennine Express country so there were ‘short notice cancellations’ which, combined with the overtime ban made things a bit touch-and-go. Three trains back through Leeds were cancelled leaving just the one fast train and a stopper and there was nothing going west – as I arrived at the station a friend who lives in Manchester was boarding a minibus. Nevertheless, earlier kick-offs can only be a good thing, in my view.

Comment

Leeds United 2-1 Shrewsbury Town
      EFL Cup round 1

Ah well, Salop won the first half. I enjoyed Elland Road.

Comment

What a crowd for a first round league cup game

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
          Leeds United 2-1 Shrewsbury Town
          EFL Cup round 1

Ah well, Salop won the first half. I enjoyed Elland Road.

Comment

Three matches for me earlier this week:
            Monday - FC Kirkby 2-0 Rainhill Town Reserves (West Cheshire League Division Three)
            Tuesday - Southport Hesketh 1-2 Haslingden St Mary's (West Lancashire League Division One)
            Wednesday - Forden United 2-1 Bishops Castle Town (Central Wales League - North)

FC Kirkby are making their debut in the West Cheshire League this season and made it two wins from two with a goal late in each half. They are playing at Eddie McCardle Playing Fields, which has several pitches and lies adjacent to the Liverpool training ground and a massive Amazon depot.

On Tuesday I went to watch Southport's second club at their Bankfield Road ground. Goalless in the first half before Haslingden scored two goals in quick succession early in the second. Things got worse for Southport when they had a player sent off for throwing the ball in the face of an opponent, but they seemed to prefer playing with ten, getting one goal back and making the visitors sweat for the remainder of the game.

Only new ground of the week was a visit to mid-Wales to watch the international match between Forden and Bishops Castle. Forden play on a ground by the community centre, with half time drinks served in the adjoining bowls club. There is a big bank behind one goal and good views over the surrounding countryside. Forden probably felt that they should have won more comfortably, let down by some poor finishing. Bishops Castle's goal was a Beckham-esque free kick, about forty metres out and near the touchline, ending up in the top corner of the net.

Comment

Working...
            X