No Seventh Hell: Division 3 2013-14

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was going to call this thread The Land Of The Out Of Town Stadium, but Yeovil and Scunthorpe escaped, so...

Anyway, for me, I'm waiting for the away games at Brentford and Leyton Orient. Watch them be on Boxing Day or something...

We've apparently signed McCormack from Swindon. "Apparently" because Swindon have announced he's gone, but we haven't confirmed his arrival. Probably something to do with the date on his contract expiring or something. Other fans seem non-plussed, but I thought he was Swindon's outstanding player in the PO game at our place, along with their on-loan Tottenham chappy.

Forrester is out of contract and hasn't signed yet, I wouldn't be surprised if he goes, but this was his first full season and he only played well up until January.

Comment

What's the latest situation with Coventry? They were reported as having groundshare talks with Walsall.

Comment

Danger Weir ahead.

Comment

Ah, back at our spiritual home again (along with the Millers).

We made our first big signing today: Amine Linganzi from Accrington, who tore our midfield to bits when they played us last year.

Comment

This is a real novelty, in my OTF life we've always been in the Division Four thread.

Andrew Davies signed a new contract last week (two years, option for a third) which is a great way to start the off-season. He was a key factor in the run-in.

Hopefully the other out of contract players see that - it was rumoured Davies might be off elsewhere - and stay aboard the ship rather than seek a pay day elsewhere. I don't think the team needs too much tinkering with.

Comment

We've signed Clarke-Harris from Peterborough (talented but attitude problem) and Dayton from Kilmarnock (talented but made of glass). Lost out, probably to Rangers, for Vigurs of Ross County (talented but lazy) and Mohamed of Cheltenham (talented but inconsistent).

There's a theme in Lee Johnson's targets.

More worrying are the departures: we've lost both senior goalkeepers and our youth keeper is being linked with Everton and Manchester United. Neither of our first choice centre backs have signed new contracts. And we have only one experienced striker (Baxter). I'm not panicking yet but it would be nice to start assembling a team soon.

Also, there are continuing stories that our owner is/was in discussions with Stephen Vaughan. The club has stated we won't be sold to his consortium (despite bullish statements from Vaughan to the contrary), but the latest rumour is that he loaned money to us to cover wages during a pre-FA Cup run cashflow crisis.

This one could run and run.

Comment

With the L1 turnover/wages ratio dropping to 60% next season, we could see League form dominated by the clubs that have bigger gates/richer sugar daddies.

But then again some of those bigger clubs are struggling with existing debt issues, and there always seems to be a smaller unfancied team or two snapping away at the favourites heels.

I've a feeling Crewe could have a good year to build on their Paint Pot success, and wouldn't be surprised if Gillingham have another good season if Allen doesn't lose the plot.

Comment

Bloody hell you lot the fixtures aren’t even out yet.

Comment

Too early in the summer for me to find any enthusiasm for watching Carlisle next season - maybe an exciting signing or two would do it, but with a reduced wage bill to match the expected reduced gates I shan't be holding my breath.

Having said that, I'm hoping to get to Bristol City, Wolves and Rotherham as new grounds, and Bradford cos I haven't been there since we played Guiseley in the FA Cup in the early 1990s.

Comment

Disappointed with this thread, a) because I don't understand the thread title; b) because I was tee-ing up "Thrown to the Wolves" as an alternative; and c) because this is not the football season. The fucking cricket season has barely got going yet, no one knows who's signed for who and there are no predictions worth making.

We won't do as well as last season, I don't think, mind.

Comment

As a guess, this was going to be Rotherham's seventh season in the division from hell, if they hadn't scuppered GO's planned thread title by going and getting promoted?

Comment

Ah right - on reflection I wondered whether that might be it.

Comment

Yup that's it. And I started it 'cos Sky Sports News have started including us in the League 1 news bits at the bottom of the screen, so it must be official...

Comment

Love the poll on Rotherham's website :

Where will the Millers finish this season?
                              * Top three
                              * Play-offs
                              * Mid-table
                              Hmm...

Comment

Heh, I hadn't seen that. I'm just hoping for twentieth or higher...

Comment

E10 Rifle wrote: Disappointed with this thread, a) because I don't understand the thread title; b) because I was tee-ing up "Thrown to the Wolves" as an alternative; and c) because this is not the football season. The fucking cricket season has barely got going yet, no one knows who's signed for who and there are no predictions worth making.

We won't do as well as last season, I don't think, mind.
                                  I concur with all of the Honourable Member for Leyton's points especially with regard to the thread title. "Thrown to the Wolves" is a much better, less elliptical alternative.

With that, I'll shuffle back to the kit thread which is the only acceptable place to frequent in Football during the summer and wait for the D4 one to pop up at a suitable time.

Comment

It also would've been seventh hell for Bradford City. And sixth for Port Vale and Gillingham...

Comment

Of course, 'The Company of Wolves' would have been an even better title.

Comment

Gangster Octopus wrote: It also would've been seventh hell for Bradford City. And sixth for Port Vale and Gillingham...
                                        Not quite true, that. We got promoted in the first season but came straight back down before anyone noticed.

Comment

I make this our 13th season at this level.
                                          Which must put Oldham on about 17...

Comment

It feels much, much longer.

Comment

I think we've had 4 seasons outside of Div 3 since 1977 and only 1 of those was in Division 2. 92/93, 98/99 and 07/08-08/09. Cantagalo will tell me if I'm wrong.

Comment

Since 1978. 1977-8 saw another glorious promotion from Division 4.

What really rankles with me is the fact that I've only seen them play above the bottom two divisions in one season in my lifetime - which regrettably stretches back a bit further than 1977.

Comment

BBC Sports Website wrote: Coventry City's adminstrators have accepted an offer from Otium Entertainment Group Limited to buy the League One club.
                                                  Which ones are they?

Comment

Working...
                                                  X