Driving Away From Home (Park) - Division Two / Championship 2023/24

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Driving Away From Home (Park) - Division Two / Championship 2023/24

Argyle's first season at this level since 2009/10 and the club are already making noises we'll have the smallest playing budget as spending on infrastructure (new training facilities, a dedicated ground for the women's team) matters more. They're right of course but I expect many fans to be in meltdown about a lack of ambition by the time we get to October.

Last seasons top scorer for us - Ryan Hardie - has signed a 3yr contract for us today but last seasons sadly injury prone star turn -Niall Ennis - has yet to sign and is rumoured to be Blackburn bound and our star loanee of last season - Bali Mumba - is now deservedly part of Norwich's plans for the season. We're facing a few changes and with our manager (Schumaker) already being linked with other clubs, its already looking like it'll be a difficult season.

But hey! we're back in the Wannabe Premiership so I'll try to enjoy the ride.
    Last edited by super furry dice; 25-05-2023, 20:34.

Don't blame you for being keen, but at least wait until we know who we're playing...

Comment

Thinking about it, as far as I know, the last time that Rotherham United and Plymouth Argyle were in the second division, we ended up as the bottom two teams...

Comment

Notwithstanding the thread appearing before the playoffs and Premier League relegation have been resolved, I applaud the title that is inclusive both of people who call things by their names and people who call things something descriptive instead.

Comment

Originally posted by Gangster Octopus View Post
          Thinking about it, as far as I know, the last time that Rotherham United and Plymouth Argyle were in the second division, we ended up as the bottom two teams...
          It's not an omen... for us anyway. We were here together back in 2004/5 and I'm not that shocked you've forgotten and I apologise for the reminder.

Comment

I, of course, naturally applaud an Argyle related title for the seasons thread.

Comment

Originally posted by Greenlander View Post

It's not an omen... for us anyway. We were here together back in 2004/5 and I'm not that shocked you've forgotten and I apologise for the reminder.
              Yup, I've tried to remove that season from my memory...

Comment

Hey everybody! Gosh, it looks competitive in here.

Comment

I, of course, naturally applaud an Argyle related title for the seasons thread.
                  I figured it might be our only chance to have an Argyle related title at this level and if that means I peaked too soon, well, hey! And it was my earworm yesterday.

I think the gap since we played Rotherham at this level is likely to be the longest of any fixture pairing we'll get this season, unless Everton do drop into it come Sunday.

Comment

Colin has signed up for another year at Huddersfield.

Comment

Wahey. Or something.

Comment

Originally posted by super furry dice View Post

I think the gap since we played Rotherham at this level is likely to be the longest of any fixture pairing we'll get this season, unless Everton do drop into it come Sunday.
                        You know I'm exactly the kind of person who'll look this up...

We actually need to shift west a bit as it's Huddersfield who we've waited longest to meet at these giddy heights all the way back when was was young in the 1987/88 season. And the only other team we'll meet next season that we never played in our last spell in the second division is Blackburn. That game was the David Speedie hat-trick relegation one.

Comment

Applause. Blackburn surprises me a little but Huddersfield less so now you've mentioned them. Top work.

Comment

The approximately 50% accurate fixture list for the second division is out this morning. Sky telly have rewarded Ipswich supporters for their team's success last season by sending them to Sunderland for a 5pm kick-off on the Sunday.
                            Last edited by Capybara; 22-06-2023, 10:26.

Comment

Our first trip to Southampton since before England won the World Cup is on a Saturday, not a Tuesday/Wednesday as expected.

Comment

Middlesbrough start at home to Millwall. The last two seasons this happened, Boro were promoted.

Comment

Skyjacked from the off as Leicester's first game is against Coventry, at noon on the Sunday.

Comment

We already knew we were going to be home on the opening day and we've got the very first game of the season as it's Southampton on Sky on the Friday night. That should have been a really big occasion - and it's still possible it might be - what with being back at this level and a name club, but after this week's events it's been spoiled a bit. If we get an underwhelming managerial appointment and not much by way of signings it's not hard to imagine Darren Moore's name being chanted should things go badly.

Comment

We normally play the Warnock team at home in a pre-season friendly as his place is just the other side of the Tamar. That must have been in the computers consideration for our first game.

Not sure what Huddersfield fans will think about his appearance in the video for our Evergreen membership packages though.

Comment

Originally posted by Capybara View Post
                                        Middlesbrough start at home to Millwall. The last two seasons this happened, Boro were promoted.
                                        Ipswich start at Sunderland (on Sunday evening). The last season this happened, Ipswich were relegated.

Comment

Norwich away on Good Friday. A near 680 mile round-trip for the majority of Argyle's away support on a Bank Holiday. We also get Sunderland and Middlesboro away as consecutive aways (albeit with the mercy of a home game in between the two). Bristol City away is on a Tuesday night which gives me an outside chance of getting a ticket in the away end.

Comment

We normally play the Warnock team at home in a pre-season friendly as his place is just the other side of the Tamar. That must have been in the computers consideration for our first game.

Not sure what Huddersfield fans will think about his appearance in the video for our Evergreen membership packages though.
                                            Huddersfield are having a week down that way in mid-July, which includes matches against Bodmin, Tavistock and Liskeard.

Comment

Colin plays pre-season matches on his front lawn as often as possible. Has done for years. I think Sharon insists.

Comment

Sunderland have signed
                                                Jensen Seelt. 20yr old Dutch centre half from PSV B team.
                                                Luis Hemir Silva Semedo. 19yr old Portuguese centre forward from Benfica B team.
                                                Nectarios Triantis. 20 yr old Australian centre half from Central Coast Mariners.
                                                Jobe Bellingham. 17 yr English central midfielder from Birmingham City.

All over 6’ thankfully. We only had 6 players over 6’ in the first team squad last season and in the championship that’s asking for trouble.

In our NE regular return home restaurant on Friday night were a group in the corner facing the bar who everyone else in there were avoiding looking at……until they stood up to leave that is. Then it was photo requests from every table on their way out. It’s not every day you’re dining beside your clubs latest signing……….and his older brother who has just signed for Real Madrid for £100mish. Fortunately our table wasn’t on their route to the door so I didn’t have a choice to make.
                                                There’s a pub opposite with about ten outside tables and was packed on the hottest day of the year up there so far.
                                                I thought they should’ve gone out the back door into the car park but their cars were just across the pavement from the front door. Big mistake. The moment they set foot on the pavement was like the start of a marathon dozens legging it across the road.
                                                It took the pair of them longer to get from their tables to the cars pulling away than to eat their meals. Cars pulling over as they drove past etc. To give them their due they had time for everyone. Very professional.
                                                At one point once everyone’s photo ops were sorted they were in two separate cars (think Jude was off to Spain) after much hugging by their mam when their dad realised he wanted something from the car boot. While rummaging around more cars pulled up and a few kids were having photos through the car window behind drivers side. Which meant they were standing in the road. Both lads then got back out of the cars and returned to the pavement to prevent any accidents which resulted in even more cars pulling over for photos.
                                                Both seemed very professional about it all and came across as good kids.

Our current Academy head was doing the same job at Brum when Bellingham the elder went through it and is now considered a family friend apparently. Word is he advised choosing Dortmund over PL clubs after Sanchos showing there.

I wouldn’t say no to the money but maaaan I wouldn’t want to be famous.
                                                Last edited by Sunderporinostesta; 26-06-2023, 19:41.

Comment

Hope you're all looking forward to your trip to Elland Road this season.

https://twitter.com/danhoughton_/sta...lTNFlWkbOIMDpA

Comment

Working...
                                                  X